Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 31, 2014, 06:28:41 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 22, 2014, 11:09:37 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 13, 2014, 06:55:14 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 13, 2014, 06:50:39 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 13, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 13, 2014, 02:32:52 PM
Can't see anything but a Dublin win. Too many variables for Donegal, Mark McHugh not playing, Lacey injured, Kavanagh not enough game time, McFadden playing absolute pants all year.

Yes the system will stifle Dublin to an extent but I just think the Dubs have too many good footballers this time around. The year the Dubs beat Donegal on the way to win the All Ireland they didn't have the same calibre of player and weren't playing the same type of football as they are now, this years team would beat the Dubs of 3 years ago quite comfortably I'd suggest.

Anyway I think Dubs by about 10!

2011 side versus 2014 side

goalkeeper- same
full back line - two thirds
half back line - two thirds
midfield- half
half forward line - same
full forward line - two thirds

Not a huge difference. And that will give Donegal lots of hope. Donegal can't win playing like 2011 IMO.

To beat Dublin you need a high shot count and a high accuracy rating (greater then 50%). Currently Donegal have neither playing their current system. That's largely down to the players being 3 years older.

If they concede the short kickouts they'll lose. They have to gamble on their own kick-outs as well and kick the ball to midfield and contest and take the risk of leaving themselves exposed at the back. And put a premium on the breaks. They just won't score enough to win the game otherwise.

I think overall we are better then Donegal at the moment. What Donegal lack are an influx of new players. Only really Mc Nicholas has been a find. O Connor will be a really good player as well in time. Minors should provide them with a few- but they need more of that.

It's the only way they can win. Of course, its entirely possible that they just can't win.

Not a hope. They couldn't keep Dublin out in 2011 with a man extra for last 15 minutes of the 70mins. They aren't going to do it 3 years later.

To win they have to gamble early on and get ahead and then try and lock it up as they do in Ulster.

I hope you deliberately missed the point.

Donegal are a competitive team at the top table because they have a coherent and effective game plan - built on defence first. If they came out and attacked, any number of teams could beat them, never mind this Dublin team.

They will play as they've always done because they must. Playing as you advocate will mean a hammering. Maybe they can't win playing as they normally do but it's the approach that gives them a puncher's chance.

You need a high shot count and a high accuracy rating to beat Dublin (as you say) only if you allow Dublin their normal attacking space to create their normal shot count.

Donegal to come out and gamble Sunday week? Yeah, right.

Ahem

Ahem Donegal scored 3-13 today- they scored 0-6 in 2011

Filed under "must do better"

Like most of the Dublin team today.

larryin89

Unbelievable excitement from neutrals about Dublins defeat , not very sporting tbh.

Donegal played very well and deserved their win of course.

Dublin bought into the hype and never showed up.

Gavin could be overrated as a manger, he nearly fooked it up in last years final as well.

Dublin have buckets of talent and ã conveyer belt coming through,they will be a top team for years to come and will win  more all Ireland's .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

DuffleKing

Master class in soaking up pressure and counter attacking.

Take your medicine.

What was it you said they'd to do?  Gamble early on? Too many good footballers in this Dublin team to lose to donegal playing that way?

Your posts on this thread are cringe stuff. Usual know all approach and certainly Jim gavin was of the same mind.

Dublin's tactical niaivety was astonishing. Donegal couldn't have won without Jim gavin believing and implementing the same nonsense you believed

cicfada

GAA Discussion / Re: Maigh Eo v Corcaigh, 1600, 3ú Lúnasa, Páirc an Crocaigh
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
Mayo should win this by 4 or 5 imo. Kerry will beat our lads by 7 or 8 and it then sets up  the ultimate test of mental strength for mayo. It's the one team that mayo have historically had problems with and if mayo come  through this they will win the AI final. I believe Donegal will beat the dubs in the other semifinal . Kerry will be without cooper so it's a good opportunity for mayo this year to beat them. Cork have forwards but no midfield and this is where mayo will beat them .

I wrote the above on July 28th. Pity I didn't back Donegal as the odds were generous. Just a shame that mayo couldn't fulfill my first part of my prediction. Well done Donegal, I hope they go on to winit now, anyone but Kerry !

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 31, 2014, 06:40:44 PM
Master class in soaking up pressure and counter attacking.

Take your medicine.

What was it you said they'd to do?  Gamble early on? Too many good footballers in this Dublin team to lose to donegal playing that way?

Your posts on this thread are cringe stuff. Usual know all approach and certainly Jim gavin was of the same mind.

