Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Jinxy

Quote from: highorlow on September 01, 2014, 10:11:54 PM
Jinxy, I'm just going on what I read on the article in the examiner. Maybe your right but you would presume your county man would have explained it to our sideline?

I can't link the piece as I'm on a phone here. Google it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-gaa-stars-suffered-facial-injuries-and-not-concussion-says-team-doctor-30555498.html

They were kept off the field so that the team doctor could rule out concussion.
The blood sub rule is designed to protect other players as much as the individual that was injured.
The objective is to stop the bleeding and remove any blood-stained gear.
Don't forget, the clash of heads happened before half-time.
At some point the referee has to decide that so much time has elapsed since the initial injury that a replacement can no longer be considered a blood sub.
Reilly was completely correct in this instance.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

whitey

But what does the actual rule say?  Is there a limit on how long a blood sub can stay off?

(Mayo folk arent too interested in Reillys "interpretation" of the rules.  He found a way to "interpret" some pretty black and white ones to our cost on Saturday)

whitey

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2014, 01:16:37 PM
Meath take exception to criticism of referee Reilly

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=223597

So who is he saying had the agenda.....McStay or Reilly.  I might be crazed at this point but the way it reads to me is that hes saying Reilly had the agenda

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2014, 01:16:37 PM
Meath take exception to criticism of referee Reilly

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=223597

Jaysus

"'Maybe he had another agenda," O'Halloran suggested, continuing "but tonight I am standing up for our man, our Meath official."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBirf4BWew

The old parochialism never died

AZOffaly

In fairness, they have to. Cormac Reilly is representing Meath as a referee. If they feel he is being hard done by, especially from a Mayo man, on National TV, then I think they are right to back him.

highorlow

QuoteIn fairness, they have to. Cormac Reilly is representing Meath as a referee. If they feel he is being hard done by, especially from a Mayo man, on National TV, then I think they are right to back him.

Well then, the criticism and not been able to take it is another basic requirement that Reilly has failed in.

The basic requirements of a referee are:
A thorough knowledge of the rules, - Reilly fails on this, as KMcStay said the other night the pictures don't lie
Be physically and mentally fit, - He lost control at an early stage of the game therefore, almost fails this requirement
Deal courteously with players and officials,- can't comment on this
Have the ability to remain calm
Operate strictly in accordance with the principles of justice and fair play,- fails
Have the moral courage to take decisions which are correct,- fails
Be able to live with unfair criticism,- fails
Be able to accept constructive criticism, -fails
Retain a good learning graph, -fails
Be alert and decisive on the field, -fails
Enjoy refereeing, he probably enjoys the power, -pass
Be committed to the protection of players and the prevention of abusive or violent conduct
Be a good communicator on and off the field,- fails, never consulted linesmen or umpires all day
At all times be well presented
Behave with dignity both on and off the field
Have a sense of humour and the ability to smile; while these qualities are not requirements they are great assets
Above all things else, retain integrity, consistency and uniformity

He is not up to the task. He should resign.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 01:22:23 PM
In fairness, they have to. Cormac Reilly is representing Meath as a referee. If they feel he is being hard done by, especially from a Mayo man, on National TV, then I think they are right to back him.
There was a thing in the paper a while ago about Turkey and corruption/ineptitude  under Erdogan and they interviewed someone from his village who said it was all lies, that Erdogan would never do such a thing  . The same shite everywhere. 

The ref was poor, in fairness

joemamas

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 01:56:53 PM
Lads, ye are losing the run of yerselves.
AZ,

I generally agree with most of your points, but the bottom line is that Cormac Reilly poor decisions and poor rules interpretations most likely cost this bunch of incredibly dedicated footballers a chance to contest an all-Ireland final.
Hence the anger and frustration that will not go away easily

No excusing or hiding from that fact.

To me he is and has been an incompetent referee.
On a personal level, I do not know him, nor do I ever care to.

AZOffaly

I'm not saying he had a good game, I'm saying it's natural for his county board to defend him when they feel he is getting a raw deal on TV from a man who probably felt as sore as the rest of Mayo did. Kevin McStay is hardly objective in this situation.

We've had people insinuating Reilly had some sort of ulterior motive for wanting Kerry to beat Mayo, and even referring to where his wife is from. It's getting ludicrous.

The last ref that reff'ed Mayo was hung out to dry by the CCCC and now this lad is being questioned on the Sunday Game by a Mayo Man!

Who'd bother their arse being a ref?

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 02:20:21 PM
I'm not saying he had a good game, I'm saying it's natural for his county board to defend him when they feel he is getting a raw deal on TV from a man who probably felt as sore as the rest of Mayo did. Kevin McStay is hardly objective in this situation.

We've had people insinuating Reilly had some sort of ulterior motive for wanting Kerry to beat Mayo, and even referring to where his wife is from. It's getting ludicrous.

The last ref that reff'ed Mayo was hung out to dry by the CCCC and now this lad is being questioned on the Sunday Game by a Mayo Man!

Can't remember many county boards going to bat for their man because he had a woeful performance. McStay may not be objective but he is less biased than the Trimmers coming out with that sort of defensive stuff.

I really don't see what county he's from having anything to do with it (Coldrick gets it in the neck plenty, where were they then? I never heard the Sligo board defend the Duffys, maybe because they're indefensible..) so I'm at a loss why they thought it was appropriate to stick their oars into the situation. Referees get criticised. Big whoop.

joemamas

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 02:20:21 PM

A few points, I stand to be corrected, but I believe the linesman who made the call on Lee Keegan was yours truly.
I have refereed a fair amount of games in my lifetime, aside from not being baized, I always tried to ensure that I did not make an incorrect decision that would cost some team the game.

FFS you could argue Reilly made 5 or 6 of these. In addition, what about his incompetent band of helpers, could neither of the umpires have brought to his attention both of Shane Enrights offences that would have led to his dismissal, they were only 3 to 6 yards away from both instances. same for call on one of Kerry penalties.

I am still too upset and depressed, so will sign off on this note.

Dont Matter

The ref didn't cost Mayo the game, Mayo were destroyed in the second half of extra time and should have been well beaten in normal time. He didn't have a great game but he made mistakes that cost both Kerry and Mayo. All penalty decisions were correct, the frees awarded to Donaghy were also correct. If you watch the replays you can clearly see Keane pulling him back.
Keane was obviously told that he had to be physical, he got too distracted by this thought and never concentrated on the ball. Mayo are short a few to win an All Ireland. Obviously they need a couple of extra top level forwards, a full back and they need some more pace around the middle. They might be able to find a few to cover these positions but then they've got the problem in their heads to overcome. That will be the hardest part of all to resolve.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

AZOffaly

Oh Shite. Don't Matter is on the same wavelength as me.