Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

AZOffaly

Quote from: joemamas on September 02, 2014, 02:33:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 02:20:21 PM
I'm not saying he had a good game, I'm saying it's natural for his county board to defend him when they feel he is getting a raw deal on TV from a man who probably felt as sore as the rest of Mayo did. Kevin McStay is hardly objective in this situation.

We've had people insinuating Reilly had some sort of ulterior motive for wanting Kerry to beat Mayo, and even referring to where his wife is from. It's getting ludicrous.

The last ref that reff'ed Mayo was hung out to dry by the CCCC and now this lad is being questioned on the Sunday Game by a Mayo Man!

Who'd bother their arse being a ref?

A few points, I stand to be corrected, but I believe the linesman who made the call on Lee Keegan was yours truly.
I have refereed a fair amount of games in my lifetime, aside from not being baized, I always tried to ensure that I did not make an incorrect decision that would cost some team the game.

FFS you could argue Reilly made 5 or 6 of these. In addition, what about his incompetent band of helpers, could neither of the umpires have brought to his attention both of Shane Enrights offences that would have led to his dismissal, they were only 3 to 6 yards away from both instances. same for call on one of Kerry penalties.

I am still too upset and depressed, so will sign off on this note.

joe, no offence and I'm not trying to stick the boot in because it's obviously very raw still, but I don't believe Reilly deliberately made bad calls to cost Mayo the game. I think even insinuating that is bad. I'm sure every ref goes out ensuring they "did not make an incorrect decision that would cost some team the game."

I understand the frustration when you think you've been done, but to be honest I'm not so sure it was as bad a doing as some are making it out to be.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2014, 02:31:56 PM
I'm not saying he had a good game, I'm saying it's natural for his county board to defend him when they feel he is getting a raw deal on TV from a man who probably felt as sore as the rest of Mayo did. Kevin McStay is hardly objective in this situation.

We've had people insinuating Reilly had some sort of ulterior motive for wanting Kerry to beat Mayo, and even referring to where his wife is from. It's getting ludicrous.

The last ref that reff'ed Mayo was hung out to dry by the CCCC and now this lad is being questioned on the Sunday Game by a Mayo Man!

Can't remember many county boards going to bat for their man because he had a woeful performance. McStay may not be objective but he is less biased than the Trimmers coming out with that sort of defensive stuff.

I really don't see what county he's from having anything to do with it (Coldrick gets it in the neck plenty, where were they then? I never heard the Sligo board defend the Duffys, maybe because they're indefensible..) so I'm at a loss why they thought it was appropriate to stick their oars into the situation. Referees get criticised. Big whoop.

I have heard county boards in the past stick up for their refs if they felt it was necessary. Remember 1) the ref is representing the county and 2) If he quits the county loses a ref. Refs being criticised happens all the time, yes. But men with a vested interest being given a platform to air their grievances unopposed does not happen, and if Meath felt it necessary to respond, then fair play to them for defending one of their members.

whitey

AZ.....even the posters on Reservoirdubs said Mayo got fvcked....they sure aint Mayo fans

The Commentators. on the Sunday Game...notably a Meath and Galway man said during the game that the ref was heavily favoring Kerry and criticized and questioned many of his calls.

When it suits,  Reillys supporters say he applied the letter of the law....but at other times the letter of the law was thrown out the window.....Eg BJK taking the free from almost in front of the posts for the "foul on Donaghy"  LOL Reilly looks like he gets a fright when he sees him behind him.....whats the letter of the law on taking a free from the wrong spot....it used to be a hop ball

It wasnt one or two decisions....it was 5/6 decisions at critical parts of the game

Often bad referees are bad for both sides.....not the case on Saturday

AZOffaly

Fair enough. As I said, I never said he had a good game. I'm just saying that the criticism of him has been over the top, and I can understand why Meath would react that way.

sin é

Keyser soze

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 02, 2014, 02:33:30 PM
The ref didn't cost Mayo the game, Mayo were destroyed in the second half of extra time and should have been well beaten in normal time. He didn't have a great game but he made mistakes that cost both Kerry and Mayo. All penalty decisions were correct, the frees awarded to Donaghy were also correct. If you watch the replays you can clearly see Keane pulling him back.
Keane was obviously told that he had to be physical, he got too distracted by this thought and never concentrated on the ball. Mayo are short a few to win an All Ireland. Obviously they need a couple of extra top level forwards, a full back and they need some more pace around the middle. They might be able to find a few to cover these positions but then they've got the problem in their heads to overcome. That will be the hardest part of all to resolve.

