Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

Eagle i hope you are joking   about Poucher . The way he behaved this year with the u 21 team this year was nothing but a disgrace . I for one would be ashamed to see him along the line . Causes trouble all the time

EagleLord

Well I did say i think he is a clown myself. Just thought he may have a case, sure the Kingdom obviously like having him around? He must have a great relationship with players, or be a good coach? ???

redandblackareback

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 22, 2011, 11:26:28 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on August 22, 2011, 10:50:49 AM
A lot of people including myself would have felt Saval and Ballyholland would have been battling it out in the relegation spots so an enormous amount of credit must go to these sides, with 10 teams in division 1 there are no easy games and is probably one of the most competitive leagues in the province.

On the issue of James new trainer/selector/coach, surely the likes of Frank Dawson or Shane Mulholland would add experience and a knowledge of preparing teams plus both have proven to be tactically efficient in the way their club sides are set up? Not sure about Declan Mussen, great trainer but he s old school, players dont want to spend 3 or 4 days a week running around Tullymore forest anymore.
Hands off....he can have Dawson if he wants...

Ha ha 5 Sams very good.  :D

On the Poucher issue, good coach from all reports but your right a bit of a liability on the sidelines, anything could happen, but sure you could plant him in the stands on match day with a straight jacket on, that would solve the problem   :D

thewobbler

Player perception has an awful lot do with management and coaching, and regardless of his abilities as a coach, I don't see (particularly the older players) having enough respect for Poacher for him to be a success. In order to get a team of adult men to run 20 back-to-back 100 metre sprints, they need to believe in you and your methods.

Maybe in a decade or so, but not now.

When We Win, when Divisions 1 and 2 are settled as 10 team leagues, it'll be 3 team play-offs at the top and bottom. Over the past few years in Division II football, when it was 4 out of 12, any of the better teams smart enough to focus on home and away wins against the weaker 6 teams, were more or less guaranteed a promotion play-off with a couple of other wins. That's not going to be the case anymore. There'll only be one or two weak teams, at most, in the league. 

here comes 6

A coach is for coaching on the training field and come match day should be well out of the way as if he has belief in his own ability the coaching he has done should be working on the field.  If the coach is in the stand then he can sit and observe what needs to be done at the next training(s).  The coach should not be roaring instructions onto the field during play as thats the managers job.  If Declan Mussen or Poacher are the right men for the job then give it to hem no matter what a player likes or doesnt like doing.  Maybe wee James has his mate Aidan O'Rourke lined up for the job??

NP 76

Couldnt see Aiden o Rourke coming to Down all the same might be wrong

downjim

Sean O'Hare should be given a chance!!

T O Hare

He is too busy with the council:) Though him and pat garvey were great under twelve managers for us many moons ago :)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

here comes 6

Quote from: T O Hare on August 22, 2011, 11:43:46 PM
He is too busy with the council:) Though him and pat garvey were great under twelve managers for us many moons ago :)
Stop the bullshit

NP 76

Is Sean O Hare not still with Armagh or not

pauly2

Quote from: NP 76 on August 23, 2011, 09:05:09 AM
Is Sean O Hare not still with Armagh or not

Is he what we are looking for at the minute though?? I think he could be like poacher and is bit crazy on the line - give him a few years before getting this post.....

T O Hare

Quote from: here comes 6 on August 23, 2011, 08:29:33 AM
Quote from: T O Hare on August 22, 2011, 11:43:46 PM
Stop the bullshit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

NedFlanders

In all seriousness, Stephen Poacher is the best trainer in the county, so therefore is an obvious choice to be in the background team. His training drill are always high intensity, has a great passion for the game ( maybe too much at times  ;)) but sure give the man his place on merit. Always coming up with new drills, all base on the game and getting the best out of the players, has a great respect for everyone the plays under him, and thats what matters!

EagleLord

Was looking to hear what you would think Ned, as a kingdom man. Thats why I said what I did. He is apparently a good coach and his enthusiasm is there for all to see. The thing is if he was brought into a Down setup, then he will have to stay within his coaching capacity, rather than being so mental along the line! :D

whitegoodman

Apart from being abrasive, controversal and a general loud mouth along the line what exactly has Poucher done to deserve to be considered as part of the down management setup?

Any half decent manager would have taken the current group of kingdom players out of division 2.  Dont think he has had a championship run in the time he has been there and the less said about his time with the under 21's the better.