Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Jinxy

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2014, 11:29:50 PM
Quote from: maigheo on September 24, 2014, 10:58:03 PM
I do remember McHale ripping into James Horan after the 2012 all ireland and thinking at the time that McHale was a bo--ix and was way out of line,but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was .Pretty sure it was in the Western.McHale was one of my favorite players and I remember meeting an old timer at the final training session before the 96 all ireland and him telling me that McHale should not be on the team as he was only a basketballer.Of course Mchale was man of the match the following Sunday :) :).

The old timer mentality still prevails.

But sure he was right. We didn t win. And he was def. right the next day when Lord Liam was sent him off for no reason. Pateen and Noel didn't get sent off. No reason to. Mind you there was no reason to send off any Mayo player that day.

McHale threw a basketball at John McDermotts head.
He had to go.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Nihilist

Didn't he say in the Western this year after the Roscommon match that the team looked tired and similar to the team of '98?

Problem with that is 2 things.

1: You can't/shouldn't really compare 2 teams when one is still in the championship and the other was knocked out and of a different era.
2: It sorta was a public kick to the players even after they won.

Maybe players thought he should keep those opinions outta the news until after they knocked out of the competition.

Nihilist

Have you the link for Connelly's comments? Can't find on Hogan stand

Ok -found it

macdanger2

CB meeting tonight, any idea what's on the agenda??

This thread could easily hit 100 pages!!

Lar Naparka

I do remember McHale ripping into James Horan after the 2012 all ireland and thinking at the time that McHale was a bo--ix and was way out of line,but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was .Pretty sure it was in the Western.McHale was one of my favorite players and I remember meeting an old timer at the final training session before the 96 all ireland and him telling me that McHale should not be on the team as he was only a basketballer.Of course Mchale was man of the match the following Sunday :) :).

But sure he was right. We didn t win. And he was def. right the next day when Lord Liam was sent him off for no reason. Pateen and Noel didn't get sent off. No reason to. Mind you there was no reason to send off any Mayo player that day.
We've disagreed on this one before moy and we're doing it again right now.
After the drawn game Liam went public ( think it was the Western) saying that Mayo weren't prepared for the rough tactics of the Meath men and Mayo would be ready fot them in the replay-or something like that.
There's every chance than McEnaney heard about this and when the big hoor ran in past him and started handbagging all around him, he probably took him at his word and that's why he red-carded Mac.
McEnaney cost us the game alright but it wasn't the sending off that did the damage.
The bustard allowed Geraghty to take a quick free that led to the second goal even though he told both teams before the game that he wouldn't allow quickies to be taken. The Mayo defence was taken completely by surprise but McEnaney allowed the goal to stand in spite of their objections.
I don't think McHale should take his sending off as a personal insult. He brought it on himself. God knows he wasn't a dirty player but he was a pretty innocent one.
He should have kept his gob shut after the first game and be prepared to stand his ground for the replay without broadcasting his intentions.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

screenexile

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 25, 2014, 11:11:21 AM

After the drawn game Liam went public ( think it was the Western) saying that Mayo weren't prepared for the rough tactics of the Meath men and Mayo would be ready fot them in the replay-or something like that.
There's every chance than McEnaney heard about this and when the big hoor ran in past him and started handbagging all around him, he probably took him at his word and that's why he red-carded Mac.
McEnaney cost us the game alright but it wasn't the sending off that did the damage.
The bustard allowed Geraghty to take a quick free that led to the second goal even though he told both teams before the game that he wouldn't allow quickies to be taken. The Mayo defence was taken completely by surprise but McEnaney allowed the goal to stand in spite of their objections.
I don't think McHale should take his sending off as a personal insult. He brought it on himself. God knows he wasn't a dirty player but he was a pretty innocent one.
He should have kept his gob shut after the first game and be prepared to stand his ground for the replay without broadcasting his intentions.

Ah here lads are you having me on or what??!!

DuffleKing

And this awful crime should blacken his reputation for all time? what a load of shite. At least he stood his ground unlike many mayo men in all ireland finals many times.. If this is some sort of reasoning to pick holes in McHale it's pretty pathetic

moysider

Quote from: screenexile on September 25, 2014, 11:16:50 AM

Ah here lads are you having me on or what??!!

