Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Belfast city hall was lit up in Bredagh colours last night as we celebrate our 50th tonight, a year late mind you. Some journey for us.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ardtole

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 25, 2022, 02:04:49 PM
Mainly dominated by Burren and the south Down elite. Disappointed Bredagh have no reps on the squad as they would have played at div 1 minor

Considering Laverty had lads from Saul, Finn and St Johns starting on his team last year, I think its fair to say that he picks who he considers best in their position, regardless what club they are from.

Lotto

Coming from Laverty's own club gave lads a serious advantage last year and the same this year from what I see. I hope this years lads don't let the show down like they did last year at the end.

Down Minors beat 3.13 - 1.07 and not a mention on our social media outlets. Would there be any chance that we could find out when our teams are playing games so we could go and watch them?

Smurfy123

So if true 22 out of 24 came through minors?

From what I remember that came through the underage system
McElroy
Fegan
Quinn
Mooney
Gilmore
Murdock
Kerr
O Higgins
O Rowe
Poland
Guiness
Mcevoy

So if all came through our system what are we actually doing wrong?

Lotto

I didn't think many Burren players were involved with Down development squads from U.13 - U.16  as they believed their structures were much better than Down's were. This obviously changed at Minor level then.

Smurfy123

Murdock McCarthy and Magill were all involved at under 16 level
Not sure about the rest
But I know these 3 were

Oglach

Quote from: Lotto on March 26, 2022, 07:21:12 PM
Coming from Laverty's own club gave lads a serious advantage last year and the same this year from what I see. I hope this years lads don't let the show down like they did last year at the end.

Down Minors beat 3.13 - 1.07 and not a mention on our social media outlets. Would there be any chance that we could find out when our teams are playing games so we could go and watch them?
😂😂😂😂😂

Johnnysboys

Quote from: wobbller on March 26, 2022, 12:50:57 AM
But how many will play Senior??

Let's say 50% do - that's some going and other counties ain't getting any more no matter what success they've had at underage..

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 26, 2022, 07:22:44 PM
So if true 22 out of 24 came through minors?

From what I remember that came through the underage system
McElroy
Fegan
Quinn
Mooney
Gilmore
Murdock
Kerr
O Higgins
O Rowe
Poland
Guiness
Mcevoy

So if all came through our system what are we actually doing wrong?

Expecting too much from our players perhaps... 9 of the players mentioned above are from 18-23.. still learning their trade at intercounty senior level I'd say

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Lotto on March 26, 2022, 07:50:23 PM
I didn't think many Burren players were involved with Down development squads from U.13 - U.16  as they believed their structures were much better than Down's were. This obviously changed at Minor level then.

I don't think that is what they believed to be honest. They were in 2 feile finals winning one and getting beat in other. Played in two leagues and won them and won championships so lads had plenty of football. They were trying to protect their players from overuse I'd say.
They def did play at u16 level though - lord knows Mark Doran talks about it enough on the podcast. I think he thinks he created them!!

redandblackareback

The number 4 Friday night would never make any other county team, you are right, Laverty will put the development of Kilcoo players first. His loyalty for Kilcoo cost him last year, letting the county down v Roscommon. The boy in question who is suspended has plenty of history eye gouging, and no doubt will be straight back in v Tyrone next week.

The senior set up goes from bad to worse, Kane back in goals after going on a stag last weekend, players laughing at management, our standards must have disappeared altogether.

Oglach

Quote from: redandblackareback on March 27, 2022, 09:48:36 AM

The number 4 Friday night would never make any other county team, you are right, Laverty will put the development of Kilcoo players first. His loyalty for Kilcoo cost him last year, letting the county down v Roscommon. The boy in question who is suspended has plenty of history eye gouging, and no doubt will be straight back in v Tyrone next week.

The senior set up goes from bad to worse, Kane back in goals after going on a stag last weekend, players laughing at management, our standards must have disappeared altogether.
Laughable, this team at U-17 were beaten by Fermanagh with 9 -11 starters from Burren and a Burren Manager! Laverty and Clarke have righted some wrongs.
Taking nothing away from the particular Burren team as they were very good but to say to all other clubs in the county that your service's isn't required because Burren are here was ridiculous.
Back to reality, they'll do very well to beat Tyrone. We're quite as strong as last year.

Oglach

Quote from: Oglach on March 27, 2022, 11:25:30 AM
Quote from: redandblackareback on March 27, 2022, 09:48:36 AM

Laughable, this team at U-17 were beaten by Fermanagh with 9 -11 starters from Burren and a Burren Manager! Laverty and Clarke have righted some wrongs.
Taking nothing away from the particular Burren team as they were very good but to say to all other clubs in the county that your service's isn't required because Burren are here was ridiculous.
Back to reality, they'll do very well to beat Tyrone. We're quite as strong as last year.
#not

johnnycool

Quote from: Square Ball on March 26, 2022, 11:45:45 AM
Belfast city hall was lit up in Bredagh colours last night as we celebrate our 50th tonight, a year late mind you. Some journey for us.

Congratulations to all involved.

Johnnysboys

Tg4 will spend a serious amount of time going around division 2 next year. Pity we weren't still in it..