Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

It is quite clear from listening to this match and a few others this year that Tommy Carr does not know the new rules (and probably some of the old ones) which you would think would rule him out of being a pundit. For the last black card which was absolutely a stone wall black card he started muttering about how the ref was going to give a yellow. When Barry John Keane got advantage, shot and missed and the ball was brought back Tommy was unsure if this was the rule - Yes, Tommy that is the rule. My favourite though was when Mayo were 6 points up and there was a potential black card that should have went to a Kerry player, Tommy said it didn't matter as it was academic because you can bring on a sub!! When we saw Aidan O Shea on the sideline, his legs up on a bench and a doctor working on his head minutes after he went off with blood pouring down his face, Tommy was very informative telling us that it was not a leg injury as his legs were up on the bench - comedy gold.

Seriously, who decided this guy should be let on the TV or radio and was it him that picked the MOM?

When you hear this craic, it make me wonder who the hell hired him to manage so many teams, including Cavan.

armaghniac

In fairness to Carr, who I don't think is great, for the last incident he said the ref would give a yellow, not that he should. That is fair comment.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

I tell you what need added to a black card category, the 3rd/4th man entering into a fracas whether to spilt up or to add to the problem should be seeing the bench, it would automatically cut these rows out by 50%

Lar Naparka

Quote from: hardstation on August 31, 2014, 12:30:03 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on August 31, 2014, 12:23:03 PM
Should Donehy not have received a Black Card at the end when the ball had to weaseled from him?  Wouldn't have changed the  result but I thought that this was now a Black Card offence.
Is it a deliberate trip, body collide, pull down?
Abusive or provocative language to other players?
Remonstrating aggressively with match officials?

If not, it's not a black card.

It is, however, very annoying and cynical shite and something he should get put off for.
+1
Fair comment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

NetNitrate

Quote from: ardtole on August 31, 2014, 12:18:57 PM
Id have to differ DH, when mayo eent two ahead in ET they had huge momentum, dealt with both kerry attacks, only to penalised unfairly by two ridiculous decisions. If they had to have had continued with play Mayo could have set up a counter attack on both occassions, never mind the huge lift it would have given the whole team to turn the ball over twice in quick succession, when its just ten mins each way it was hugely signifigant.

First of all Donaghy had actually won the ball in a dangerous position for the first free so there was no turn over or counter attack on for Mayo. Besides when Donaghy was running out for the ball you could see Keane grab his arm, so technically I thought this was a foul before they both contested the ball. I thought the next one was very soft but on slow viewing Boyle clearly knees him in the chest and the ref to be fair was standing right in front of this. The griping about this is over done. Mayo have benefited from a lot of easy frees in this championship. The better team won overall but credit Mayo for an amazing never say die attitude. There was nothing left in the tank in the end and Kerry had players who could take their scores with a little more ease. Think Horan should have gave it another year as he still has a great panel to work with but the time spent was obviously immense over the last 4 years.

5 Sams

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 31, 2014, 01:41:34 PM
It is quite clear from listening to this match and a few others this year that Tommy Carr does not know the new rules (and probably some of the old ones) which you would think would rule him out of being a pundit. For the last black card which was absolutely a stone wall black card he started muttering about how the ref was going to give a yellow. When Barry John Keane got advantage, shot and missed and the ball was brought back Tommy was unsure if this was the rule - Yes, Tommy that is the rule. My favourite though was when Mayo were 6 points up and there was a potential black card that should have went to a Kerry player, Tommy said it didn't matter as it was academic because you can bring on a sub!! When we saw Aidan O Shea on the sideline, his legs up on a bench and a doctor working on his head minutes after he went off with blood pouring down his face, Tommy was very informative telling us that it was not a leg injury as his legs were up on the bench - comedy gold.

Seriously, who decided this guy should be let on the TV or radio and was it him that picked the MOM?

When you hear this craic, it make me wonder who the hell hired him to manage so many teams, including Cavan.

