Donegal v Dublin AISF 31st Aug 2014

Started by StephenC, August 11, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

not sure the rule but little looked wrong with the goal. I remember a player of ours getting blown up in a junior game back in the 90`s with a basketball round the back hand switch (hell looked cool) which the ref blew for switching hands with the ball round his back, to me the handpass was legal if he kept both hands on the ball when switching hands but if he flicked it to the other hand it as a foul.; so this ref reckoned anyway. never did check the rule!

orangeman

Donegal needed goals today and got them at vital stages.

Goals win matches as they say. Dublin defence were run tagged and the difference between Donegal and those who had tried to beat Dublin before was that Donegal were able to not only defend well but attack after the turnover was made. The conditioning of both teams was incredible. The hits in the 2 semi finals over the weekend was very similar to rugby and the game is becoming more like rugby every day with teams going through the phases and tactics. No more 15 v 15.

Jim Mc Guinness has done it again - question is - can he finish it off ?

Can't wait for the final now.

No F16 fighters or skydivers will be needed on 21st to create an atmosphere.

WT4E

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 01, 2014, 12:05:36 AM
Quote from: StephenC on August 31, 2014, 11:56:15 PM
Some other thoughts

Good
The unassailable trust in themselves and each other that the lads have
Ryan McHugh looks like he was made for this stage - easy to forget that this is his first year established on the team
The impact of our subs (Toye, McBrearty)
Flynn - just class
The new sound insulation they put in front of the hill is working really well
Michael Murphy - he's not bad is he?
17/25 success rate - according to @dontfoul, that's the best in the last 3 championships

Bad
Rory O'Carrolls antics all day long - a disgrace
Joe's performance
The Donegal lad blowing the whistle

what did Rory O' Carroll do?

Starting to wonder if you were at the game? I could list some of the things he was at but don't want to go down that road - my point is don't pretend (like the majority) that dublin are whiter than white!!!!

SouthDublinBro

Not to sound sour Donegal were the better side, but Michael Murphy deserves to be retroactively banned over his "yellow card" incident. Great player, but a nasty piece of work.

orangeman

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 01, 2014, 12:30:50 AM
Not to sound sour Donegal were the better side, but Michael Murphy deserves to be retroactively banned over his "yellow card" incident. Great player, but a nasty piece of work.

Seriously committed player who puts in a lot of big hits that stop the player. He certainly puts himself about and is a real team player.

WT4E

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 01, 2014, 12:30:50 AM

IMO Murphy deserves a medal (possibly an all Ireland) for not giving in - cause most men would of scattered o'carroll if he carryed on like that to them!

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on August 31, 2014, 04:07:33 PM
The other thing biting them is lack of defending practice.

For me, that was the key.

For the third Donegal goal, half of them were standing on halfway scratching their heads.

McGuinness shafted Gavin.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BluestackBoy

They say that the victors get to write the history books & reading some of the posts on here backs that up.

Donegal played really well today but truth be told Dublin could & maybe should have been out of sight after 20 minutes. However you have to take your chances & when Donegal started to get a grip in midfield McGuinness's tactics began to work.

The amount of space Donegal got through the middle was unbelievable, even Antrim were tighter, but what really surprised me was how Dublin lost their composure when the going got tough. Some of the shooting was really poor & most unlike them.

Look, this is still a great bunch of players who had a bad day at the office. Back to backs are hard & they will learn a lot from this & be back. I have no doubt that they will win more All Ireland's but I am also glad that the fear of them steamrolling everyone in sight for the next few years has been allayed.

Finally, a big well done to the Dub supporters, both here & in Croke Park, who have been very magnanimous on what has to be a difficult day.

Now, if anyone can get me a ticket for the final.........
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

east down gael

Quote from: Mario on September 01, 2014, 12:18:34 AM
I'm having a debate with a friend over mcfaddens goal, I think it was illegal, he thinks it wasn't. My point being he had it in two hands then passed it from left to right which I don't think you can do, does anyone know the rule?

If you have the ball in your left hand and throw it to your right hand it's a foul,tho rarely given.if you have the ball in your left hand,bring it back into your right hand and both hands are touching the ball,then control it with your right,there is no foul.from only seeing it in real time mcfaddens goal was legal.much like mulligans famous goal which brought up the same debate.

