Donegal v Dublin AISF 31st Aug 2014

Started by StephenC, August 11, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knockitdown

I wonder how Mark McHugh is feeling tonight....

babarino

Delighted with that result today, because it shows money can't buy you an AI.

Nothing but admiration for some of the Dublin players, great ambassadors of the game. Nor anything against the Dubs generally - not a culchie v jackeen thing.

But a certain class of Dublin bandwagon jumper like SouthDublinBro is sickening. You'll not hear much from them over the next couple of weeks. They'll be off on another bandwagon - Premiership, Leinster Rugby...

Genuine Dubs will be back out for the League games.

Well done Donegal - flying the flag for Ulster. The real puke was played in Limerick last night.

INDIANA

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2014, 08:34:36 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 31, 2014, 08:08:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2014, 08:04:52 PM
One other thing - I hope today's game puts to bed the common consensus that Donegal's success has come only because they never allow themselves to get behind. Five points down after 20 minutes, Flynn and Connolly knocking them over from all angles and distances, Donegal being run ragged by the perennial champions elect...

What was it, a thirteen point turn around fifteen or twenty minutes of football?

I'll put it to you like this. kerry will never will be as naive tactically today as we were.

We let you off the hook there. However I've no gripes over the 75 mins. the better team won. But if O Gara or conolly finish those chances I don' think you're coming back

Doesn't take away from my point though. It has consistently been a issue people used to question this Donegal team, despite the fact that they've generally answered the question of coming from behind when its been asked of them. They came back from a five point deficit against Tyrone in 2011, they trailed Kildare by three or four points a couple of times in 2011, and now today they reeled in a five point Dublin lead to lead by eight themselves (think Derry were three or four points up on us too this year, although in retrospect there was a little too much hype afforded them after the league). True, they could not come back against Monaghan and Mayo last year, but that was an exhausted side carrying injuries to key players.

I can't argue with that I think 2011 just turned a lot of people off this Donegal team unfortunately. And they've got a lot of unfair press because of it. You couldn't argue with the football they played today.

They are superbly conditioned as well and I imagine their expertise in that sports science area has been helped by the Celtic link. As a result when they go behind they can come back.

But I still think we made it easier then it should have been for them today. Ben Hur and his Chariots could have driven down the centre of our defence today.

J OGorman

Quote from: knockitdown on August 31, 2014, 08:41:37 PM
I wonder how Mark McHugh is feeling tonight....

Delighted I'm sure. Was in the stands going buck mad with the rest of the Donegal fans. Even sweeter as his brother bagged a couple of goals to boot

Mike Sheehy

One other thing - I hope today's game puts to bed the common consensus that Donegal's success has come only because they never allow themselves to get behind. Five points down after 20 minutes, Flynn and Connolly knocking them over from all angles and distances, Donegal being run ragged by the perennial champions elect...

What was it, a thirteen point turn around fifteen or twenty minutes of football?

Spot on. It was very impressive. Hard to see any weaknesses in this team.

J70

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 31, 2014, 08:51:17 PM

Spot on. It was very impressive. Hard to see any weaknesses in this team.

Almost as impressive as reeling in a seven point Mayo lead around the same stage of the game!  ;)  :D

Blowitupref

Well done to Donegal didn't let their heads drop when going through the sticky patch in the opening 15-20 minutes and then took the game to Dublin and powered past them to win pulling up. The Dubs with the talent there and coming through will be back to win more All Irelands however Donegal are true inspiration to any inter-county player/team in Ireland of what can be achieved with hard work and believing in themselves.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jinxy

To my mind, Neil Gallagher must have been close to MOTM.
Seemed to get on a huge amount of ball and use it well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on August 31, 2014, 09:02:22 PM

Yep, I would give it Neil Gallagher as well, in fact he had a strong case for MOTM in each of Donegals last 3 games and must be a strong contender for footballer of the year if Donegal win it.

Was delighted to see Donegal win today, it gives everybody else hope that the Dubs are far from unbeatable. Jim McGuinness is a genius for what he has done with that group of players.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jinxy on August 31, 2014, 09:02:22 PM
Agreed. Will be some battle between himself and David Moran in the final arguably the two best midfielders on current form.

T Fearon

What happens to Dublin now? Do the players all have to look for jobs?

highorlow

5 steps for Mac faddens goal. I wonder is it because they were small steps the officials let it off. Was at a crucial time in the match.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

J70

Quote from: highorlow on August 31, 2014, 09:47:51 PM
5 steps for Mac faddens goal. I wonder is it because they were small steps the officials let it off. Was at a crucial time in the match.

Assuming you are correct, when is the last time a player was pulled for one extra step?

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Jinxy on August 31, 2014, 07:20:59 PM
Dare I say Dublin badly missed Ger Brennan today?

I think this is exactly right.

Better team by far on the day won; Connolly and Brogan (alan) the only forwards who did the business for us. 

Bernard had a really bad day at the office.

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 31, 2014, 09:49:25 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 31, 2014, 07:20:59 PM
Dare I say Dublin badly missed Ger Brennan today?

I think this is exactly right.

Better team by far on the day won; Connolly and Brogan (alan) the only forwards who did the business for us. 

Bernard had a really bad day at the office.

Flynn?