Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebar

Would just like to congratulate Kilcoo on a fantastic win last nite. I was at the match as a neutral and was expecting alot more from Bryansford but in the end they were well beaten.

The biggest thing that Kilcoo had over the ford was heart, guts and determination. They just couldnt match Kilcoo appetitie for the fight, the breaking ball, A Devlin was getting tore into everything, ok we can say someone got slapped or someone did that but both sides were far from inocent and at the end of the day Kilcoo won quite easily in the end. Some of the breaking out at speed by the Kilcoo team was fantastic, the Ford were simply to slow and lacked sharpness in comparison. On the ball they lacked direction and played across the field instead of going to were matters, the goals! Fair play the best footballing team won while Bryansford were simply outclassed.

pauly2

After watching all senior games at the weekend - i must say i was disappointed with the standard of what i saw.  I feel for james and his staff picking any new players from what was on view.  I expect Kilcoo to win the championship outright as they are probably the best team left in the pot.  they have become more synical in the last year and devlin at centre half forward in particular is nothing short of disgusting.  late challenges - hands up, dragging the studs on man lying on the ground - hands up - held the ball and turned his elbow into a mans face - hands up - and on all three occasions he wasn booked... just spoken to... so thats the new norm - when you commit a blatant foul - put ur hand in the air as much to say - jesus i didn mean it and you get off scott free...   Lavery, Johnston, Mcgreevy, chalk, aaron brannigan, niall brannigan, all fantastic players and pd is comin back to himself again a little... hope they take it back to east down again... we dont get too many...

DaisyCutter

Its was great to hear the news on Ambrose Rodgers performance for Longstone on Saturaday against the Kingdom. Practically won them the game in a vital match that neither team could afford to lose. Hopefully he can reproduce this early next season for our County as we sorely missed him in the middle of the park this year.

Just on the other Senior games, impressed with Burrens display, although I was extremely disappointed in Bridges tactics (playing brady so far from goal and not pulling benny out earlier in the second half).

Clounduff and Rostrevor did enough to progress to the semis. Kilcoo's performance against a strong Bryansford team could stand to them in the next round, where their workrate, heart and fight was unreal. Strong bench also to come in. Heres to two great semi finals.

Oglach

Quote from: pauly2 on September 12, 2011, 06:12:03 PM
After watching all senior games at the weekend - i must say i was disappointed with the standard of what i saw.  I feel for james and his staff picking any new players from what was on view.  I expect Kilcoo to win the championship outright as they are probably the best team left in the pot.  they have become more synical in the last year and devlin at centre half forward in particular is nothing short of disgusting.  late challenges - hands up, dragging the studs on man lying on the ground - hands up - held the ball and turned his elbow into a mans face - hands up - and on all three occasions he wasn booked... just spoken to... so thats the new norm - when you commit a blatant foul - put ur hand in the air as much to say - jesus i didn mean it and you get off scott free...   Lavery, Johnston, Mcgreevy, chalk, aaron brannigan, niall brannigan, all fantastic players and pd is comin back to himself again a little... get too manhope they take it back to east down again... we dont y...
Really? seriously? You guys would do well to have a CHF like the one you refer to. Perhaps its called playing on the edge or experience. As most here will know championships aren't handed to you or bought in eurospar, they're hard fought. There were unlawful exchanges taking place from both sides all over last night. It wasn't a dirty game by any means.
To the Ford posters, we understand its not nice to lose a local derby championship match but you really should learn to take your beating.

pauly2

Really? seriously? You guys would do well to have a CHF like the one you refer to. Perhaps its called playing on the edge or experience. As most here will know championships aren't handed to you or bought in eurospar, they're hard fought. There were unlawful exchanges taking place from both sides all over last night. It wasn't a dirty game by any means.
To the Ford posters, we understand its not nice to lose a local derby championship match but you really should learn to take your beating.
[/quote]

wouldn want one like him.. i know they are not handed out in a shop - but kilcoo won it with flair and style two years ago - they still have the mainstays of that team - do it again without the blatant dirt... They will take clonduff apart and that could be a bad thing in the final - but i think its kilcoos til lose...   

dundrumite

As a neutral at the game I can honestly say there weren't too many " holy f@@k did you see that" type moments. Kilcoo simply outclassed Bryansford, played better football on the night and seemed to have more heart in that particular game as well. Though felim mc grieve was immense, on that performance may warrant a trial anyway, though it is consistency which makes intercounty player so hope he replicates it in a semi final.

supersub

Devlin and Ireland should both have been off in the first half for blatant striking and right infront of linesman too!!