Ohtoohtobe

Commiserations to the Dubs here. Enthralling to watch. Any intercounty player in the country would have to be raring to get stuck into training after watching that - nothing is impossible.

Mario

Quote from: east down gael on September 01, 2014, 12:49:46 AM
I'm having a debate with a friend over mcfaddens goal, I think it was illegal, he thinks it wasn't. My point being he had it in two hands then passed it from left to right which I don't think you can do, does anyone know the rule?

If you have the ball in your left hand and throw it to your right hand it's a foul,tho rarely given.if you have the ball in your left hand,bring it back into your right hand and both hands are touching the ball,then control it with your right,there is no foul.from only seeing it in real time mcfaddens goal was legal.much like mulligans famous goal which brought up the same debate.
I thought the rule change was brought in sometime after mulligans goal, just nearly sure I've seen frees given for it before

easytiger95

Congratulations to Donegal - huge commitment and heart as expected, but brilliant skill and ruthless execution was the difference on the day. Good luck in the final. I think this is a bit of a golden age for football with teams like Donegal, Dublin, Mayo and Kerry all knocking about and all capable of beating each other on any given day. Reminds me of the Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran days in boxing.

As for us?

Well, we had no plan B. And I really think (and have thought since the Monaghan match) that Jim needs to stop doing his Claudio Ranieri impression every time he picks the team. I think even he got caught up in the whole best panel thing. Although of course, it is great to have options, we need to have a settled first 15. And we need to start playing players in their best positions.

I think at this level, Jonny Cooper is not a centre back, he needs to be in the full back line. I think we need to face the fact that Cian at centre back is a far better option for the team than him at midfield. At midfield we need a more traditional high fielding option to complement MDMA - especially when you have midfielders like Neil Gallagher and David Moran who are well able to win 50/50 ball in the air. Once people have Cluxton's kick outs sussed, we have very little other options. I don't know whether that means bringing Flynner back, or moving James McCarthy forward but it needs to be investigated.

As for the panicking and the wides, I just think we had a systems meltdown and had a very bad day under immense pressure from an excellent team. Doesn't mean players like Berno or Kev Mc have become bad overnight - they will be back. The only upside to yesterday is that some of the hysterical stuff talked on this board about Dublin dominance and financial doping can be seen for the bilge that it was.

Donegal will need to replicate this performance to beat Kerry - I hope the final is a classic. Up the Dubs.

rrhf

Yes it must be said the dubs have brought a lot to the championship for the 2 years and more. Hard luck to them. 

bcarrier

Quote from: Mario on September 01, 2014, 08:00:44 AM
Quote from: east down gael on September 01, 2014, 12:49:46 AM

I thought the rule change was brought in sometime after mulligans goal, just nearly sure I've seen frees given for it before

I thought it was OK.

Murphy got away with a pretty blatant push in the back of Rory O'Carroll in lead up to first goal. Exactly the type of incident that would have resulted in a free in if roles had been reversed.

Two features for me of this football season have been:

- unpunished illegal handpasses
- referees favouring the team in arrears ( probably all has been so)

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: WT4E on September 01, 2014, 12:29:17 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 01, 2014, 12:05:36 AM
Quote from: StephenC on August 31, 2014, 11:56:15 PM
Some other thoughts

Good
The unassailable trust in themselves and each other that the lads have
Ryan McHugh looks like he was made for this stage - easy to forget that this is his first year established on the team
The impact of our subs (Toye, McBrearty)
Flynn - just class
The new sound insulation they put in front of the hill is working really well
Michael Murphy - he's not bad is he?
17/25 success rate - according to @dontfoul, that's the best in the last 3 championships

Bad
Rory O'Carrolls antics all day long - a disgrace
Joe's performance
The Donegal lad blowing the whistle

what did Rory O' Carroll do?

Starting to wonder if you were at the game? I could list some of the things he was at but don't want to go down that road - my point is don't pretend (like the majority) that dublin are whiter than white!!!!

Sorry but ridiculous to single out ROC for anything yesterday. Plenty of digs and what not going on all over. Made no difference to anything. Better team won but if that doesn't satisfy enough, then yes try single out one player ,who happens to be a Dub, for  a bit of tarnishing