John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

maigheo

As far as I know Mike Connelly had  stepped back from the process of appointing the next Mayo manager as his brother was involved and I do not think it is fair to say otherwise right now.To make things more bizarre Connelly and Holmes were interviewed last night for the job for which they had already been appointed last friday.Jeez you could not make this shit up.For me I would have preferred Connelly to have got the job by himself as I have still bad memories of the Pat Holmes  nightmare from 2000 to 2003 culminating with the meek surrender to Cork in the all ireland Q final.I will always remember watching that game in NY and after hoping I would not meet any Irish person in case they would ask me about the game as I felt so embarrassed

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: moysider on September 23, 2014, 11:53:04 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 23, 2014, 11:39:02 PM
The only way I could see it working out would be as part of an entirely new process under a new selection committee. With connelly and Holmes being interviewed as one of the candidates - they don't seem to have done anything wrong in all of this so they shouldn't be excluded.

Can't see it happening though

Dunno. I suspect that Holmes and Connelly were 'groomed' for this. They are in it up to their necks afaic.

McStay will have nothing to do with it now anyway I d suspect.

So if there s any way out of this mess it will have to be something else. Maybe a James Nallen that would have the respect of everybody or an outsider that would not have any of this local stink about them. Time to give that lad in Crossmaglen a call or Jack O Connor. Put this nonsense behind us.

In fairness, unless you know something other than what's been revealed on here so far, I would hold back on making such statements. As far as I can see, Noel Connelly or Pat Holmes have done nothing wrong here, and until someone can show me evidence to indicate otherwise they shouldn't have their names blackened over this.

From where we are currently in this mess, the only way forward I can see is to leave Connelly and Holmes in place.
McStay won't go near the job, and it is hard to see any decent candidates put their hat in the ring if the process was re-started.

McNicholas has to walk, and if not, he must be pushed. The problem with this cartel is, there are many good GAA men in the county that would not go near the CB due to the politics involved (and most decent men wouldn't last five minutes with the backstabbing involved)
Hasta la victoria siempre

Jinxy

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kevin-mcstay-reveals-massive-disappointment-in-missing-out-on-mayo-post-and-slams-liam-mchales-detractors-30611206.html

McStay also criticised some players for their feelings towards Liam McHale who McStay wished to appoint as a coach had he been selected.

"Apparently, some players and members of James Horan's managerial structure had a problem with some of the comments he(McHale) made over a period of time in a local newspaper. God love them if their sensitivities were a little bruised," he added.

What was this about lads?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

highorlow

Quote"Apparently, some players and members of James Horan's managerial structure had a problem with some of the comments he(McHale) made over a period of time in a local newspaper. God love them if their sensitivities were a little bruised," he added.

Pot Kettle Black.

There had to be a reason behind the swiftness of the decision. At least he has come out now and repaired some of his leak's. Fair play to him but his media skills came into play by leaving this revelation for one of his own commercial paper employers, the hearld, rather than spitting it out in the Mayo news interview. Instead he tried to keep coy about the matter.

I'm not here to defend the CB or anything like that but KMcS hasn't exactly covered himself in plaudits by consistently stating he is working for the good of Mayo football yet on the other hand playing the local and national media game for what can only be said is his own benefit. He is trying to have his cake and eat it.

Ultimately the players and DBuckley appeared to have a say which has to be a good thing (almost every Mayo poster wanted DB to be kept for some continuity), the CB are damed if they do and damed if they don't. The players must always come first. If this is the cartel that one poster has alleged then the players and some of the previous management are in it!

It is unfortunate that the CB weren't as quick to get behind the players and previous management for the Limerick fixture as they were to act in this appointment.

Also it is obvious some communication and internal CB team building issues need to be resolved but that doesn't really concern or affect the team.

It has to be said that KMcS did drip feed the media and it is causing undue hyperbole. This benefits no one. He could have said what he said in the indo article straight up, perhaps he did and the Mayo news held back? Obviously feels bitter about what had happened but this is now getting childish.  The proof of this is that the children over on the WJ site are gone haywire altogether.

It's time to move on now and get behind the new management. It's a f**king disgrace what some posters have said here already basing everything on hearsay and in particular judging the new management before a ball is even kicked.

Just have a look at the comment beneath the indo article, it's becoming laughable outside the county now.

I was criticized yesterday for my rational take on this matter where I was basing only my analysis on the facts presented and these facts were and can only be on what KMS had to say, or as it turned out yesterday half say, in the Mayo news. I don't live at home so I don't hear the rumors or hearsay and even if I did I wouldn't take heed of them.

Also I'm glad, as one poster has said, that Noel Connelly's brother stepped aside during this process. That was the obvious intelligent and honorable thing to do.

One final word on this, if Liam McHale had long term ambitions over been involved with this current crop of great players then slating them publicly wasn't a very intelligent move.

We have two intelligent lads in charge who just want to do the best for the county. Time to get behind them.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

Quote from: highorlow on September 24, 2014, 10:27:14 AM
Quote"Apparently, some players and members of James Horan's managerial structure had a problem with some of the comments he(McHale) made over a period of time in a local newspaper. God love them if their sensitivities were a little bruised," he added.

Pot Kettle Black.

There had to be a reason behind the swiftness of the decision. At least he has come out now and repaired some of his leak's. Fair play to him but his media skills came into play by leaving this revelation for one of his own commercial paper employers, the hearld, rather than spitting it out in the Mayo news interview. Instead he tried to keep coy about the matter.

