Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mano

Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on August 30, 2014, 08:51:47 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 30, 2014, 08:43:27 PM
On a realistic level if Mayo are to win an AI soon it won't be with a Mayo manager.

It needs to be from a county who knows how to win AI's

Not sure if that would change their fortune. A very decent squad of players but too many cameo type players this year. Likes of Moran & Dillon (and a few others). Fine players but in big matches today you have to contribute all the time you are on the pitch. One forward scoring in a half of football in a semi final is not good enough.  If they could do what Kerry did and unearth a couple of pacey young forwards to give some new dimension it would make a difference.

Still thought they were unlucky today. Some tough calls against them.

Horan has stayed too loyal to same players over last 4 years. There are better forwards in particular in Mayo, Coen, Regan, Sweeney, Kilcoyne but they have not had a look in. The banished Michael Jackson fan even can kick a score. The emphasis for Horan seems to be work rate rather than the ability to take a score.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 30, 2014, 09:02:10 PM
Quote from: maigheo on August 30, 2014, 08:51:22 PM
On a realistic level if Mayo are to win an AI soon it won't be with a Mayo manager.

What a stupid statement to make.I know you do not like Horan, but without him we would not be close to the holy grail

I think beating galway et al in Connacht is within the compass of most managers.

It's not a slight on Horan but you've no track record of winning AI's at any grade , so it must be hard to find someone who can talk to them about what it's like.

You need something at this stage.

Mayo have won U21, minor and club AIs since 2005. Try to keep up, Indy!

INDIANA

Quote from: hardstation on August 30, 2014, 09:05:46 PM
I thought they won AI minor championship, no?

1 championship in God knows how many years?

I can't see anyone revitalising this crew unless they can talk to them on a level what its like to win an AI.

That was heartbreak for players today- that would break any player today to bits. I feel really sorry for them. I really thought if they got to the final this year they'd win it

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2014, 09:13:10 PM

What a stupid statement to make.I know you do not like Horan, but without him we would not be close to the holy grail

I think beating galway et al in Connacht is within the compass of most managers.

It's not a slight on Horan but you've no track record of winning AI's at any grade , so it must be hard to find someone who can talk to them about what it's like.

A lot of things have happened in the world since 2005 Syferus.

No Mayo teams has won a senior AI club title since 2005. the other levels are miles away from the last 4 of the inter county scene.

What's Mc Stay at? He helped Brigids win the AI club two years ago- was an All Star as a player etc.

Horan has done everything he can with this bunch- who'd be a manager after that heartbreak today.

Mike Sheehy

Christ that was nerve wracking. Commiserations to Mayo, they were heroic. That Higgins v O'Donoghue duel encapsulated everything that is good about Gaelic football.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on August 30, 2014, 09:18:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2014, 09:13:10 PM

A lot of things have happened in the world since 2005 Syferus.

No Mayo teams has won a senior AI club title since 2005. the other levels are miles away from the last 4 of the inter county scene.

What's Mc Stay at? He helped Brigids win the AI club two years ago- was an All Star as a player etc.

Horan has done everything he can with this bunch- who'd be a manager after that heartbreak today.

McStay is biding his time until Johneen steps down, sure..

He works out of the Curragh now. Would be a huge commitment to do a senior county job, it was the move to the Curragh that caused him to only be with Brigids for a year. I reckon an U21 job in Mayo or Roscommon would be his ideal next job because it won't get in the way of his RTE gig but if the Rhubarbs come calling with the senior job.. who knows.

galwayman

How in Gods name did David Moran not get man of the match on rte?
Who got it on Sky?

headoftheroad

Whilst this was a good game it was not a classic. We will wait and see if Kerry are depleted for the final. As long as the CCCC teach the Nordie's a lesson (Armagh) brush today's handbag stuff under the carpet is the order of the day in Croke Park

BennyHarp

Great game - both teams gave everything and it's hardly surprising things boiled over near the end as there was so much at stake after the level of effort that had been put in. I was really impressed again by James O'Donoghue, although didn't deserve to win man of the match (David Moran was the stand out candidate for that accolade), he was excellent again. After getting outplayed by the superb Keith Higgins in the first half, many lesser players would have accepted defeat in that personal duel but he kept battling away, showing for the ball and trying to make things happen and he ended up having the major say in the game. Overall, superb entertainment and i genuinely feel sorry for Mayo. Oh and that fat bloke shouldn't be allowed near a game again.
That was never a square ball!!

Throw ball

Quote from: headoftheroad on August 30, 2014, 09:28:34 PM
Whilst this was a good game it was not a classic. We will wait and see if Kerry are depleted for the final. As long as the CCCC teach the Nordie's a lesson (Armagh) brush today's handbag stuff under the carpet is the order of the day in Croke Park

The fact that the referee dealt with it gives them a get out.

screenexile

Quote from: hardstation on August 30, 2014, 09:16:57 PM
Eh, can't be any worse than losing the finals?

I would say today is worse! This is the third year in a row they've failed and while you knew the last 2 years they would be back there is a serious doubt if this group have it in them to put in the effort/commitment for a 3rd time.

Unfortunately there is a mental frailty there that has stopped them getting to the promised land

1) Conceding Murphy's goal in 2011
2) Not taking advantage of Dublin pulling up towards the end of last years AIF
3) Throwing away a 5pt lead last week
4) McLoughlin not taking his goal on ET

Heartbreaking but fair play to Kerry. I hope they can beat the Dubs or at least make it a good game!!!

Itchy

Quote from: galwayman on August 30, 2014, 09:26:19 PM
How in Gods name did David Moran not get man of the match on rte?
Who got it on Sky?

I'm guessing Tommy Carr picked it that's why. Moran was incredible today. What a great game, huge respect to both teams.

heffo

Quote from: screenexile on August 30, 2014, 09:35:37 PM

I would say today is worse! This is the third year in a row they've failed and while you knew the last 2 years they would be back there is a serious doubt if this group have it in them to put in the effort/commitment for a 3rd time.

Unfortunately there is a mental frailty there that has stopped them getting to the promised land

Heartbreaking but fair play to Kerry. I hope they can beat the Dubs or at least make it a good game!!!

Not realising Dublin had two players who couldn't walk for the last ten minutes of last years final

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on August 30, 2014, 09:35:37 PM

That Mc loughlin chance was a half chance. Not so sure it was the glaring open goal Brolly talked about. Brolly loves seizing on a particular point to make it almost his entire overall point.

Estimator

We're any Mayo players disciplined in the melee before O'Connor's last free. I think Donaghy and O'Sullivan were the only two booked.
Ulster League Champions 2009