Your hoop chap.

There were loads of instances in this game where the man in possession was surrounded by 3 or 4 players all touching/holding/pulling/slapping him. These invariably resulted in a free out for overcarrying. Yet Kerry recieved a number of frees within easy scoring distance where there was minimal [if any] contact between 2 players. Bizarre and baffling  refereeing, though Reilly is by no means the only culprit in this regard. Unsurprising to see u agreeing with it therefore.

seafoid

Is there a word to describe the sadness in Mayo in late summer when the quest for Sam has been abandoned ?

Istanbul has hüzün.
http://gabriellereeves.com/section/313335_H_z_n.html

Lar Naparka

Come off it , AZ.
Do you know the old saying, " If you live by the sword, so you die by the sword?"David Coldrick sent Lee Keegan off for an infraction of the rules.  I thought it was an extremely harsh decision but you gotta play by the rules, okay?
He got sent off on a technicality.
Coldrick in turn failed to cite the appropriate rule when he submitted his report and Keegan had his red card rescinded.
That was according to rule, wasn't it? So what's the problem about Coldrick being hung out to dry by the CCCC?
It simply did not happen.
The CCCC applied the rules, as Coldrick did when sending Keegan off. If he made a mistake, it was his and his alone so shag the sympathy for the hoor.
The Mayo  man you mention might not be "hardly objective in this situation" but he didn't have to be to prove his case.
He presented compelling video evidence to back his case  and nobody including you (thick Offaly hoor) have so far denied the substance of his charges.
Cormac Reilly was a consenting adult when he took the gig. He knew the what consequences would be if he made a donkey's haemes out of it and so he did in style.
If Kerry had lost the game, there'd be assloads of yerras coming from the Kingdom because they''d have cause to moan about some of his decisions too. In a sense he was being perfectly objective, he made bad calls against them also.
Both teams and their followers had every right to expect a competent performance from the individual who voluntarily agreed to blow the whistle.
I'm afraid neither got what they expected. So what's the problem with objective criticism?
Apart from all that, you are an other wise sound bloke and good for the oul' laugh from time to time. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mano

The ref didn't cost Mayo the game, Mayo were destroyed in the second half of extra time and should have been well beaten in normal time. He didn't have a great game but he made mistakes that cost both Kerry and Mayo. All penalty decisions were correct, the frees awarded to Donaghy were also correct. If you watch the replays you can clearly see Keane pulling him back.
Keane was obviously told that he had to be physical, he got too distracted by this thought and never concentrated on the ball. Mayo are short a few to win an All Ireland. Obviously they need a couple of extra top level forwards, a full back and they need some more pace around the middle. They might be able to find a few to cover these positions but then they've got the problem in their heads to overcome. That will be the hardest part of all to resolve.
Welcome Cormac Reilly to the board

AZOffaly

Thick Offaly Hoor? Nice. That's the last time we'll send someone like Sean Lowry up to ye.

Crete Boom

Lad and Lassies the ref had a terrible game and yeah unfortunately a string of bad decisions went against us at bad times but this was just bad luck as on another day these decisions could all have gone for us. I am not in any way defending Cormac Reilly as he a a very poor game from the off ( this wasn't a case of missing a couple of key decisions) but he made a string of bad/questionable calls that generally fell in our favour in the quarter final so until the standard of reffing , rules and appeals process is greatly improved counties are going to be affected ( Louth 2010 , Kildare 2010 and the q/final 2011)!!

I would like us as a county to realise though that overall Kerry were better than us and we couldn't deal with what was within our control i.e the long ball to Donaghy and being wiped out in midfield. Kerry challenged us in these two specific areas and we didn't have any credible answers so fair play to them , good luck in the final and I look forward to having a right good battle down in Kerry next spring.

