J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 31, 2014, 09:54:50 PM
Yes, Flynn too. 

Forgot about that after a few drinks.

Congrats on the win!

Cheers!

sam03/05

Quote from: highorlow on August 31, 2014, 09:47:51 PM
5 steps for Mac faddens goal. I wonder is it because they were small steps the officials let it off. Was at a crucial time in the match.

5 steps- also was his change of hands with the ball legal?

Ringfort

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2014, 09:49:15 PM
5 steps for Mac faddens goal. I wonder is it because they were small steps the officials let it off. Was at a crucial time in the match.

Assuming you are correct, when is the last time a player was pulled for one extra step?

Yeah I made sure to count those steps myself. Vital few baby steps to get around Cluxton and score a match winning goal. Was over carrying and should have been a free out. But was only 5 or 6 steps. I reckon 8 steps is what's allowed now. 9 and you risk getting pulled for it. But if someone is tackling you you are allowed as many steps as it takes to wriggle free and pop the ball off to a colleague. 11 or 12 is not unreasonable. Advantage to the attacker another great rule we are bringing in from other sports.

Premier Emperor

The ref would be blowing every 10 seconds for every player taking 5 steps.
Anyone who claims that a 5 step goal is contentious hasn't a clue.

Rodman

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 31, 2014, 10:10:44 PM

Is there an actual rule that says you cant change hands with the ball or is it just one of these things that people who know nothing about football shout at games.

Also, would have been very harsh to give a free for over carrying on mcfadden.

Premier Emperor

What about Dublin's famous bench?
I thought they had a set of subs better than everyone else's starting 15.  ;D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rodman on August 31, 2014, 10:17:39 PM

Is there an actual rule that says you cant change hands with the ball or is it just one of these things that people who know nothing about football shout at games.

You can change hands with the ball, as long as both hands are in contact with the ball when the change is made. If you are carrying it in  your left, and want to change it to your right, you can do it as long as you put your right hand on the ball before you take your left off it. You can't throw it from one hand to the other basically.

INDIANA

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2014, 08:39:32 PM
One thing though Indiana... if I remember correctly you've constantly extolled the tactics Dublin employ under Jim Gavin, praising his belief in going man for man and letting the chips fall where they may, with the means being just as important as the ends. Today it didn't work. Are you suggesting that Dublin should have retreated a bit with their five point lead?

yep that's exactly what I'm suggesting. We had no half back line today at times. I've never seen anything like it in 40 years of watching and  playing. I can't imagine that's what he expected to happen but we completely panicked today

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on August 31, 2014, 10:21:10 PM
One thing though Indiana... if I remember correctly you've constantly extolled the tactics Dublin employ under Jim Gavin, praising his belief in going man for man and letting the chips fall where they may, with the means being just as important as the ends. Today it didn't work. Are you suggesting that Dublin should have retreated a bit with their five point lead?

yep that's exactly what I'm suggesting. We had no half back line today at times. I've never seen anything like it in 40 years of watching and  playing. I can't imagine that's what he expected to happen but we completely panicked today

Panic or just knackered/not up for it/not hungry enough/seen through
Unbeatable is just crap journalism . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCJz2-uqNmQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriKhvPdA7k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_oW21rzr2M

Rodman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 31, 2014, 10:19:45 PM

You can change hands with the ball, as long as both hands are in contact with the ball when the change is made. If you are carrying it in  your left, and want to change it to your right, you can do it as long as you put your right hand on the ball before you take your left off it. You can't throw it from one hand to the other basically.

Don't think i've ever seen anyone do that, why would a player do that?

Premier Emperor

Quote from: INDIANA on August 31, 2014, 10:21:10 PM

Wow, overhyped, overconfident, overrated team gets turned over.
I've never seen anything like it in my life!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rodman on August 31, 2014, 10:25:17 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 31, 2014, 10:19:45 PM

Don't think i've ever seen anyone do that, why would a player do that?

Hard to foresee why they'd want to alright. But what I'm getting at is it's not a foul to transfer from one hand to the other in the manner I described.

Ringfort

Quote from: Premier Emperor on August 31, 2014, 10:16:18 PM
The ref would be blowing every 10 seconds for every player taking 5 steps.
Anyone who claims that a 5 step goal is contentious hasn't a clue.

I know. It was no where near contentious in the current climate where 8/9 steps when bursting past a defender is the norm.  But by the letter of the law he took too many steps. Perhaps the rule should be amended to allow 5 or 6 steps but I would like to see it enforced. Players trying to run past defenders while holding on to the ball like its rugby are contributing to the problem we have of defining the tackle. It also contributes to worse football through less catch and kick. It took the best player in Ireland, Higgins of Mayo, yesterday to show the art of tackling and man marking. When every player is allowed to over carry at will no other player has a hope of holding up a quick or powerful forward. I just think that it's ridiculous that this is another rule at the discretion of the ref.

WT4E

Missed a few pages here! I was at the the game today as a neutral. Best team won.

One of the things I noticed was the fact that dublin being portrayed as the saviours of lovely Gaelic football is a myth! Probably not visible on tv but the way Ross o'carroll behaved today off the ball with Murphy and others was appalling. Then when Murphy got on top of him all he could offer was swiping at him running away!!!!

Ps Jim Gavin is a serious bad loser - not so smug today!

Looking forward tot the final!