Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2014, 09:24:18 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 12, 2014, 08:48:50 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2014, 08:39:52 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 12, 2014, 08:02:04 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 12, 2014, 03:30:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 12, 2014, 01:36:24 PM
Apparently Lacey did his hamstring early in the Armagh game and is possibly a doubt for the semi. Thought he was less dominant than usual against Armagh, but hopefully he makes it back to full fitness.  We are up against it either way, but we can't afford to be without him!

He has 3 weeks to be fit & I'd say he'll be fine.

Some man to play 70 mins against Armagh with a dodgy hamstring though. Hate to think where we would be if he had done real damage.
If he had done his hamstring early in the game, he would have had to come off or be carried off at some stage. Don't believe a word of mcguinness. Next rumour will be Michael Murphy gets hurt in training, making him a doubt, but against the odds both will start the game against Dublin and finish it as well (unless they pick up an actual injury in the game) and this mysterious knocks will be forgotten

This is exactly why you've gotta love McGuinness. Clearly a load of bull about Lacey, impossible to play 70 mins with hamstring trouble if it happened early in the game. I'd expect McGuinness to engage in serious mind games in the lead up to this game. The build up will involve mud slinging, it even started before the quarter final with Devenney predicting a Donegal win over Dublin. McGuinness is not afraid to do whatever it takes to win this game, no matter what anyone thinks. I'd expect a fiercely physical encounter with Donegal ready for war. If McGuinness pulls off a win he will go down as Donegals greatest manager and deserves to be put up there with Boylan and Harte.

In fairness McGuinness and co tried this bull last year with McHugh (and the hole in his muscle the size of a small country). (T)He(y) tried to label Mayo as Conspirators with Monaghan. He called us a cynical team. He played the world is against us card and the whole thing back fired emphatically. I doubt some how he will go to far down that road again.

I agree that it backfired but Donegal weren't such huge underdogs last year against Mayo and their aura had slipped after Monaghan beat them into submission. After that defeat they looked demoralised, as though the 2seasons on the road had taken a huge mental and physical toll on them. This time I think it will be different. To have any chance they need to engage Dublin physically, turn it into a dogfight and break Dublins resolve. Without playing at the manic intensity they displayed in 2011/12 they have no chance. McGuinness is qualified enough in psychology to know how to hit the right buttons and if he hadn't engaged in psychological warfare before the Mayo game last year then they still would have got pummelled anyway. It's what he knows best and as a neutral I'm looking forward to it.

I'd say there is zero chance of a Dublin being in anyway affected by any 'mind games' and it having any effect on the outcome of the game.

It's hardly a surprise that McGuinness will 'do anything' to win a game to anyone who has witnessed him in his managerial career to date either

Farrandeelin

Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2014, 09:05:25 PM
Has  Joe McQuillan got this game? (unbelievable)

Yes, the boul' Joe has indeed got this game.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 12, 2014, 11:01:41 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 12, 2014, 09:05:25 PM
Has  Joe McQuillan got this game? (unbelievable)

Yes, the boul' Joe has indeed got this game.

I'd say the Dubs will be more than happy with this appointment. He is to the Dubs what Howard Webb was to Man Utd. More psychological ammunition for McGuinness.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: dublin7 on August 12, 2014, 09:02:04 PM
Jim Gavin is too smart to fall for this rubbish. He doesn't even bother with any of these "mind games". Picks his team does his obligitary press conference and  goes out to play the game. Pity McGuinness can't do the same. Will he be confiscating the player's phones for the next 3 weeks so no reporter can ask about the "alledged  injury" :-X

I would go back to taking the paranoia tablets if I were you. The thought that McGuinness would reckon that Gavin would be spooked by this is laughable. 
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BluestackBoy

Apparently Lacey did his hamstring early in the Armagh game and is possibly a doubt for the semi. Thought he was less dominant than usual against Armagh, but hopefully he makes it back to full fitness.  We are up against it either way, but we can't afford to be without him!

Some man to play 70 mins against Armagh with a dodgy hamstring though. Hate to think where we would be if he had done real damage.
If he had done his hamstring early in the game, he would have had to come off or be carried off at some stage. Don't believe a word of mcguinness. Next rumour will be Michael Murphy gets hurt in training, making him a doubt, but against the odds both will start the game against Dublin and finish it as well (unless they pick up an actual injury in the game) and this mysterious knocks will be forgotten

This is exactly why you've gotta love McGuinness. Clearly a load of bull about Lacey, impossible to play 70 mins with hamstring trouble if it happened early in the game. I'd expect McGuinness to engage in serious mind games in the lead up to this game. The build up will involve mud slinging, it even started before the quarter final with Devenney predicting a Donegal win over Dublin. McGuinness is not afraid to do whatever it takes to win this game, no matter what anyone thinks. I'd expect a fiercely physical encounter with Donegal ready for war. If McGuinness pulls off a win he will go down as Donegals greatest manager and deserves to be put up there with Boylan and Harte.