Msgr. Horan

complete and utter horseshite.
under the rules of the game, Shane Enright should not have been on the field after 16 minutes, theres no ifs and or buts about that. With 14 men for what would have been 60 minutes Kerry would not have won. Mayo would have been miles on the scoreboard after the penalty with a numerical advantage and would have driven on. you can point to what Mayo did the week before but history shows that kind of performance is not really possible for longer than about 30 minutes. Mayo were also lucky the week before that Keegan was sent off just before half time. 20 minutes earlier than that, and I suggest kerry would almost have been out of sight at half time in the first game. With that decision the referee cost Mayo the game because not only did it not give Mayo the numerical advantage Enrights actions deserved it also sent the signal "you can do what the f**k you like" and they did. Dress it up any other way you like but that is exactly what happened.

Fact is the narrative all changes because of the result, if Rob Hennelley's kick had gone over then most of the positives written about Kerry would have been negatives (with the probable exception of David Morans performance which was top class) and vice versa.

Rossfan

Quote from: whitey on September 02, 2014, 01:17:31 PM
But what does the actual rule say?  Is there a limit on how long a blood sub can stay off?

(Mayo folk arent too interested in Reillys "interpretation" of the rules.  He found a way to "interpret" some pretty black and white ones to our cost on Saturday)
Rule 1.5(b) Rules of control

(b) Injuries: Blood - A player who is bleeding
or who has blood on any part of his body,
playing attire or playing equipment, as a result
of an injury sustained during play, shall on
the instruction of the Referee, immediately
leave the field of play to receive medical and/
or other attention. He shall not be allowed to
return to the field of play until the bleeding
has stopped, all blood has been cleaned off
and, where possible, the injured area has
been covered, any blood-stained playing attire
has been replaced and any blood-stained
equipment has been fully cleaned. In that
circumstance, a Temporary Substitute may be
used, and the following acts shall not count as
substitutions under Rule 2.4 (i) and (ii), Rules
of Specification.
(1) The use of the Temporary Substitute
for a player instructed to leave the field
under the Rule.
(2) The return to the field of play of the
injured (blood) player as a direct
replacement for the Temporary
Substitute.
(3) The return to the field of play of the
injured (blood) player as a replacement
for any other player if the Temporary
Substitute has previously been sent off
or substituted.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

QuotevColdrick in turn failed to cite the appropriate rule when he submitted his report and Keegan had his red card rescinded.
That was according to rule, wasn't it? So what's the problem about Coldrick being hung out to dry by the CCCC?
It simply did not happen.

What is the wording of the rule? 

Does it specifically define the offence?

I thought it Rule XYZ was for "striking or attempting to strike".  As long as he said "as per Rule XYZ" it should have stood.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

screenexile

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on September 02, 2014, 03:23:11 PM
complete and utter horseshite.
under the rules of the game, Shane Enright should not have been on the field after 16 minutes, theres no ifs and or buts about that. With 14 men for what would have been 60 minutes Kerry would not have won. Mayo would have been miles on the scoreboard after the penalty with a numerical advantage and would have driven on. you can point to what Mayo did the week before but history shows that kind of performance is not really possible for longer than about 30 minutes. Mayo were also lucky the week before that Keegan was sent off just before half time. 20 minutes earlier than that, and I suggest kerry would almost have been out of sight at half time in the first game. With that decision the referee cost Mayo the game because not only did it not give Mayo the numerical advantage Enrights actions deserved it also sent the signal "you can do what the f**k you like" and they did. Dress it up any other way you like but that is exactly what happened.

Fact is the narrative all changes because of the result, if Rob Hennelley's kick had gone over then most of the positives written about Kerry would have been negatives (with the probable exception of David Morans performance which was top class) and vice versa.

What's to say Mayo would have won with Kerry at 14 men? Kerry had the man advantage last week and they didn't win. Mayo had a man advantage against Derry in the NL Semi Final and lost that game.

Lads the slagging of the referee is getting out of hand at this stage and looks ridiculous especially with the pictures of Reilly running for the Changing Room and the Garda lying prostrate surrounded by Mayo 'supportes'! Show me a man that hasn't been wronged by a referee at some stage and I'll show you the man who doesn't exist. Reilly had a tough task on Saturday and he didn't perform well but all this talk of bias and his wife being from Kerry is nonsense.

As Shannon mentioned in his article Horan always preached that you take charge of the things you have control of and the referee is not one of those. Mayo did not perform well enough with the things they could control so they lost!!