It's resentment and bitterness that sustains us through these hard times :'(

weareros

That old John Donnellan quip  would fit Mayo here: "If it was raining soup, ye'd be out with a fork". I'd say in the history of the GAA most manager positions were filled a bit like this.  The problem is the volunteers in charge don't have the skills to deal with the modern world and the pace of how news spreads, and how quickly things can blow up. If back in the 70s or 80s an appointment was filled like this, the only news that would have got out would have been that they interviewed Connelly and Holmes and McStay and McHale and the first two lads got it. No one would have been any the wiser that they'd picked their man before McStay and McHale even interviewed. And even if they did, at most it would have only made the rounds of a few pubs before someone started moaning about something else... the weather, the price of cattle or the three soft All-Irelands Galway won back in the 60s. Did I mention John Donnellan.

Shrewdness

There's obviously a lot of anger and annoyance on these pages at the direction this issue took after Horan stepped down.. As an outsider looking in and trying to wade through the various opinions, can someone answer this for me?...Is the widespread annoyance because of the ''process'' that saw Connelly/ Holmes appointed, or is it specifically because Connelly/ Holmes got the job at all??

Nihilist

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 25, 2014, 01:20:27 PM
There's obviously a lot of anger and annoyance on these pages at the direction this issue took after Horan stepped down.. As an outsider looking in and trying to wade through the various opinions, can someone answer this for me?...Is the widespread annoyance because of the ''process'' that saw Connelly/ Holmes appointed, or is it specifically because Connelly/ Holmes got the job at all??

Process for me.
No one really knows all reasons McStay didn't get the job. Too radical, had to have Liam McHale which some players may not have responded well to, too much of a public media figure...list is endless.

Tubberman

Quote from: Nihilist on September 25, 2014, 01:24:49 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on September 25, 2014, 01:20:27 PM

Process for me.
No one really knows all reasons McStay didn't get the job. Too radical, had to have Liam McHale which some players may not have responded well to, too much of a public media figure...list is endless.

Completely process for me - just so amateurish and sloppy.
I'm still unsure which pairing I'd prefer, but I was probably leaning towards Connelly and Holmes. The reason I wouldn't be too keen on McStay & McHale is almost entirely because of McHale. I don't trust him to keep his mouth shut, he seems to have poor judgement about when to speak and what he should say. 
That was reinforced when he was on Newstalk on Monday evening saying he would never be involved in Mayo football again.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Bensars

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 25, 2014, 10:34:29 AM

Easily, especially when the annual persecution complex raises it head. Post mortem beyond post mortem.
I actually think some of you Mayo buckos get off on playing the victim.

screenexile

Quote from: Bensars on September 25, 2014, 01:43:36 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 25, 2014, 10:34:29 AM

Easily, especially when the annual persecution complex raises it head. Post mortem beyond post mortem.
I actually think some of you Mayo buckos get off on playing the victim.

It's seeming that way. "We lost an All Ireland because McEneaney told us there were to be no quick frees and then he allowed one" bit is staggering really

Lar Naparka

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 25, 2014, 11:55:13 AM

And this awful crime should blacken his reputation for all time? what a load of shite. At least he stood his ground unlike many mayo men in all ireland finals many times.. If this is some sort of reasoning to pick holes in McHale it's pretty pathetic
Come off it  Horse, that's a straw man fallacy if I ever heard of one! ;D
I was talking about a particular incident, no more and no less.
He mouthed after that drawn game that things were going to  be different in the replay. When the craic started, he was not directly involved.  He was out about midfield at the time.
However, he ran in and stood right alongside McEnaney for a second or two to take stock
and then ran in and started flailing all around him.
He "didn't stand his ground" either. He ran 60 yards or so to get involved. I think any sending off was harsh as it was only a case of players letting off steam. If it happened later in the game when everyone has settled down, it would have been a different matter.
The ref decided to send off a player from each side to get the game under control again and it was hard luck on Mayo that he was the one to get the red card. But he can't complain about it as the ref wasn't under any obligation to do a match up when he sent Coyle off along with him.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi