Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Hopefully not down to div 2!! I'd say we will escape relegation.

Yeah I was at the First game, mooney played in midfield, hampered by the injury he picked up on Sunday but still did rightly kicked a few good scores. We left ourselves too much to do in the end having trailed by 5 at one stage in 2nd half against the wind. Good representation from teams in all championship levels from ourselves this season. Obviously dissapointing regards to Seniors on Sunday and reserve finals but at least we were in them which is progress! Not to mention underage teams getting to the latter stages of their respective championships.

outinfront

Tricky enough game for Saul this weekend.  You would think that St Paul's will want to win their last home game of the season.  Bredagh and Drumaness will be hoping for a slip up.

True Blue

Quote from: redandblackareback on September 28, 2011, 11:36:25 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 28, 2011, 10:44:34 PM
Down Minor Simi Finals

Warrenpoint 1-9 Rostrevor 0-10

Kilcoo 1-11 Burren 1-7

Kilcoo and the Point set up a repeat of the 2009 minor final in a windy Mayobridge tonight.
Marty Devlin was our star man kicking 0-7 in a good team display. A win in the final can make it 3 in a row for us, which would be a great achievement. Tonights win helps lift the gloom from Saturdays defeat in the senior simi.

Brilliant victory for Kilcoo, great credit must go to the club for all the work being put in.

Was Mooney playing for Rostrevor? Anyone at the games? Supersub?

Yes Mooney was playing but wasnt as influential as I thought he was going to be. We started well with the breeze and went into a 3 point lead at half time. Point midfield was fantastic with Jamie Grant and ciaran McCartan controlling this sector. Young Donnach McAleenan was a thorn in the reds defence all night and rostrevor seemed unable to cope with his pace and direct running. The second half the point always kept there noses in front and went 4 up with a goal 10 mins from the end from Aaron Magee. Rostrevor kept looking for goals which was their downfall and although we may have been cynical in stopping Mooney running at our defence in the last 5 minutes but these fouls were necessary as he is hard to stop in full flow.
Best for the Blues were the Miceal O'Hare, Emmett McCourt and stephen Monaghan in defence. Jamie Grant had a great 1st half in the middle and all night Ciaran Mccartan & Donnach McAleenan were the difference. From a Blues point of view lets hope we give kilcoo a run for their money this year.
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.

ardtole

Divisions 1,2 and 4 seem to be finishing up nicely, but division 3 is a right mess. Kilclief have 6 games left and they dont seem to have a fixture this weekend. The following week they have championship, if they win and I strongly fancy them to do so, they could be playing ulster championship in the following weeks. Ardglass have 5 games left and no game this week either, for the time being anyway. If we dont play this week I think we will only have played 1 game in the last 4 weeks. Its very unfair on the management teams in div 3 this year, its impossible to keep players interested and keep training going when everything is so stop start.

The first half of the season runs very smoothly, everyone knows when their next game is, but as soon as the July break comes it is chaos. There really is no excuse this year, when the master fixture list was issued at the start of the year there was no dates allocated for the last 5 or 6 fixtures in all of div 3. I hope lessons are learned for next year.

Lecale2

Kilclief are in Ulster hurling championship action on Sunday that's why there's no football match.

If the hurlers keep winning and the footballers win the IFC it will be January before Div 3 is decided.

EagleLord

Clubs with outstandinf ixtures should take it upon themselves to see them out I reckon. Just as Bridge and Ballyholland did at the weekend. A time that suits both teams, get a ref, and thats it. Id county board won't put a fixture on, do it yourselves. Not much organizing needed really.

redandblackareback

Quote from: ardtole on September 29, 2011, 11:34:17 AM
Divisions 1,2 and 4 seem to be finishing up nicely, but division 3 is a right mess. Kilclief have 6 games left and they dont seem to have a fixture this weekend. The following week they have championship, if they win and I strongly fancy them to do so, they could be playing ulster championship in the following weeks. Ardglass have 5 games left and no game this week either, for the time being anyway. If we dont play this week I think we will only have played 1 game in the last 4 weeks. Its very unfair on the management teams in div 3 this year, its impossible to keep players interested and keep training going when everything is so stop start.

