NCAA at Croke Park - Penn State v UCF

Started by AZOffaly, August 12, 2014, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on August 13, 2014, 10:55:49 AM
Will this load of armour plated foreign game sh1te not eff up the pitch the day before an All Ireland Semi final? >:( >:(
If we must have this stuff in a GAA Ground why not hive it off to Limerick where there's a fine Stadium which has been filled about twice since redevelopment?

Not a clue, have you?

Hardy

Will this load of armour plated foreign game sh1te not eff up the pitch the day before an All Ireland Semi final? >:( >:(
If we must have this stuff in a GAA Ground why not hive it off to Limerick where there's a fine Stadium which has been filled about twice since redevelopment?

Interestingly enough, during our decades of cringing obsession with bans and prohibitions, American throwball was played several times at Croke Park and was never considered a "foreign game".  On the other hand, soccer and rugby, played by hundreds of thousands of our own people, were officially "foreign".

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 13, 2014, 11:11:57 AM

Not a clue, have you?

Enlighten me please.

Hardy I think we all know that "foreign" meant of British origin. Americans were more or less Irish to the banning crowd .......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2014, 11:18:05 AM

Interestingly enough, during our decades of cringing obsession with bans and prohibitions, American throwball was played several times at Croke Park and was never considered a "foreign game".  On the other hand, soccer and rugby, played by hundreds of thousands of our own people, were officially "foreign".
The word "foreign" has never been mentioned in any GAA rule book, statute or guideline that I'm aware of. At some stage, in the scramble for the high moral ground, the quotations were added to slyly suggest that they are.

Hardy

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 13, 2014, 11:50:43 AM

The word "foreign" has never been mentioned in any GAA rule book, statute or guideline that I'm aware of. At some stage, in the scramble for the high moral ground, the quotations were added to slyly suggest that they are.

You're right in so far as I shouldn't have said "officially". But the words "foreign games" were part of the vocabulary of the official GAA and the concept part of the DNA.

deiseach

After all these years, you find that interesting?

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on August 13, 2014, 01:01:55 PM

After all these years, you find that interesting?

I'm easily interested and it's not that many years since we were hotly debating Rule 42 here.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2014, 12:41:14 PM

You're right in so far as I shouldn't have said "officially". But the words "foreign games" were part of the vocabulary of the official GAA and the concept part of the DNA.
If I were to invent a machine analyse it, those who coined the term were more likely to be outside the tent peeing in, than inside the tent peeing on themselves.

And as for those who prefix it "so called"!
Or those who prefix anything with "so called". Like "so called weaker counties". Happy to use the term to advance their argument, but playing to the gallery by pretending they don't like it.
It's usually so called experts who do this!

The Biff

I'm bringing Biff Junior and a few of his pals along.  I was at a few of the past instalments of these events here, including in the old Landsdowne Rd stadium and in the old Croker too.  It amazed me the amount of people who are pitch-side for each team, and the whole warm-up routines before the game.  The Americans sure know how to put on a real spectacle.

So who should we be cheering for?  Who is the underdog?  Is Penn State "perceived" to have the greater Irish connections?
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

Rossfan

Can anyone find what was the actual wording of the oul Rule 27 abolished in 1971?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on August 13, 2014, 11:49:50 AM

Not a clue, have you?

Enlighten me please.

Hardy I think we all know that "foreign" meant of British origin. Americans were more or less Irish to the banning crowd .......

"Armour plated"? Do I need to explain that no-one is wearing plate armour? "Foreign game" - correct, the game does not originate in Ireland but I thought we had got over the use of that term a long time ago. "sh1te" - opinions are like arseholes etc but many, many hundreds of thousands of people would disagree with you. College football is hugely popular in the US and NFL is miles ahead as the most popular sport there. The popularity extends beyond the US. To refer to it as "armour plated foreign game sh1te" or "this stuff" indicates it's some sort of freak show, not the most popular sport in one of the biggest countries in the world.

As for whether it will "eff up the pitch the day before an All Ireland Semi final?" - this shows a complete ignorance again of the game and Croke Park. Perhaps you are thinking of rugby with scrums etc and the old Lansdowne Road pitch? American football is quite different. It has no rugby scrums (they are in rugby - are you still with me?). It is another foreign game but it is not the same. Also the surface of Croke Park is of the highest standard and well able to take multiple matches in a short space of time.

As for sending the game to Limerick again just an insulting comment in line with the rest of your post. It was mentioned earlier over 50,000 will attend including 20,000 visitors from the US so for that reason alone (though there are many others) Limerick would of course be a silly idea.

I hope this helps you avoid making a fool of yourself again.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 13, 2014, 05:43:47 PM

Can anyone find what was the actual wording of the oul Rule 27 abolished in 1971?

Hope your Leaving Cert results went well today, Ross.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 13, 2014, 06:08:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 13, 2014, 11:49:50 AM

Not a clue, have you?

Enlighten me please.

"Armour plated"? Do I need to explain that no-one is wearing plate armour? so they wear just jerseys and shorts like GAA or Soccer teams?"
Foreign game" - correct, the game does not originate in Ireland but I thought we had got over the use of that term a long time ago.
"sh1te" - opinions are like arseholes etc but many, many hundreds of thousands of people would disagree with you. College football is hugely popular in the US and NFL is miles ahead as the most popular sport there. The popularity extends beyond the US. To refer to it as "armour plated foreign game sh1te" or "this stuff" indicates it's some sort of freak show, not the most popular sport in one of the biggest countries in the world. - George W Bush was very popular there too

As for whether it will "eff up the pitch the day before an All Ireland Semi final?" - this shows a complete ignorance again of the game and Croke Park. Perhaps you are thinking of rugby with scrums etc and the old Lansdowne Road pitch? American football is quite different. It has no rugby scrums (they are in rugby - are you still with me?). It is another foreign game but it is not the same. Also the surface of Croke Park is of the highest standard and well able to take multiple matches in a short space of time. - We'll see on that one
As for sending the game to Limerick again just an insulting comment in line with the rest of your post. It was mentioned earlier over 50,000 will attend including 20,000 visitors from the US so for that reason alone (though there are many others) Limerick would of course be a silly idea. - So all visitors should only go to Dublin??? Sending people to Limerick is an insult??? Gaelic Grounds can hold up to 50,000 by the way.

I hope this helps you avoid making a fool of yourself again. - The only fools are those who will pay money to watch that shtuff
I'll be praying for rain in Dublin that day  :P

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on August 13, 2014, 06:09:44 PM
Hope your Leaving Cert results went well today, Ross.

Done and dusted before you were born a Shyfín  ;)

AZOffaly

Well fellow heathens, who is still going to this? I'm looking forward now. Heading up on Friday to get the high school game at UCD, and then the big one on Saturday. After the match then, find a pub and watch Kerry - Mayo. Actually, if the GAA had cop on, they should show Kerry Limerick on the big screen and keep the people in the ground drinking GAA beer.