I am thinking of founding a new religious movement

Started by muppet, August 22, 2014, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I really feel the time is right. But I need advice on some key decisions that would have to be made up front.

Leadership
Obviously I would have to be in charge, but what would the organisational structure look like?

Ideology
This is a killer, normally I hate ideology but you just have to have one in a religious movement, otherwise there is no point. So what would we believe in? It would have to be something that fits into a dogma. Do we want the fear of God style or the meditation reflective style, or can we come up with something else, like the successful, but short lived, 'make love not war' fad.

Money
Do we need it? Are we against it or for it? Should we just insist everyone hands over what they have right from the start?

Mad rules
Do we go down the road of a particular dress code or hairstyle? Do we ban something innocuous just for the hell of it? Like fruit? How about 'beer on a friday' as in you must consume lots?

Proselytising
We wouldn't want anything that would be like hard work, or even dangerous, so I am thinking a BookFace campaign or twitter etc. Can someone come up with a ice bucket type idea, but that looks cool from a religious movement point of view? We'd have millions of members by the end of August.

Afterlife
We would need to be able to deal with this question in particular. I am thinking along the lines of a giant rapidly spinning revolving door in the centre of the universe, that you go there when you die and it flings you back out randomly to somewhere else in the universe. What do you think?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

dec

muppet

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on August 22, 2014, 06:55:05 PM
What authority will women be given?

I was thinking of giving them full authority to do as they are told.
MWWSI 2017

Shrewdness

YNWA stands for YOU NEVER WIN ANYTHING!!...Very stupid thread btw.

muppet

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 22, 2014, 07:10:46 PM

I was wondering how long it would be before we had to deal with the Roscommon issue.
MWWSI 2017

bucko

Quote from: muppet on August 22, 2014, 07:13:14 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on August 22, 2014, 07:10:46 PM

I was wondering how long it would be before we had to deal with the Roscommon issue.
Maybe Roscommon can be purgatory in this new religion??? (I thought hell would be a bit much)

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on August 22, 2014, 06:42:01 PM
I really feel the time is right. But I need advice on some key decisions that would have to be made up front.

Leadership
Obviously I would have to be in charge, but what would the organisational structure look like?
PR like Agent Provocateur and discipline like The Spanish Inquisition . Isolated cell structure so that if individuals are persecuted they don't name others

Ideology
This is a killer, normally I hate ideology but you just have to have one in a religious movement, otherwise there is no point. So what would we believe in? It would have to be something that fits into a dogma. Do we want the fear of God style or the meditation reflective style, or can we come up with something else, like the successful, but short lived, 'make love not war' fad.

A holy site so The Hyde or else Longford.

Money
Do we need it? Are we against it or for it? Should we just insist everyone hands over what they have right from the start?

Look down on money but open a few bank accounts. Compound interest over the centuries adds up to quite a lot. 

Mad rules
Do we go down the road of a particular dress code or hairstyle? Do we ban something innocuous just for the hell of it? Like fruit? How about 'beer on a friday' as in you must consume lots?

you could set a date and wear the clothes on that date into eternity but you would need to check with Penneys on the availability of devotee clothing going forward.
Should all devotees wear their hair long or have special underwear ?

If you are going to have holy wine pick something decent
Get a biscuit contract for any communion/shared food

Proselytising
We wouldn't want anything that would be like hard work, or even dangerous, so I am thinking a BookFace campaign or twitter etc. Can someone come up with a ice bucket type idea, but that looks cool from a religious movement point of view? We'd have millions of members by the end of August.
something based around funny kittens

Afterlife
We would need to be able to deal with this question in particular. I am thinking along the lines of a giant rapidly spinning revolving door in the centre of the universe, that you go there when you die and it flings you back out randomly to somewhere else in the universe. What do you think?
Reincarnation may be worth a look. The 72 virgins thing has gone out of fashion and purgatory is hard to sell to teenagers. 

mylestheslasher

Roscommon should be central to this new religion. If you misbehave its straight to Roscommon for you to be tortured by the demons of Ros - Syferus, rossiewanderer and shrewdness.

moysider

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 22, 2014, 09:39:13 PM
Roscommon should be central to this new religion. If you misbehave its straight to Roscommon for you to be tortured by the demons of Ros - Syferus, rossiewanderer and shrewdness.

We can build a Wacko style commune in The Hyde.

Can we have polygamy Muppet - lots of it? If we can have polygamy count me in. I m not too bothered about any of the other stuff. We all get reincarnated anyway.

seafoid

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 22, 2014, 09:39:13 PM
Tony Fearon could be a fallen angel.

ONeill

Can I get back to the women - are there limits on wives?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.