Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Maybe Mourne Rover or some of the older posters might be able to answer this question.

Why did Ambrose Rogers not play any part in the 1979 All Ireland U-21 Final? He was centre half forward on the All Ireland winning Minor team of 1977 so I presume he was still eligible in '79 for the U-21's. Was he maybe injured or something?

Mourne Rover

I have a recollection of a suspension for Ambrose around that period, but I will see if I can come up with any more information. Alternatively, some of the other `older posters' might jog our memories.

umpire

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 05, 2011, 04:43:26 PM
Maybe Mourne Rover or some of the older posters might be able to answer this question.

Why did Ambrose Rogers not play any part in the 1979 All Ireland U-21 Final? He was centre half forward on the All Ireland winning Minor team of 1977 so I presume he was still eligible in '79 for the U-21's. Was he maybe injured or something?

Ambrose was playing earlier in the year for U21 league games but left or not ask on the panel before the Ulster Championship.
Paul Devlin of Glenn was an outstanding defender all year but got suspended before All Ireland final and we all fear that Down may not win without him. Micheal Sands of Aghaderg replaced Paul.
Minor star of that year, Greg Blaney was selected for final game only, he has not played any previous games for U21. Greg went on to scored 4 points from play.  Martin McCann was unlucky player to be left out after playing all year on Down U21 but came on as a sub.

Mid Down Gael

Aidan ORourke now in Down management team.

redandblackareback

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 06, 2011, 10:53:00 AM

Great appointment, James will be happy he now has his own appointment he can trust along the line and not a forced arrangement as was previous.

dundrumite

Banana Man

any update on what marty clarke's plans are?

DownFanatic

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 06, 2011, 10:53:00 AM

Don't underestimate the significance of this appointment. O'Rourke is the real deal. This is a massive coup for Down.

NP 76

Have to agree Aidan O Rourke a great addition to our set up . A good defensive coach which we badly need . Him and James have a good understanding of each other from their earlier time together . Lets hope its a successful reunion

NP 76

Would like to wish Damien Rafferty a speedy recovery from a broken collar bone

Leo

Quote from: NP 76 on September 06, 2011, 07:19:52 PM
Would like to wish Damien Rafferty a speedy recovery from a broken collar bone

Damien was a deserving winner of the Breen Morgan Award last year. Wish him well.

I see that this year's nominees include Connor Laverty who to me surely display's the courage and dash of the great Annaclone man. Hope he wins it.
Fierce tame altogether

NP 76

Laverty deserves it worked hard to get a place then harder to keep it

thecager

Folks,
we have now added All Star Down Camogie player Catherine McGourty to the line up of the Red High Night with the Stars.  The night will include Danny Hughes, James McCartan, Peter McGrath, Noell Sands, Trevor Ringland, and hosted by the BBC's Mark Sidebottom.
Entry is just £5 payable at the door at which is sure to be a great nights craic and entertainment.

downjim

Even though declan rooney will be a big miss i still believe we will be too strong for the bridge. The bridge is ageing while we are the upcoming club in the county. More so than the magpies. Our forward will be too quick for Barry and co. While Anton will run big woods all over newry. The bridge have good forwards but they tend to look for benny all the time where will have him sorted from the word go.us by four then sweet pints in burren club.

knockitdown

Quote from: downjim on September 07, 2011, 01:40:24 PM
Even though declan rooney will be a big miss i still believe we will be too strong for the bridge. The bridge is ageing while we are the upcoming club in the county. More so than the magpies. Our forward will be too quick for Barry and co. While Anton will run big woods all over newry. The bridge have good forwards but they tend to look for benny all the time where will have him sorted from the word go.us by four then sweet pints in burren club.

you talk some shite jim