Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

The points which have been made about ball skills are reasonable, but talented Down sides have almost invariably lost to Tyrone at all levels for almost a full decade. The only exceptions were the minors of 2005, an outstanding squad who still needed a goal in the fifth minute of injury time, and last night's u21s, who looked a fitter side than their opponents when it mattered. No one wants to see the natural ability coached out of our players, but they also have to be able to win a battle against the likes of Tyrone. It's the old story about skill against will. The great Down teams had both, but at some stage skill usually loses out to will.

McGrath apparently dropped some of the 2005 minors at a fairly late stage in the run-up to this year's u21 first round against Antrim. McConville was probably the biggest surprise, and perhaps he might yet be back, but it looks as though any changes will be firmly on McGrath's terms. Fitzpatrick, who may eventually become a senior inter-county midfielder, did his cruciate, as far as I know, and will be out for a while. 

Leo

Managing an U21 team is the most thankless task in football. Most of the time you are trying to get training sessions without senior and Sigerson players so there is clearly great disruption. I have doubts about the value of this competition but fair play to Pete and his selctors for their progress so far and they have shown by their selections that they are making their own judgments on players.
Fierce tame altogether

amallon

The Down U21s got no warm up on Wed night.  They arrived in Casement in good time but weren't allowed onto the field, the were only allowed on at 20 to eight and were mostly confined to behind the goals.  Seems crazy that they weren't allowed onto the pitch by some over zealous officials.  Tyrone on the other hand did their warm up at some club ground near by.  This goes a long way to explaining Downs poor start.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

TORGAEL

I watched the two teams do their warm up when eventually allowed onto the pitch the other night. Tyrone did their warm up at full pelt, as if the game had already started, whilst Down were warming up like it was a laid back training session. Totally agree with amallon in that i think this contributed to Tyrones far better start to the match, but at the end of the game Down finished stronger, with Tyrone seemingly running out of steam. I spoke to a steward before the game to ask him why the lights were put on so late [and as such the teams couldnt get on the field] and he said it was purely down to cost !

spiritof91and94

Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2008, 09:24:45 PM
The under-21 picture is a bit cloudy as John Caldwell, Packie Downey and Kevin McKernan spent more or less the year out injured in 2005.

Conor Maginn had broken leg in 05 and would have made the panel otherwise. - both Timmy Hanna & Conor are available next year at U21 level.

charlie stubbs

you have to wonder if mcconville opted out why he did?if he wants to play games why pick sigerson over under 21s, because be honest he has no chance of getting neat the pooy team

bridgegael

down match is off due to waterlogged pitch
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

charlie stubbs

that 4 def bridgegael was looking my mate 2 go on the beer but he ws going go after game

Square Ball

Our under 14s going to it after a friendly match, is this 100%
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

bridgegael

got a phone call there to say it was off,  same person phoned back there and said it might not be off!!  this is coming from a shamrocks man

Square Ball

the Tyrone game is off so there may be a few

redandblackjack

Down V Limerick is OFF. Was talk of a switch but AFAIK it never materialised.

bridgegael

would they play it somewhere else tomorrow like they are doing the tyrone match??

Square Ball

Mourne Rover

Anyone know what shape the Newcastle pitch is in ? If Limerick are staying over, there will be a lot of pressure to get the game on. Ballykinler is usually playable all year round, but it could probably not cope with the crowd.