I just ignore the clown now Myles. It probably was him that picked MOM as it was clear to everyone with a modicum of knowledge of the game that David Moran was head and shoulders above everyone on the field.
The Aristocrat Years

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ballinaman on August 31, 2014, 12:54:20 PM
Anyone get a program yesterday?

Who was 26 for Kerry? Threw Aidan O'Sheas boot into the crowd after the messing at the end.

The program names Pa Kilkenny, of Glenbeigh/Glencar, as Kerry's 26.

Hardy

Quote from: Clinker on August 31, 2014, 12:40:40 PM
Slow motion from the terrace and easier to view on full screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzfiKPoppxw

Psycho de Mayo!

But when is this shite going to be stopped? Will those clowns from the crowd be prosecuted like the Louth hooligans of 2010? Or will nothing happen just because the lads in the studio didn't mention it? That seems to be the criterion. Where else would the fat clown not only not be arrested, but get shown back to the terrace by a steward like an usher in a cinema?

Hardy

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 31, 2014, 02:16:25 PM

I just ignore the clown now Myles. It probably was him that picked MOM as it was clear to everyone with a modicum of knowledge of the game that David Moran was head and shoulders above everyone on the field.

Moran was fantastic. But, as Mike Sheehy and others have pointed out, the duel between Higgins and O'Donoghoe was the most entertaining sport of the year so far for me. Absolutely riveting and a reminder that Gaelic football was originally conceived as a series of man-on-man contests.

mrdeeds

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 31, 2014, 02:16:25 PM

When the game was two minutes over and a draw Tommy Truck said that a point would  probably win it. Very insightful. Just one example of stupid things he came out with. An absolute joke that the tv licence gives him a wage after the worst piece of co commentary I ever heard.
And how Moran didn't  get motm I don't know.

muppet

The annual torture is over till next year thankfully.

Firstly, the ref.

He was atrocious but Kerry adapted to him far better than we did. He gaves frees to anyone that looked for one. But he never considered the persistent fouling. So while we tackled with a turnover in mind, sometimes risking a free, Kerry simply conceeded the free to stop our running game.

So with a running game ruled out by the ref, the only solution was the long and/or high ball. We didn't play it and never dealt with Kerry playing it.

David Moran gave an absolutely tremendous performance. Only Tom Parsons made any positive impact for us in the middle. The collision between AOS and COC was a disaster for us, to have to play without both when we had them under the cosh was very significant. And I think COC had scored something like 2-4 at that stage and hardly scored again. He looked concussed to me and his fumble in extra time was totally uncharacteristic.

The battle between Higgins and O'Donoghue was a game worth watching in its own right. Two magnificent players going at it, fairly, for the whole saga was worth any entrance fee, or trip to Limerick.

Well done Kerry, their game winning know-how got them over the line in the end. And their ability to play to a crap refereeing performance as against our failure to deal with it, was very significant. This last point will close the obvious playing gap between them and Dublin <edit: eh Donegal> and should not be underestimated.
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

Quote from: tyroneman on August 31, 2014, 09:30:53 AM
So which is it....

A) Kerry were the better team overall and deserved to win, despite the referee giving them a few handy frees
B) Kerry were clearly second best and the referee outrageously robbed Mayo
C) Both teams were pretty evenly matched and the referee possibly helped Kerry shade it with 1 or 2 debatable calls.

A the answer.

Syferus

This makes it even worse for Mayo. Ye had the belief to beat Donegal. Donegal going for immortality and Mayo left to take stock. Fine margins.

whitey

Clarification of advantage rule

Take a player running towards goal who is within shooting distance and he is being fouled but manages to get away from the offender. The referee raises his hand in the air and allows the player five seconds.

If the five seconds elapses and the player shoots and misses, his advantage was over and play should not be brought back. However, if he shoots and misses within the five seconds play can be brought back for the appropriate foul.

So it "can" be  called back not "must" be called back.Common sense (and dare I say fair play) would dictate that if the attacker  then has an Unimpeded shot at goals and misses, the shot should be called wide.

Did Reilly raise his arm to indicate the was playing the advantage-I don't recall him doing so

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go