Donegal v Dublin AISF 31st Aug 2014

Started by StephenC, August 11, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 02, 2014, 11:22:37 PM
I think I say this every year but IMHO when it comes down to the last 4, there's a much of a muchness with factors like fitness and workmanship. However I think those who believe that bit stronger have the edge.
You could see the Donegal body language change from F##k we're gonna get hammered here to our tactics to frustrate them is working and now these awesome footballers have doubts and can't kick points from 30 yards now.

It was like watching you against us in 2010.

drici

Just seeing this picture with all the expressions now.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Couple of faces there that would put you off your dinner

DandyMan

Before anyone misconstrues my post, let me be clear. Dublin were beaten comprehensively by a better team on the day. What are your views about the five day training camp? What did it consist of? Is this not against the concept of amateurism? I am not against it in principle but does it not challenge the traditional view that the GAA is about the amateur ethos?

J OGorman

was it Armagh started off the training camps circa '02 in la Manga? been going on a while Dandy

Bensars

Quote from: DandyMan on September 03, 2014, 04:39:57 PM
Before anyone misconstrues my post, let me be clear. Dublin were beaten comprehensively by a better team on the day. What are your views about the five day training camp? What did it consist of? Is this not against the concept of amateurism? I am not against it in principle but does it not challenge the traditional view that the GAA is about the amateur ethos?

Amatuer ethos?  is that your real concern ??

Quote from: DandyMan on February 14, 2008, 12:42:57 PM
The AFL has every right to seek out players with the potential talent to make it in Oz. What does the GAA offer any young lad with talent? Zilch.

Quote from: DandyMan on October 18, 2007, 01:42:00 PM
I find it incredible that virtually all of the posters here are ignoring the fact that this is but one further step in the inexorable move to a form of professionalism at the top end of the GAA. I see nothing wrong with this - if we want to see the level of fitness and professionalism that has been exhibited by the counties over the past ten years or so. I see no reason why we don't go the way that the AFL has gone in Australia. Sport in general and the GAA in particular has adopted effective marketing strategies in recent years. Why should the players not benefit from it? Rugby has gone the same way. Let's get real here. The demands put forward by Dessie Farrell and his organisation are so mild that they barely scratch the surface. I would prefer to witness high quality professional GAA over the summer months rathetr than going back to the days when players were not properly fit.

Amatuer ethos is a long way from your preference

BluestackBoy

If the players are not being paid then they are amateurs which is all he GAA demands.  I don't see how preparing well for a game can be considered to be against the ethos of he GAA.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Mike Sheehy

Its a fair point alright. I think Donegal need to come clean on this sort of thing. It is a very professional set up and the Celtic connection is not going to make it any more amateur, that's for sure.

BluestackBoy

Let's go the whole hog and make the players walk to game, tog out in the bushes & drink water from milk bottles at half time. Let's ban training & let the sheep keep the grass short.

Down with everything!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Rossfan

And fine the fcukers if they don't hand the jersey back to the Co Secretary after the game. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 03, 2014, 05:22:21 PM

If the players are not being paid then they are amateurs which is all he GAA demands.  I don't see how preparing well for a game can be considered to be against the ethos of he GAA.

I put up an article a few days ago which had a great line in it. if Dublin went for a 5 day training camp it would have been on the Six One news.

perfectly put in my view. You lot want it every way with Dublin while letting everyone else do whatever the hell else they want.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Jimmys poor mouth the week before the game whilst sitting in a jacuzzi tub in Johnstown house talking to Newstalk........................................a great team but a hypocrite of the highest order, how much of his privately raised funds goes back to the grass roots ?

J OGorman

Why don't Dublin just buy Johnstown? 2015 Sam in the bag

BennyCake

Quote from: J OGorman on September 03, 2014, 04:46:20 PM
was it Armagh started off the training camps circa '02 in la Manga? been going on a while Dandy

Sean Boylan had Meath away on trips to Scotland and the likes, in the early 90s, if not before.

INDIANA

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 03, 2014, 09:26:51 PM
Jimmys poor mouth the week before the game whilst sitting in a jacuzzi tub in Johnstown house talking to Newstalk........................................a great team but a hypocrite of the highest order, how much of his privately raised funds goes back to the grass roots ?

Its well known Donegal have private funds from London and New York. As well as availing of the sports science department in Celtic.

But that's ok because its not Dublin