John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

blast05

To be honest, every member of the executive that tolerated the recent fiasco and was happy to accept a status quo, rather than either publicly challenge their colleagues or resign on principle, has lost my respect. They did not act with the integrity i would expect for people in that position and therfore to answer your question, i would label them all as ego-driven hobbyists.

I find it interesting that that is the 1 line you commented on. Why would that be ?

rosnarun

becuse every one is taking anoymous potshot at unnamed people and more are talking about transperancy
it juat doesnt add up .
your suggesting that these guys who devote huge hours to the GAA at all levels for many years are merely there to get their picture taken at dinner dances , but if there is one or more of them  that has not done the hard yards then you should in the interests of transperancy  tell us who you are talking about.
It Doesnt mean they are aright i have no problem saying Paddy McNicholas McNIcholas, Secretary VIncent Neary and Treasurer JP Lambe did not do the right thing in this affair and i would like to see them resign
but i would make no comment about their motivation nor dedication to mayo football. do you?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

macdanger2

Quote from: blast05 on September 29, 2014, 01:52:40 PM
That 'revolt' detailed on Mayo blog is doomed to failure i fear.
Not because there are not men of committment and integrity involved but more cos they have no power. Like it or not, the county board have the power and its not like Corke Park are going to come in over the top and tell them to stand aside to make way for the revolution.

To effect the change required you need to get inside the tent and make the incumbents feel uncomfortable to the point of where they will do what you want.
To achieve this is actually straight forward enough in one sense. What is need is that every clubs takes the appointment of 'club delegates' to the county board very seriously. Only people who can tick the 3 boxes below should be appointed:

• can articualte their views clearly and forcefully
  • are constructive, progressive abnd modern thinking in all things GAA
  • actively seek the views of as many of their club members as possible on the agenda of county board meetings (indeed the last meeting should have resulted in club meetings all over the county where all members were encouraged to attend to ensure the clubs position was aligned and the delegate understood this and was committed to representing that position)
  • are not 'yes' men who only attend because (while well intentioned) they treat it as a hobby and like to be the 'man-in-the-know' at home

Imagine how the meeting the last day would have panned out if all delegates ticked these boxes ?!
Far too many people talk about 'county board out,' 'sack the lot of them' without any credible alternative. The reality is it will require the greater Mayo GAA public to avail of the democracy that exists in the structures today as i have outlined which will ultimately bring the county board kicking and screaming into the 'new age' and implement the strategy written by Liam Horan and others 3 years ago. In such a changed dynamic, the ego-driven hobbyist who occupy a lot of the positions today will not want their positions in future meaning we get the people that can deliver.

3 things?? Should they also be able to count blast??   ;D ;D

moysider

I think Michael Gallagher's piece today would strike a chord with a lot of Mayo fans.

sans pessimism

Any new developments from the CB meeting last night
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

AZOffaly

joemamas

Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2014, 10:53:59 PM

I think Michael Gallagher's piece today would strike a chord with a lot of Mayo fans.

Can you please attach link.

Thanks

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on September 30, 2014, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2014, 10:53:59 PM

Can you please attach link.

Thanks

Don t think it s online.

blast05

Quote from: rosnarun on September 29, 2014, 04:20:30 PM
becuse every one is taking anoymous potshot at unnamed people and more are talking about transperancy
it juat doesnt add up .
your suggesting that these guys who devote huge hours to the GAA at all levels for many years are merely there to get their picture taken at dinner dances , but if there is one or more of them  that has not done the hard yards then you should in the interests of transperancy  tell us who you are talking about.
It Doesnt mean they are aright i have no problem saying Paddy McNicholas McNIcholas, Secretary VIncent Neary and Treasurer JP Lambe did not do the right thing in this affair and i would like to see them resign
but i would make no comment about their motivation nor dedication to mayo football. do you?

As per my last post, i'm talking about them all - bar those who resigned.
My statement was formed purely on the the lack of moral fibre displayed in that now infamous county board meeting. I highlighted 'displayed' cos the few i know off (and i'm sure the majority) would not in normal circumstances be accused of this. So, the fact that they failed to display this by challenging the cozy-consensus that developed in the meeting, leads me to conclude that their positions and what they get from it are more important to them than doing the right thing for Mayo football.... hence ego-driven hobbyists.

Croí na hÉireann

McHale could be back in inter county coaching next year after all, he's on Peter Leahy's back room team if he gets the nod tonight in Westmeath.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 08, 2014, 05:54:43 PM
McHale could be back in inter county coaching next year after all, he's on Peter Leahy's back room team if he gets the nod tonight in Westmeath.

But that didn't get the go ahead either I see!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

mayo.mick

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 08, 2014, 11:01:56 PM

The curse of the "package"??  ;D
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 08, 2014, 11:01:56 PM

Clubs voted it down as I think they want the recognised name of Banty. There was 6 shortlisted for the job but the CB didn't work down the list after proposing Leahy, probably for the reason that they can't afford Banty's entourage. A shame as I thought Leahy and McHale would have worked well, could still happen as nothing surprises me anymore in our little republic.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 09, 2014, 09:12:52 AM

Clubs voted it down as I think they want the recognised name of Banty.
Be careful what ye wish for  :o

TomTomTommy is near at hand....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM