Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FM

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 25, 2022, 08:09:46 AM
Danny's annual rant has come early this year. He needs to look closer to home before he starts saying about how the Down county board run things. He blamed everyone but the players

Did he once mention the stuff that have happened during this campaign, starting players all nipping away for a few days holidays
Tenerife
Liverpool
Cheltenham
Italy
Skiing
Edinburgh
Sam fender concert
St Patrick's day drinkers
Baby Shower

Players and supporters need to stop blaming management structures and Sean Og for the teams failings and start asking as to why o why players would book stuff during a league campaign
And don't come with the crap they are only amateurs. I would bet a million pound no other team has this carryon happening

It's the small margins that count

Down were in positions to win games against
Cork
Offaly
Meath

And won none
That's not down to structures
If we win another one of those and beat Clare we are talking about a great job the Managemt have done
What the management and County board need to do is rout out the bluffers about Down panels and start with lads who want to play. If that means going to 4 so be it. Gallagher has done it with Derry.

You missed out one

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 25, 2022, 08:09:46 AM
Did he once mention the stuff that have happened during this campaign, starting players all nipping away for a few days holidays
<SNIP>

Players and supporters need to stop blaming management structures and Sean Og for the teams failings and start asking as to why o why players would book stuff during a league campaign

Would you rather they book away during the summer?

You can't complain on one hand about footballers in the county not being willing to play for the county, then on the other hand demand complete servitude.

The players have wives, girlfriends, whatever, its not just the players your asking to make massive buy-in and sacrifices.

Fact is, quality is the problem, not quantity. Quality of players, quality of training, quality of gamplans. Running up a hill one more night a week isn't going to fix an inability to kick a ball accurately over 50 yards, or take that solo under pressure.

Any coach that has players running around cones, pitches, mountains or sand dunes should be hunted out the door*. You can run with a football just as well as you can run without a football, and your also working your mind when your body is fatigued too.

*unless they are running them ragged for poor application in prior drills!!
i usse an speelchekor

Truth hurts

I have read Danny's column and it's the same drivel tbh that we have heard the past few years. Danny and Mark Doran need to run for the county board.

Smurf talks some crap at times but he has his finger on the pulse with regards to what is happening with the players and fair play to him for telling what has happened. Cheltenham before a massive league decider coupled with the Holyland drinkers is just a long list of what is going on in the  Down changing room. The Down changing room is like Man Utd at the minute. We have too many Pogba and Jesses instead of Roy Keanes. James needs to pull these boys out before next season starts.

Too many steps

Quote from: snoopdog on March 22, 2022, 10:06:02 PM
All this talk of underage. Any idea of a starting 15 for Friday night v Fermanagh. Would there be tmany of the minor teams of 2 years ago when fermanagh dumped a very fancied Down out on their arses under a very underwhelming mccartan and poacher management team.

Starting team out for u20s this evening on Ulster gaa website.

Only 2 from last year's final starting.

About 5 of that minor team from 2 years ago you mentioned - although this is not their year as such (those lads would be u19 this year).

Will be a tough enough match I think - don't know much about Fermanagh but a few of that St Michael's team that won the Hogan in 2019 are bound to be playing.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Too many steps on March 25, 2022, 11:44:43 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 22, 2022, 10:06:02 PM
All this talk of underage. Any idea of a starting 15 for Friday night v Fermanagh. Would there be tmany of the minor teams of 2 years ago when fermanagh dumped a very fancied Down out on their arses under a very underwhelming mccartan and poacher management team.

Starting team out for u20s this evening on Ulster gaa website.

Only 2 from last year's final starting.

About 5 of that minor team from 2 years ago you mentioned - although this is not their year as such (those lads would be u19 this year).

Will be a tough enough match I think - don't know much about Fermanagh but a few of that St Michael's team that won the Hogan in 2019 are bound to be playing.

I know a few that Hogan Cup team are over in Liverpool for Uni, good section of them played for John Moores in their All-Ireland win... Laverty would know them well too having coached with Corrigan in St Michaels for a while. Hopefully get the win and into the next round

Truth hurts

Mainly dominated by Burren and the south Down elite. Disappointed Bredagh have no reps on the squad as they would have played at div 1 minor

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 25, 2022, 02:04:49 PM
Mainly dominated by Burren and the south Down elite. Disappointed Bredagh have no reps on the squad as they would have played at div 1 minor

So team selection should be based on players club or region now?

You want a player from every club in the squad?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on March 25, 2022, 02:42:24 PM

And wheere did I say that in my post?

What I am getting at is that we still have the same couple of clubs dominating squads and team. Maybe that's down to better coaching in the clubs or bigger numbers but the majority seem centered in Iveagh. There never seems to be a big selection from Lecale and we as a county need to understand why.
Better coaching in these area wuld increase better playerss.

Too many steps

Bredagh weren't in Div1 minor in 2019 which would be this age group - plus they have a few players in the squad I think. They obviously didn't make the team.

As for the south down bit it's a 6/9 split from the team sheet- if Sean Og McC was available it would probably be 7/8 - can't get any more even than that in an odd numbered team.

Lloyd p

Is under 20 game being streamed anywhere?

charlieTully

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 25, 2022, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on March 25, 2022, 02:42:24 PM

And wheere did I say that in my post?

What I am getting at is that we still have the same couple of clubs dominating squads and team. Maybe that's down to better coaching in the clubs or bigger numbers but the majority seem centered in Iveagh. There never seems to be a big selection from Lecale and we as a county need to understand why.
Better coaching in these area wuld increase better playerss.

Friday pints after school mucker?

wobbller

Replace Kevin McKernan with Oisin Savage.

Johnnysboys

One thing I definitely learned tonight is that out of the 24 players on the panel - 22 I can count all played at minor level. We are doing something right at underage (identifying talent) and now just need to give lads time to develop into senior players.

wobbller

But how many will play Senior??