Kilcoo were very good and simply had too much for the ford! Any time ford got within distance kilcoo stretched the lead again! Have to say we were lucky in our game especially with the second goal, although no doubt it was behind the line. But 0-7 0-0 at after 25mins looked glum and we did well to limit the harps to one more point the whole game. Have to be in it to win it as they say!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: redandblackareback on September 12, 2011, 01:20:36 PM
MDG, which one of the Mc Evoys was wearing the white boots and no 29? He is a complete liability to your team and you would be safer off without a man like that playing because he could let you down and cost you in the semi final or final.

I do think Kilcoo got away with an awful lot off the ball last night, but the linesman closest to the stand in the first half was a joke, the ginger boy, he seen Brannigan slap Maginn twice round the head off the ball and got away with it. Plus Kilcoo 3rd man tackled the ford nearly everytime the ball was released.

It was a terrible spectacle, a major let down and I feel a fussy referee and strong sideline officials could be Kilcoo s downfall as they are an extremely cynical team. Unfortunately its all falling into Burrens hands again, cant see Rostrevor getting within 5 or 6 points to be fair.

Nial McEvoy. An excellent defender, who foolishly got sent off and will be a serious loss to us as he is a first class defender.
As for Kilcoo being cynical, bit of an exaggeration. Kilcoo are a hard working, tough tackling team, a look back at the simi final 12 months ago and it was the Ford who had the cynical players on board taking out a number of our lads.

redandblackareback

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 12, 2011, 09:51:46 PM
MDG, which one of the Mc Evoys was wearing the white boots and no 29? He is a complete liability to your team and you would be safer off without a man like that playing because he could let you down and cost you in the semi final or final.

I do think Kilcoo got away with an awful lot off the ball last night, but the linesman closest to the stand in the first half was a joke, the ginger boy, he seen Brannigan slap Maginn twice round the head off the ball and got away with it. Plus Kilcoo 3rd man tackled the ford nearly everytime the ball was released.

It was a terrible spectacle, a major let down and I feel a fussy referee and strong sideline officials could be Kilcoo s downfall as they are an extremely cynical team. Unfortunately its all falling into Burrens hands again, cant see Rostrevor getting within 5 or 6 points to be fair.

Nial McEvoy. An excellent defender, who foolishly got sent off and will be a serious loss to us as he is a first class defender.
As for Kilcoo being cynical, bit of an exaggeration. Kilcoo are a hard working, tough tackling team, a look back at the simi final 12 months ago and it was the Ford who had the cynical players on board taking out a number of our lads.
[/b][/b]

Your right, foolishly so therefore you are better off without him for a semi or final where his FOOLISH nature could cost you. Unfortunately this lad has a nasty track record if memory serves me right. Also have to agree with Pauly2 never seen a more cynical outfit in this county than Kilcoo, their manager being from Armagh obviously has it drilled into them, but dont think they ll get away with the 3rd man tackle and nasty stuff in the semi final or final, the word is out on them.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: pauly2 on September 12, 2011, 06:12:03 PM
After watching all senior games at the weekend - i must say i was disappointed with the standard of what i saw.  I feel for james and his staff picking any new players from what was on view.  I expect Kilcoo to win the championship outright as they are probably the best team left in the pot.  they have become more synical in the last year and devlin at centre half forward in particular is nothing short of disgusting.  late challenges - hands up, dragging the studs on man lying on the ground - hands up - held the ball and turned his elbow into a mans face - hands up - and on all three occasions he wasn booked... just spoken to... so thats the new norm - when you commit a blatant foul - put ur hand in the air as much to say - jesus i didn mean it and you get off scott free...   Lavery, Johnston, Mcgreevy, chalk, aaron brannigan, niall brannigan, all fantastic players and pd is comin back to himself again a little... hope they take it back to east down again... we dont get too many...

To come on here and say what you said about Anthony Devlin is nothin short of inaccurate and wrong. Disgusting? The man is as hard as nails and is one of the most physically imposing players about but in no way is he disgusting, cynical or dirty. Anthony is a player that gives his all and will empty the tank for the cause and even at the latter stages of a brilliant career has stil a lot to offer. The man is  one of the top players to ever wear the black and white since he made his debut for us back in 1996 as a 15 year old in division 3 where he went on to captain us to minor and under 21 championships, 2 Division 1 titles and play a major role in us securing the Frank OHare cup for the first time in 72 years, gaining the coveted player of the match award in the county final.
To say Castlewellan wouldnt have a player of his liking is laughable, he is a very well respected footballer throughout the county and is definatly not known as cynical or disgusting for that matter.

