50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 05, 2014, 11:37:30 PM
What comments moy?   :(

There in a link earlier Farr.
Basically he s saying that next manager will have to do what he s told. At a county board meeting in June Paddy was told he was a dog being wagged by the tail.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 05, 2014, 11:43:07 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 05, 2014, 11:29:22 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on September 05, 2014, 11:15:25 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 05, 2014, 10:58:55 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on September 05, 2014, 06:02:54 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on September 04, 2014, 08:40:23 PM
Horan's achievements are now well documented. He turned them into a serious outfit, but one that always just fell short.. A lot of you Mayo lads on here regularly attend club and county matches, so ye should know ye're stuff by now. So i have a question for ye...When the new manager takes over, and using all Horan's work as his foundation, what will it take to push this Mayo team over the line? Where should he look to find the extra 10 per cent performance required?

Another forward that can score heavily and crucially a forward that can do it in the big games.I am hoping Regan will step up and make the corner forward position his own under the new man.We also need a ball winning full forward.When plan A is not working we need to be able to kick the ball in long and make it stick.This could be anyone of Freeman Barry Moran Andy Moran Kirby or even Aiden o se depending on the new man.Adam Gallagher needs to be giving a real go he looks to be the real deal.The new man or woman needs to have some idea of tactics and not just hope for the best with the opposition danger man.Like all good teams we need a little bit of luck along the way.IMO we are not too far away and if the new man can build on the great work done by Horan and find 1 or 2 forwards ie Regan and Gallagher i would expect us to be challenging for honours next year aswell.

But why Regan and Gallagher being mentioned now? It's too late.
As regards stepping up. They already had but management preferred others - some of whom he couldn't use.
Martin McHugh in a column last spring said that the 2 were players would be big players for Mayo this year.
Too late now to be talking about those lads. God knows what kind of management we ll have going forward,

Moy if it was up to me Regan and Gallagher would have been in last year but we all know Horan had his favourites who rightly or wrongly he preffered.Why do you think its too late for these lads? You dont seem too optimistic on the management front either moy have u heard something?

I m not optimistic about incoming management. Did ye not see Paddy Mac's comments?

As regards the others. If James O Donoghue was from Mayo would probably be in US for Summer. We ve had our chances to close the deal.

I would have thought those comments were to be expected Moy there posturing for position with whoever the new man is.

Nah. Remember the shafting Mickey Moran got early when he demanded reasonable conditions.

Looks to me like executive are locking the doors and are manager will be a yes man.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2014, 11:45:27 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 05, 2014, 11:41:26 PM
Am I alone in thinking Tony McEtee could turn the Mayo team into some outfit and get them over the line with a bit to spare?

No manager is a silver bullet. This panel is operating very near its absolute maximum already. Is McEntee, totally unproven at IC level, going to be far better than probably Mayo's best manager of all-time? I doubt it.
Why does McEntee's name keep cropping up?
Has anyone heard something I don't know?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 05, 2014, 11:54:50 PM
Am I alone in thinking Tony McEtee could turn the Mayo team into some outfit and get them over the line with a bit to spare?

No manager is a silver bullet. This panel is operating very near its absolute maximum already. Is McEntee, totally unproven at IC level, going to be far better than probably Mayo's best manager of all-time? I doubt it.

He was splashed as a cert for the Down job in the Belfast Telegraph today.. a month after the same paper explicitly said he'd ruled himself out of the Down job.

McEntee is a highly rated manager after his spell with Cross so he gets linked to most 'big' IC jobs.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 05, 2014, 11:54:50 PM

He s from Crossmaglen, and Brolly loves him.
Apparently if you manage a club AI win you re special.
Armagh managers have a great record on the road. O Rourke. Mc Geeney and Big Joe ( another Cross man).

Farrandeelin

I have a feeling we'll look back on these 4 years as 4 that slipped away. Especially if a yes man is installed.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 06, 2014, 12:13:25 AM
I have a feeling we'll look back on these 4 years as 4 that slipped away. Especially if a yes man is installed.
I think we need a 'No' man.....Farr-The job is yours!  ;)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

bucko

Zulu

Any good manager would most likely be better than Horan next year for the simple reason that established players have to reprove themselves and those who got little game time would feel they've a clean slate with the new man. As long as the manager and his backroom are of the necessary quality then they'd most likely get a bit more out of the squad next year. McEntee would be a very good option IMO and well worth exploring.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on September 06, 2014, 12:49:38 PM

Any good manager would most likely be better than Horan next year for the simple reason that established players have to reprove themselves and those who got little game time would feel they've a clean slate with the new man. As long as the manager and his backroom are of the necessary quality then they'd most likely get a bit more out of the squad next year. McEntee would be a very good option IMO and well worth exploring.

There might be a lot less left in the tank than you're assuming. Very little complacency in that team this year. It's very up in the air if any manager would be about to get Mayo over the line next year. I wouldn't be putting much money on it happening. Best case scenario is Dublin in an AISF next year for Mayo. That mightn't even be winnable if Dublin keep improving.

McEntee sounds like he's already given the bishop's wave to Down so that isn't an option worth exploring at all.

Zulu

QuoteMcEntee sounds like he's already given the bishop's wave to Down so that isn't an option worth exploring at all.

So an unverified media report means one of the most promising young managers in the country isn't worth a phone call to see if he has an interest? Of course it is.

QuoteThere might be a lot less left in the tank than you're assuming. Very little complacency in that team this year. It's very up in the air if any manager would be about to get Mayo over the line next year. I wouldn't be putting much money on it happening.

Sure that's potentially true of any team,  I doubt there's complacency in any All Ireland challenger. Nobody can be sure if Mayo can improve but players like Regan, Feeney and Freeman might all add more to Mayo under a new man. COC and AOS can improve further and there's no reason to think the likes of SOS, Keegan, Higgins, Boyle and others will regress under any decent manager. Mayo have a top quality squad and they should be considering all options carefully as a 'handy' appointment might find them back in the pack whereas an astute appointment might get them over the line.

DuffleKing

Talk around armagh is that down won't happen now - Mourne men aren't prepared to meet the finances

larryin89

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 06, 2014, 04:54:58 PM

Talk around armagh is that down won't happen now - Mourne men aren't prepared to meet the finances

Hey? Hasn't he just been appointed?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Tubberman

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 06, 2014, 04:54:58 PM

Well he's unlikely to get much out of Mayo either....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Why is McEntee held in such high regard?