The first half of the season runs very smoothly, everyone knows when their next game is, but as soon as the July break comes it is chaos. There really is no excuse this year, when the master fixture list was issued at the start of the year there was no dates allocated for the last 5 or 6 fixtures in all of div 3. I hope lessons are learned for next year.

whats the views on this? Do we really need a July break for 3 weeks? Maybe one free weekend but certainly no fixtures the whole of July is a bit extreme isnt it?

DownFanatic

Quote from: EagleLord on September 29, 2011, 02:43:27 PM
Clubs with outstandinf ixtures should take it upon themselves to see them out I reckon. Just as Bridge and Ballyholland did at the weekend. A time that suits both teams, get a ref, and thats it. Id county board won't put a fixture on, do it yourselves. Not much organizing needed really.

I totally agree. Division 3 has ended up a total mess this year. Divisions 1, 2 and 4 have seemed to run smooth enough though.

There are only three Division 3 fixtures on this weekend. At this rate it will be another 6 weeks at least before all games are completed then there are the Playoff games. Then you have to factor in the fact that Kilclief have 6 League games left which will have to be played given the fact that Tullylish are also jostling for top position. It looks nigh impossible that a clear run of 6 weeks will be allocated for these fixtures due to the involvement of Kilclief in the IFC Final plus possible Ulster runs in the football and hurling.

Ive a funny feeling that a lot of Div 3 teams will still be kicking about around December time.

wehatepauly2

[/sup]
Who was referee in the first minor game?

[/quote]
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 28, 2011, 10:44:34 PM
Down Minor Simi Finals

Warrenpoint 1-9 Rostrevor 0-10

Kilcoo 1-11 Burren 1-7

Kilcoo and the Point set up a repeat of the 2009 minor final in a windy Mayobridge tonight.
Marty Devlin was our star man kicking 0-7 in a good team display. A win in the final can make it 3 in a row for us, which would be a great achievement. Tonights win helps lift the gloom from Saturdays defeat in the senior simi.

True Blue

Quote from: wehatepauly2 on September 29, 2011, 09:20:38 PM
[/sup]

Young Ciaran Bannaigan from bryansford. he had a very good game. Up and coming Ref!!!!!
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.

ardtole

Its would be easy enough for 2 neighbouring clubs to arrange 1 outstanding fixture. Some teams in div 3 have half a dozen to play yet. Ardglass offered to play bosco about 2 months ago to get it out off the way but they wouldnt commit to a date. Asking clubs to arrange 25% of their league fixtures is a bit much do you not think. These games are not to be rearranged, they were never arranged in the first place.

Square Ball

Quote from: outinfront on September 29, 2011, 10:09:39 AM
Tricky enough game for Saul this weekend.  You would think that St Paul's will want to win their last home game of the season.  Bredagh and Drumaness will be hoping for a slip up.

Hope so oif, there is something in the back of my mind about st pauls not fielding at the back end of last year but could be wrong. Anyway it would make for a v tight finish if saul lost, three teams would be on the same points, what would happen? Games against eachother, points difference? I

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

thewobbler

While the stickfighters of this world may disagree, I struggle badly with the reasoning behind football fixtures being postponed because of hurling fixtures involving the same club.  If the hurling championship is that important to (Kilclief in this example), then they should simply field a weakened team in a football league match. If every game, at every level, in both codes is so important that nothing else can clash with it, then we have an impossible situation.

EagleLord

Quote from: ardtole on September 29, 2011, 11:20:28 PM
Its would be easy enough for 2 neighbouring clubs to arrange 1 outstanding fixture. Some teams in div 3 have half a dozen to play yet. Ardglass offered to play bosco about 2 months ago to get it out off the way but they wouldnt commit to a date. Asking clubs to arrange 25% of their league fixtures is a bit much do you not think. These games are not to be rearranged, they were never arranged in the first place.

No obviously thats just an ideal situaton and largely a one-off. But it just shows it is possible. Rather than waiting 4 weeks for a fixture, clubs could contact each other and if it is agreeable then why not. They would obviously have to run it by James McCartan too...

wehatepauly2

Quote from: True Blue on September 29, 2011, 11:08:39 PM
Quote from: wehatepauly2 on September 29, 2011, 09:20:38 PM
[/sup]

Young Ciaran Bannaigan from bryansford. he had a very good game. Up and coming Ref!!!!!

Good too see a young footballer doing a refs job, Mickey Kane would be another good man for the job since he hung the boots up