Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Tubberman

Quote from: heffo on September 19, 2014, 01:10:21 PM
McHale is a sticking point with McStay/CB I'm told

Not surprised if that is the case. It will be interesting if push comes to shove, will McStay cut the ties with McHale...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

larryin89

Christ i wasn't expecting just two options.  Could there be dark days ahead, i dont know why, its just the feeling i got this morning when reading this.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: larryin89 on September 19, 2014, 01:58:45 PM
Christ i wasn't expecting just two options. 

That's one more option than we have. ;D

macdanger2

As in, the CB do want McHale or don't want him??

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 19, 2014, 03:26:19 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 19, 2014, 01:58:45 PM
Christ i wasn't expecting just two options. 

That's one more option than we have. ;D

It's sad someone can accumulate an impressive CV over years and years only for it to be worthless against name value, which is genuinely the only thing Walsh had over Warren. Johneen Evans is looking for new selectors, he could do a lot worse than Pete Warren..

heffo

FL/MAYO

Quote from: heffo on September 19, 2014, 03:42:25 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 19, 2014, 03:26:56 PM

As in, the CB do want McHale or don't want him??

Don't want him

Why is McHale not wanted by everyone?

muppet

McHale has given a lot more to Mayo football than most, not least those deciding on a manager.

I am not sure what he brings to the table but if McStay thinks he is important, and the CB vetoes this, then McStay shouldn't take the job. If he can't bring in his own people, then he should walk away imho.
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Quote from: muppet on September 19, 2014, 06:20:09 PM
McHale has given a lot more to Mayo football than most, not least those deciding on a manager.

I am not sure what he brings to the table but if McStay thinks he is important, and the CB vetoes this, then McStay shouldn't take the job. If he can't bring in his own people, then he should walk away imho.

He has given a lot , fair point , its his media outbursts that id say are a handicap.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on September 19, 2014, 07:01:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 19, 2014, 06:20:09 PM

He has given a lot , fair point , its his media outbursts that id say are a handicap.

Yeah, McHale likes to court the media! Now in fairness, so does McStay (it's his Job!!) Look McHale and McStay are family and probably closer than your usual dynamic duo! Call me boring, but there are certain things Horan took away from Mayo football - almost glamorous stuff . Things that are great for the kids and the fair weather supporters but are a disaster in the making to the hardened football fan.

bucko

Whole thing starting to smack of manoeuvring. McStay started out as the strong favourite with a definite interest in the job. Holmes ruled himself out of the running citing work and time commitments. Connelly was only being mentioned by the media, a man with his own business which would put as much if not more demand on his time as with Holmes. If we'd got to last night with McStay as the only nominee the CB would have had no leverage over McStay in terms of his back room staff, resources, etc. So last weekend we had Connelly coming into the betting but no real indication of his interest. By midweek he's the favourite for the job, now with Holmes who appeared to have definitively ruled himself out now on the ticket. Now we have the nominees, the CB can dictate to McStay and have an alternative management option if McStay says no. Maybe I'm being too cynical....

Farrandeelin

Quote from: bucko on September 19, 2014, 08:06:18 PM
Whole thing starting to smack of manoeuvring. McStay started out as the strong favourite with a definite interest in the job. Holmes ruled himself out of the running citing work and time commitments. Connelly was only being mentioned by the media, a man with his own business which would put as much if not more demand on his time as with Holmes. If we'd got to last night with McStay as the only nominee the CB would have had no leverage over McStay in terms of his back room staff, resources, etc. So last weekend we had Connelly coming into the betting but no real indication of his interest. By midweek he's the favourite for the job, now with Holmes who appeared to have definitively ruled himself out now on the ticket. Now we have the nominees, the CB can dictate to McStay and have an alternative management option if McStay says no. Maybe I'm being too cynical....

I cannot understand how Holmes is on the ticket myself, after him definitely saying No in the first instance. Bunker, what did Horan take away from football?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 19, 2014, 08:14:22 PM

I cannot understand how Holmes is on the ticket myself, after him definitely saying No in the first instance. Bunker, what did Horan take away from football?

Horan took away the way players portrayed themselves to the media. In fact the players had little to do with the media. As a Manager he did not court the media. Pre and post match interviews were answered with rehearsed boring catch phrases.  He as such took away the fancy dan feel of previous mayo teams.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 19, 2014, 08:28:28 PM

Horan took away the way players portrayed themselves to the media. In fact the players had little to do with the media. As a Manager he did not court the media. Pre and post match interviews were answered with rehearsed boring catch phrases.  He as such took away the fancy dan feel of previous mayo teams.

Horan was going a bit rare this year, attacked the CB chairman directly in the media after the fundraiser debacle in NY, getting involved in Cork's silly games, hell, the interview this week showed clearly the strain he was under. He wasn't making the calls that would avoid attention or conflict, he gave plenty of copy this year. Partly it was that he simply no longer gave a f**k given he wasn't coming back but he was far from diplomatic.

People laughed when I said there was a clear change in how boisterous Horan was being this year, signs that the pressure of it all was getting to him. I think looking back he was being attacked from all angles (rightly and wrongly) and to get within a referee of a third AI final was an achievement in itself in that context.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 19, 2014, 09:59:19 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 19, 2014, 08:28:28 PM

Horan was going a bit rare this year, attacked the CB chairman directly in the media after the fundraiser debacle in NY, getting involved in Cork's silly games, hell, the interview this week showed clearly the strain he was under. He wasn't making the calls that would avoid attention or conflict, he gave plenty of copy this year. Partly it was that he simply no longer gave a f**k given he wasn't coming back but he was far from diplomatic.

People laughed when I said there was a clear change in how boisterous Horan was being this year, signs that the pressure of it all was getting to him. I think looking back he was being attacked from all angles (rightly and wrongly) and to get within a referee of a third AI final was an achievement in itself in that context.

Not sure Horan was under strain Sy. but he correctly wasn t taking shite from anybody and hats off to him. Goes to show that Mayo managers doing a good job like Horan did and Moran/Morrison did got more flak than a disaster like O Mahoney did from Board/Clubs.

O Mahoney in 4 years of disastrous retro management got it easy compared to Horan. M&M got a worse shoeing in less than a year than Johnno did in his protracted, ordained second coming.

As regards the choice now.

Why is it ok that Connelly and Holmes can go as a duo but Board have a problem with a Batman and Robin double act. How does that stack up?