NCAA at Croke Park - Penn State v UCF

Started by AZOffaly, August 12, 2014, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Sorry for not putting this in the American Sports Thread, but given it's imminent date and the fact it's in Ireland I thought it merited a new thread. Anyone heading to this? UCF were good last year, won the Fiesta Bowl actually, but they've lost Blake Bortles. Penn State would obviously be one of *the* big names in US College Sports, but they've been hit by sanctions since the Jerry Sandusky incidents at Penn State, and this is really their bowl game you suspect.

Apparently 20,000 fans from the US making the trip. If it was in the Aviva it would probably sell out. Hard to see it topping 50k or so at Croker though, although it is nice of the Dubs to let these teams play there.

magpie seanie

Will it be on TV? Have a thing on here in Sligo that weekend but wouldn't mind a look. Probably ESPN I suppose.

AZOffaly

Yeah, it's on ESPN 2 in the states. Not sure about ESPN or BT Sports here, but wouldn't be surprised.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2014, 01:49:54 PM
Sorry for not putting this in the American Sports Thread, but given it's imminent date and the fact it's in Ireland I thought it merited a new thread. Anyone heading to this? UCF were good last year, won the Fiesta Bowl actually, but they've lost Blake Bortles. Penn State would obviously be one of *the* big names in US College Sports, but they've been hit by sanctions since the Jerry Sandusky incidents at Penn State, and this is really their bowl game you suspect.

Apparently 20,000 fans from the US making the trip. If it was in the Aviva it would probably sell out. Hard to see it topping 50k or so at Croker though, although it is nice of the Dubs to let these teams play there.

Dont Matter doesn't need goaded like this !!  :)

Syferus

I'd head up if any of the lads around here had a bit of interest in it. If there's still life in UCF without Bortles this could be a very good game, the winners should be well on the path to being a top 20 team at least.

Rois

I got Mr Rois tickets for it for Christmas.  Seems so long ago now. 

We looked at the packages they were offering the college alumni on their websites - $10k before airfare to come and play four rounds of golf around the country or something like that. 

Anyone know if the premium ticket holders/box ticket holders have any benefits for this one?  If they had any options I suppose they'd have had to take up the offers by now.

AZOffaly

Dunno, but I'm in a premium box as well, so I hope so :)

BarryBreensBandage

I am taking my son to this - he has been waiting for this since Christmas, and is NFL mad!
Anyone know if there any events based around the match that I could take him to before/after?

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

AZOffaly

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on August 12, 2014, 05:39:52 PM
I am taking my son to this - he has been waiting for this since Christmas, and is NFL mad!
Anyone know if there any events based around the match that I could take him to before/after?

There is alright. I saw something and I'm sure the marching bands will be there. I'll take a look for you.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

orangeman

Dublin should start a NFL franchise to allow players not good enough for the Gaelic and hurling teams to play.

A combined Dublin colleges team would have a decent pick.

BarryBreensBandage

Thanks Lads - I have a wedding on the Friday so won't be able to get to the events there, but the Temple Bar thing sounds like a good shout
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

donelli

This game starts at 1.30. How long does it last/time expected to be over at?

Rossfan

Will this load of armour plated foreign game sh1te not eff up the pitch the day before an All Ireland Semi final? >:( >:(
If we must have this stuff in a GAA Ground why not hive it off to Limerick where there's a fine Stadium which has been filled about twice since redevelopment?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM