Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly2

Quote from: umpire on August 21, 2011, 12:32:55 PM
Central Council has avoided the temptation to meddle with the format of the Allianz FL and left the current four divisions of eight teams in place.

A proposal was in place to change the current setup of the top two divisions, replacing Divisions 1 and 2 with two groups randomly made up of the top 16 teams.

This drew much criticism, especially from managers who felt there was a distinct difference in standard between the top two tiers.

It was decided yesterday to keep the current format with semi-finals now introduced in Division 1 only.

Thank god this has happened... It would be tough on Donegal and Laois if they were stuck in division 1b playing most teams from last year - when they gained promotion away from them...

Few league game stoday - think i will go to the Burren v Rostrevor game as it has a good billing.  Last time out Rostrevor won both the game and the fight - should be interesting tussle...

5 Sams

Harps did their best to throw away a halftime lead again V Clonduff. Scraped through by a point. Other results went our way with Rostrevor & Longstone both getting beaten.
The Aristocrat Years

umpire

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 21, 2011, 04:16:35 PM
Harps did their best to throw away a halftime lead again V Clonduff. Scraped through by a point. Other results went our way with Rostrevor & Longstone both getting beaten.

Clonduff 0.12  Ballyhollland 1.10
Mayobridge 2.13 Longstone 0.13
Burren 2.12 Rostrevor 0.14  not sure of correct score there.

If Ballyholland and Rostrevor get another 2 points to 15 in League they should be safe for another year while An Riocht, Longstone and Clonduff will be involve in play off.

Ballyholland and Saval has done well this year.

When We Win

Getting to the business end of the leagues now and just looking at the tables especially division 2, there is a clear old division one/division two split forming. Personally i would have expected there to be more of a mix in positions. Does the new league system finally clarify there is a distinct gap between div 1 and 2 standard?

On the other hand, looking at some of the intermediate championship results, i dont think the gap between half div 2 and div 3 being all that excessive. Which brings me to my next point. How will play offs go this year. Will it be top 3 with 2 going up or top 4 with 2 going up. Vice-versa with relegation???

spiritof91and94

James McCartan to get a new backroom team next season reported in todays Irish News - both Tally and McIvor are to be replaced.

Any recommendations?

NP 76

I always thought Declan Mussen a top trainer . His college teams were always in tip top condition . He was there with Ross and DJ so would know all involved and everything about the players . I was concerned with the amount of injuries this year was it down to training ? Too many hamstring injuries at one time imo . I think you could have to much input into a team . With 4 men giving there opinion someone still needs to take charge . The buck stops with James too many cooks and all that

redandblackareback

A lot of people including myself would have felt Saval and Ballyholland would have been battling it out in the relegation spots so an enormous amount of credit must go to these sides, with 10 teams in division 1 there are no easy games and is probably one of the most competitive leagues in the province.

On the issue of James new trainer/selector/coach, surely the likes of Frank Dawson or Shane Mulholland would add experience and a knowledge of preparing teams plus both have proven to be tactically efficient in the way their club sides are set up? Not sure about Declan Mussen, great trainer but he s old school, players dont want to spend 3 or 4 days a week running around Tullymore forest anymore.

5 Sams

Quote from: redandblackareback on August 22, 2011, 10:50:49 AM
A lot of people including myself would have felt Saval and Ballyholland would have been battling it out in the relegation spots so an enormous amount of credit must go to these sides, with 10 teams in division 1 there are no easy games and is probably one of the most competitive leagues in the province.

On the issue of James new trainer/selector/coach, surely the likes of Frank Dawson or Shane Mulholland would add experience and a knowledge of preparing teams plus both have proven to be tactically efficient in the way their club sides are set up? Not sure about Declan Mussen, great trainer but he s old school, players dont want to spend 3 or 4 days a week running around Tullymore forest anymore.
Hands off....he can have Dawson if he wants...
The Aristocrat Years

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 22, 2011, 11:26:28 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on August 22, 2011, 10:50:49 AM

Hands off....he can have Dawson if he wants...

Maybe he is crossing the Clanrye to become POR's supercoach ;D

thewobbler

When We Win, there have been clear gaps in Down football's hierarchy since as long as I can remember; this year tells us nothing new.

There's always 5-6 teams who don't have to do much apart from turn up to ensure Division I football, there's another 5-6 who can give the big guns a game and are fit for Division I but don't have enough class to win a SFC, then there's 5-6 who are a good step ahead of the rest of the teams in the county, but need their first 15 all fit and flying to stand half a chance against the big guns. They've been the yoyo teams since the early 1990s.

What the new league structures mean though is that there are now 5-6 of that third group of teams playing in Division II each year, so there is very little chance of a "poor team" having the season of their lives, and making Division 1 football again. Getting into Division I is going to be almost as tough as staying there for the foreseeable future.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on August 22, 2011, 10:15:08 AM
James McCartan to get a new backroom team next season reported in todays Irish News - both Tally and McIvor are to be replaced.

Any recommendations?

It appeared that Tally was getting too much of a say in things, but i would have kept McIvor on board.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

When We Win

Quote from: thewobbler on August 22, 2011, 11:53:12 AM
When We Win, there have been clear gaps in Down football's hierarchy since as long as I can remember; this year tells us nothing new.

There's always 5-6 teams who don't have to do much apart from turn up to ensure Division I football, there's another 5-6 who can give the big guns a game and are fit for Division I but don't have enough class to win a SFC, then there's 5-6 who are a good step ahead of the rest of the teams in the county, but need their first 15 all fit and flying to stand half a chance against the big guns. They've been the yoyo teams since the early 1990s.

What the new league structures mean though is that there are now 5-6 of that third group of teams playing in Division II each year, so there is very little chance of a "poor team" having the season of their lives, and making Division 1 football again. Getting into Division I is going to be almost as tough as staying there for the foreseeable future.

So how will the playoff positions work Wobbler. Is it top four playing off with two up two down? A few teams may get used to playing each other regularly in the lower ranks for a few years to come.

whitegoodman

If Ballyholland and Saval both stay up which is looking likely at this stage it must be the first time in a long time that both the promoted sides have stayed up. 

Clonduffs slide along with Castlewellan last year must show there is a slight changing of the guard in terms of mid rank division 1 teams.  It would be hard to imagine even 5 years ago these 2 sides being a division lower than the harps and Saval.  And that is with no disrespect to either Ballyholland or saval, more how far they have come on and how far back both Castlewellan and Clonduff have gone.

On the county management I am not too dispondent at Tally leaving.  Would have liked to see McIvor staying but so be it.  A new selector would be alot easier than finding a new coach and this may have to come from outside the county.  Please let it not be Poucher, they couldnt be that daft..............................could they????

EagleLord

What is the general opinion on Poucher? Personally I would say he is a bit of a clown, just going by the things he comes out with along the line and being so animated. But there might be something to say for him, hes enthusiastic about the game and training etc, who am I to say thats a bad thing? :-\

Down Follower

The Yo Yo teams in Down. Is the Yo Yo changing however.

In all honesty, over the last 10/15 years, the Yo Yo teams were Ballyholland, Saval, Loughinisland and Warrenpoint. In a 2 up/2 down situation they are probably the 4 teams who have been promoted/relegated the most.

Ballyholland and Saval have improved without doubt to the standard of Division 1 teams, while Warrenpoint appear to have declined to the standard of Division 2.

That leaves Loughinisland of the old Yo Yo teams who are probably still in that zone.  Who will replace the other 3?

Castlewellan no doubt see themselves as a Division 1 team, but will they cut the mustard next year when they get there. Liatrom were Division 1 for many years so perhaps they will come into the equation.