How, in the name of God, is Devenny predicting a Donegal win "mudslinging"?  Does the same apply to anyone predicting a Dublin win?
Give me strength. It is going to be a long couple of weeks............
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Quote from: heffo on August 12, 2014, 10:21:10 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2014, 09:24:18 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 12, 2014, 08:48:50 PM

In fairness McGuinness and co tried this bull last year with McHugh (and the hole in his muscle the size of a small country). (T)He(y) tried to label Mayo as Conspirators with Monaghan. He called us a cynical team. He played the world is against us card and the whole thing back fired emphatically. I doubt some how he will go to far down that road again.

I agree that it backfired but Donegal weren't such huge underdogs last year against Mayo and their aura had slipped after Monaghan beat them into submission. After that defeat they looked demoralised, as though the 2seasons on the road had taken a huge mental and physical toll on them. This time I think it will be different. To have any chance they need to engage Dublin physically, turn it into a dogfight and break Dublins resolve. Without playing at the manic intensity they displayed in 2011/12 they have no chance. McGuinness is qualified enough in psychology to know how to hit the right buttons and if he hadn't engaged in psychological warfare before the Mayo game last year then they still would have got pummelled anyway. It's what he knows best and as a neutral I'm looking forward to it.

I'd say there is zero chance of a Dublin being in anyway affected by any 'mind games' and it having any effect on the outcome of the game.

It's hardly a surprise that McGuinness will 'do anything' to win a game to anyone who has witnessed him in his managerial career to date either

What does that even mean?

J70

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 12, 2014, 11:41:14 PM

How, in the name of God, is Devenny predicting a Donegal win "mudslinging"?  Does the same apply to anyone predicting a Dublin win?

Apparently answering a journalist's question is "mudslinging".

sam03/05

Why do Donegal tell the world that Karl Lacey is injured?, they tell us this before every big game, then guess what he plays. Becoming quite boring now!

imtommygunn

He hasn't been properly fit in about 2 years though which has been a large factor in why Donegal aren't as strong as they were.

yellowcard

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 12, 2014, 11:41:14 PM

Mud slinging is probably the wrong phrase in this instance but the point is that this match up has been the focus of Donegal's attention since they won the AI title in 2012. It has probably come a year later than they would have hoped but they have arrived at the point where they have the opportunity to get revenge for the defeat to Dublin in 2011 and the unpunished bite on McBrearty in the League campaign of last year. Donegal have lost 3 championship games under McGuinness and if they win the AI they could well have avenged each of those 3 defeats.

I also think that Dublin supporters are over estimating the level of neutral support they have for this one. Every small county that has to fight for resources and make do with a fraction of the level of support that they have will be rooting for Donegal. Its a David v Goliath clash and it will give a bit of hope to every other county if Dublin can be toppled by Donegal. Yes, Dublin play more attacking football but this sanctimonious bullshit that they play football in the proper manner is totally exaggerated. If you need any proof watch the last 10 minutes of last years AI final and plenty of other big games they have been involved in the last few years. They have the resources and population to play in a more attacking manner than most and their sheer strength of numbers has allowed them to replace injured players with replacements who are equally as good (Kilkenny is barely even mentioned now). Donegal play the way they do (which I  am not a fan of) because it is the only way they have a chance of winning. They simply do not have the resources, strength in depth or quality of player that Dublin do. Same applies for every other county as well to varying extents. If there is any manager I'd trust in this situation to maximise his resources and convince his players that his plan will see them to victory then its Jim McGuinness.     

highorlow

QuoteIf McGuinness pulls off a win he will go down as Donegals the greatest manager
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

Quote from: yellowcard on August 13, 2014, 10:38:25 AM

I also think that Dublin supporters are over estimating the level of neutral support they have for this one. Every small county that has to fight for resources and make do with a fraction of the level of support that they have will be rooting for Donegal. Its a David v Goliath clash and it will give a bit of hope to every other county if Dublin can be toppled by Donegal. Yes, Dublin play more attacking football but this sanctimonious bullshit that they play football in the proper manner is totally exaggerated. If you need any proof watch the last 10 minutes of last years AI final and plenty of other big games they have been involved in the last few years. They have the resources and population to play in a more attacking manner than most and their sheer strength of numbers has allowed them to replace injured players with replacements who are equally as good (Kilkenny is barely even mentioned now). Donegal play the way they do (which I  am not a fan of) because it is the only way they have a chance of winning. They simply do not have the resources, strength in depth or quality of player that Dublin do.

Excellent sensible post.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Just to be clear

We don't seek not require any support from any other county yellow card. I certainly wouldn't want your support. You can stick it up your arse as far as I'm concerned.

INDIANA

Quote from: BluestackBoy on August 12, 2014, 03:27:33 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 12, 2014, 08:52:52 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on August 12, 2014, 06:29:23 AM
What's this talk of finances all about?

I think it's to do with the foreign training camp Donegal had. How can the rest of us compete with that?

It's to do with the millions Dublin have spent on a yoga centre of excellence.

Not to mention the 10 million euros Tyrone spent on theirs.

J OGorman

maybe best for the Dubs to enjoy this trip rather than bite at every post you are not happy with