DownFanatic

Was an interesting weekend of games. Kilcoo were always going to beat Bryansford because they have a better squad and a tactically superior manager. They should account for Clonduff in the Semis and Id fancy Burren to have Rostrevor. Kilcoo/Burren Final would be a great spectacle.

We probably caused a mini shock in beating Atticall in the IFC and Ballymartin will be very happy at getting us in the Semis. Banbridge beat one of the favourites in Annaclone and they should now be installed as favourites. Id love to see Kilclief make the Final though. They have an ageing squad and the years are running out for them to get the silverware.

Bredagh should win the Junior handy enough. They beat Saul who were regarded as the favourites and the Belfast men are far better than anything that is left in the draw.

Senior Championship       
Date          Time    Venue Referee Line 1 Line 2 4th Official
Sat 24/9/11 7 00pm Kilcoo v Clonduff Newry G Corrigan E O Hare D Laverty D Kearns
Sun 25/9/11 7 00pm Burren v Rostrevor Newry C Reynolds R Barry
O Burke R Lyons

Intermediate Championship       
Sat    24/9/11 5.30 pm Clann na Banna v Kilclief Newry C Brannigan F Laverty C Mooney K Mc Mahon
Sun  25/9/11 5.30 pm Ballymartin v Dundrum Newry L Smith A Sharvin D Brogan D Cotter

Junior Championship       
Sat     24/9/11 2 00 pm Bright v Dromara Newcastle D Brogan K Trainor D Cotter J Mc Mullan
Sat    24/9/11 3.30 pm Bredagh v Teconnaught Newcastle R Barry D Kearns C Brannigan M Mc Anulty

Senior Hurling       
Sun   25/9/11 2.00 pm Ballycran v Portaferry TBC TBC   

NP 76

Agree 100 % with MDG on A Devlin a hard tough player who gives his all no matter what . I defently would not say he was cynical in any way i wish he was chf for my club . I hear people all the time saying that there has to be better players in Down that are not on the county panel i for one dont know where they are because there was none on show over the week end . Not to many standing out that you would say he deserves a chance

Oglach

[To come on here and say what you said about Anthony Devlin is nothin short of inaccurate and wrong. Disgusting? The man is as hard as nails and is one of the most physically imposing players about but in no way is he disgusting, cynical or dirty. Anthony is a player that gives his all and will empty the tank for the cause and even at the latter stages of a brilliant career has stil a lot to offer. The man is  one of the top players to ever wear the black and white since he made his debut for us back in 1996 as a 15 year old in division 3 where he went on to captain us to minor and under 21 championships, 2 Division 1 titles and play a major role in us securing the Frank OHare cup for the first time in 72 years, gaining the coveted player of the match award in the county final.
To say Castlewellan wouldnt have a player of his liking is laughable, he is a very well respected footballer throughout the county and is definatly not known as cynical or disgusting for that matter.
[/quote]couldn't have worded that any better myself  ;)

Oglach

Quote from: redandblackareback on September 12, 2011, 10:10:24 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 12, 2011, 09:51:46 PM

[/b][/b]

Your right, foolishly so therefore you are better off without him for a semi or final where his FOOLISH nature could cost you. Unfortunately this lad has a nasty track record if memory serves me right. Also have to agree with Pauly2 never seen a more cynical outfit in this county than Kilcoo, their manager being from Armagh obviously has it drilled into them, but dont think they ll get away with the 3rd man tackle and nasty stuff in the semi final or final, the word is out on them.
Oooh! Perhaps bowls would suit you better.

pauly2

To come on here and say what you said about Anthony Devlin is nothin short of inaccurate and wrong. Disgusting? The man is as hard as nails and is one of the most physically imposing players about but in no way is he disgusting, cynical or dirty. Anthony is a player that gives his all and will empty the tank for the cause and even at the latter stages of a brilliant career has stil a lot to offer. The man is  one of the top players to ever wear the black and white since he made his debut for us back in 1996 as a 15 year old in division 3 where he went on to captain us to minor and under 21 championships, 2 Division 1 titles and play a major role in us securing the Frank OHare cup for the first time in 72 years, gaining the coveted player of the match award in the county final.
[/quote]

You must be like the rest of the magpies - blinkered vision.. If you think this man aint dirty, cynical and disgusting as a player on the pitch - you are delusional.  I agree with a later post about the Kilcoo tactics - slowing down free kicks, not allowing the other team to move the ball quickly, getting the ball moved forward time and time again for standing in front of the ball or not releasing it.  But think back to the bridge in the early years when mc crory had them - same thing.  They frustrated the life outta teams by playing the game on their terms.  So its Jim who should take the plaudits on this one.  And no i wouldnt want him on our club team - we have enuf to worry about with out a dirty prat like him playin...