Dublin's tactical niaivety was astonishing. Donegal couldn't have won without Jim gavin believing and implementing the same nonsense you believed

You're just a shit stirrer and I'm not going to engage with you . So you can stick your bitterness like Ewan Mc kenna up your arse.

Wh

J OGorman

Alot of self praising going on this evening.

That was some weekend of sport. Might even have a wee read over at Hoganstand. There's some doses who will be getting it tight this evening

Mike Sheehy

I think the time has come to split Donegal. They are just too good.

Hardy

Quote from: larryin89 on August 31, 2014, 06:36:31 PM
Unbelievable excitement from neutrals about Dublins defeat , not very sporting tbh.

+1

And it's hard to think of anything more classless on a forum than to go trawling through old threads to find posts where someone predicted something that turned out the opposite. It's all over the place here today.

DuffleKing

Normally I'd agree hardy but this particular poster has been preaching from on high about all things football for years, preaching to people on their own county affairs - claiming special insight and deriding contrary views. Noone could have predicted today confidently - noone would - but this guy is happy enough to confidently predict the opposite and deride donegal.

If he wants to spend his time on here acting the deity he may take his medicine when it's coming

Captain Obvious

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 31, 2014, 06:21:18 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 31, 2014, 05:06:30 PM
Dublin caught up in their own hype. Superb stuff by Donegal believed in themselves when almost everyone wrote them off.

Nope culchie media hype.......................well grounded here
Would disagree the hype was incredible and would be near impossible to avoid

Ah now Larry you got caught up in the excitement also are you happy now?

Quote from: larryin89 on August 26, 2014, 09:13:05 PM
let there be no dublin v kerry final, jesus let there be no kerry v dublin final, please f**k sake let there be no dublin v kerry final.Thats all they want.

Whitnail

Dublin bought into the hype and never showed up.

Gavin could be overrated as a manger, he nearly fooked it up in last years final as well.

Dublin have buckets of talent and ã conveyer belt coming through,they will be a top team for years to come and will win  more all Ireland's .

Yep totally agree .Dublin still the team to beat and will be for as far as I can see anyway.

The man to man marking at the back was poorly executed today and they were horribly exposed for the goals. But for Durcan they may have gone in 6-10 points at the break but that's sport , they abandoned their discipline in the 2nd half , tackling was half hearted . It reminded me of the pattern our game against Cork took in 2012 when Cork long range shooting dried up and they're was. seemingly no plan B.

In fairness the media hype and bookies odds went against them and put some fire in our bellies much like it did for  Mayo when they  beat them in 2012 semi. Still its hard to blame Dublin for that as that's not their fault obviously. Gavin , from the evidence of the first 25 mins prob wasn't counting on a turnaround and still at halftime would have backed his man to man system to prevail.

Mike Sheehy

Donegal were very impressive. Even more so because I think Dublin played well for most of the game. Connolly was excellent as was MDMA. Kamikze defending in the second half though. It looks like they had a deliberate policy to push up against Donegal instead of falling back when they lost possession. Anytime Donegal managed to get past halfway in that scenario a goal was on and they were fairly clinical in taking advantage. That Ryan McHugh will take some watching. McFaddens confidence will also be sky high now which is bad news for us. I fear for our fullback line against him and Murphy.

INDIANA

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 31, 2014, 06:59:54 PM
Donegal were very impressive. Even more so because I think Dublin played well for most of the game. Connolly was excellent as was MDMA. Kamikze defending in the second half though. It looks like they had a deliberate policy to push up against Donegal instead of falling back when they lost possession. Anytime Donegal managed to get past halfway in that scenario a goal was on and they were fairly clinical in taking advantage. That Ryan McHugh will take some watching. McFaddens confidence will also be sky high now which is bad news for us. I fear for our fullback line against him and Murphy.

We had a full court press for the whole game Mike. In other words we pushed up everywhere on their kickouts. Which is fine when you're winning the kick-outs but a disaster when you don't

Dublin's weakness has always been midfield and today it was exposed. Dublin needed to win ugly today and didn't do it as we've only played the one style of football for two years.

I'm not going to start hammering the management over one game. It was  a bad game to lose but that's sport. We came up against a better side today and we've no complaints.

Donegal got the balance between defence and attack correct today. I've slated them in the past for being too negative but I've no issues with the way they played today. That was terrific.

Will be a great final. Kerry are better setup to deal with Donegal though and I think its too tight to call

Hardy

How I hate the term "full court press".

I was also listening to Newstalk there and this shite was coming thick and fast. Along with "first phase possession". Christ!

Rudi

Great performance from Donegal. Played a nice brand of counter attacking football. Ryan McHugh the star. Fair play to Jimmy some man for one man.