I'm not here to defend the CB or anything like that but KMcS hasn't exactly covered himself in plaudits by consistently stating he is working for the good of Mayo football yet on the other hand playing the local and national media game for what can only be said is his own benefit. He is trying to have his cake and eat it.

Ultimately the players and DBuckley appeared to have a say which has to be a good thing (almost every Mayo poster wanted DB to be kept for some continuity), the CB are damed if they do and damed if they don't. The players must always come first. If this is the cartel that one poster has alleged then the players and some of the previous management are in it!

It is unfortunate that the CB weren't as quick to get behind the players and previous management for the Limerick fixture as they were to act in this appointment.

Also it is obvious some communication and internal CB team building issues need to be resolved but that doesn't really concern or affect the team.

It has to be said that KMcS did drip feed the media and it is causing undue hyperbole. This benefits no one. He could have said what he said in the indo article straight up, perhaps he did and the Mayo news held back? Obviously feels bitter about what had happened but this is now getting childish.  The proof of this is that the children over on the WJ site are gone haywire altogether.

It's time to move on now and get behind the new management. It's a f**king disgrace what some posters have said here already basing everything on hearsay and in particular judging the new management before a ball is even kicked.

Just have a look at the comment beneath the indo article, it's becoming laughable outside the county now.

I was criticized yesterday for my rational take on this matter where I was basing only my analysis on the facts presented and these facts were and can only be on what KMS had to say, or as it turned out yesterday half say, in the Mayo news. I don't live at home so I don't hear the rumors or hearsay and even if I did I wouldn't take heed of them.

Also I'm glad, as one poster has said, that Noel Connelly's brother stepped aside during this process. That was the obvious intelligent and honorable thing to do.

One final word on this, if Liam McHale had long term ambitions over been involved with this current crop of great players then slating them publicly wasn't a very intelligent move.

We have two intelligent lads in charge who just want to do the best for the county. Time to get behind them.

What did he say though?
It seems any criticism nowadays is considered 'slating' by players so I'd be interested to know what he actually said that was so bad.
I've heard nothing about this before but were people annoyed by his comments at the time or is this all just coming out now?

highorlow

Moysider. I read McHale's comments in today's indo.

Can the pair not just let it go. It's done and dusted. They didn't get the gig. Move on like everyone else that doesn't get what they want.

Dont Matter

Ah this is another year that Mayo fans got their hopes up thinking it was their time to lift Sam and yet again it ends in embarrassment. You have to feel sorry for them in a way but at the same time it's a bit funny. They never learn do they? I think it was last years final that had Maughan saying he just felt deep down that this was Mayo's time, he really should know better.
The longer the wait goes on the more obsessed and fanatical they all become. It's at scary levels now, a part of you thinks you'd like them to win but that would end the hilarity of it all, this latest episode is comedy gold. I know Mayo fans wont appreciate this comment and they don't exist for other people's entertainment but keep it up lads, maybe next year will be your year.  ;D
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Jinxy

Quote from: highorlow on September 24, 2014, 11:15:21 AM
Moysider. I read McHale's comments in today's indo.

Can the pair not just let it go. It's done and dusted. They didn't get the gig. Move on like everyone else that doesn't get what they want.

In this instance I don't think they should let it go.
It's crazy stuff.

highorlow

QuoteIn this instance I don't think they should let it go.
It's crazy stuff

They both preach about the good of Mayo football. This isn't doing Mayo any good.

Also for a 'team' they have conflicting reasons for not becoming the chosen ones, which is another reason to knock this on the head:

MacHale  = Plans too radical for CB
McStay    = Previous management team and players upset by McHales comments.

It's crazy alright.

Shrewdness

After what has gone on, it's hard to see either Kevin Mc Stay or Liam Mc Hale ever having any management role with the Mayo Senior team, particularly if the CB have an issue with Mc Hale.

ballinaman

Didn't James Horan write with the Western prior to getting the gig?
I asked a player this time last year on his thoughts about the potential for McStay being next in line after Horan, he said he didn't want him then because he felt McStay was too critical of Mayo on the Sunday Game regularly. Thought he shouldn't have been so critical seeing as he was from Mayo.
Make of that what you will.

Jinxy

larryin89

What players is it i wonder, ones that could be axed under McStay & McHale.
I don't know any of the players only Andy and i have never spoke to him about anything worthwhile  typing in here, so all i can go on is whats up for grabs on public view.

Andy was asked on radio would the players be having any input into the next appointment, his answer was , '' if the cb want to include a players perspective thats fine but other than that '' AOS was asked by newstalk the same question , he answered similarly but was a bit more reluctant , i can't remember his exact response. Alan Dillon was also asked by one of the papers down home i think and his response was a bit more strong in that he said , that he didnt think they should be involved in the process at all.

This continuity v radical is very interesting and it has made me rethink if  im honest. Who in gods name wants to continue to not win Sam? I find this language rather amusing but it is also a case of not knowing McStays radical changes , so its hard to judge. Change is needed though , we don't have to change any of the good work Horan has done but we have to change our approach to our actual gameplan if we are going to get to the next level of actually winning all Irelands.We can keep winning Connacht titles till the cows come home as its not hard to do at present and our present is good enough to achieve that.

All that said and done, its hard to see Connelly & Holmes not being our next management. I don't envy them, some pressure now.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Jinxy

It might be the case that all things being equal, Connelly & Holmes ARE the best choice, but this is a bad start and anyone with an agenda will be waiting in the wings to bring up the appointment process if they don't hit the ground running.