Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 28, 2014, 10:06:26 PM
Delighted he'll play but on what grounds was it overturned?? Seems like the decision was technically correct even if it was unreal harsh.

I was trying to figure out what his defense would be and the best I could come up with is that a man who can consistently kick points from 40 yards wouldn't/couldn't miss kicking someone from 2 yards away if they were "attempting" to kick him. His "gesture" was intended more along the lines of making a closed fist sign at an opponent rather than actually attempting to strike them. (Or at least that's the best defense I could concoct)

macdanger2

Apparently James was down in Limerick scouting out the place and bumped into Frank Murphy on O'Connell st, the rest as they say is history.....

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2014, 10:13:45 PM
Coldrick hung out to dry.
Who'd be a ref.

Refs may as well keep the red cards in their pocket the amount of times they are overturned. Correct or incorrect it makes no difference.

oneoftheseyears

Who'd be a ref.
Fairly sure he would have had an input into the overturning.

Mike Sheehy

Good.

Both teams at full strength. Should make for a great game.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 28, 2014, 09:30:22 PM
Tickets available for all parts of the ground. Might be less traffic jams than people are predicting. You'd think there'd never been a game in limerick before judging by the reactions. Go early make the day out of it and enjoy your county being on the verge of an all Ireland final. For years fans in the south of Kerry have had to travel longer to games than rest of country.

100% agree Redhand Santa. I and a large group of my friends are heading down Sat early and I am really looking forward to the game in a sold out Gaelic Grounds. There should be a bigger than usual Kerry crowd there with it being a bit closer than Dublin and despite all the wailing there will as always a big Mayo crowd travelling in hope. Hopefully it will be a 50/50 split and a nice day to set up for a great battle.My only worry is there being no Hawkeye so hopefully it doesn't deny Mayo or Kerry an important score!!

We have got a bit of luck with Keegan getting off his red card so I would say it will be the same team as started the last day. I have a feeling though Ger Caff won't have recovered in time so I think you will see either Keane or Barrett come in to the team with Keane or Cunniffe lining out at full back. Expect Higgins to be left one on one this time with O'Donoghue which could spell disaster for us but at the same time we just don't play well as a team unless the shackles are off!! Kerry will rain more ball down on top of our no. 3 whoever that is and if Geaney brings his shooting boots we could be in for a long day. We will have to have a plan for Donaghy ( or be a heap of points ahead) for when he is introduced but personally I think if Seami , Aidan and Gibbons can dominate the middle from the start this time it would go along way to curbing Kerry's forward power.

Lastly to have a chance we also need to curb the influence of O'Brien and Walsh along with Freeman deciding to turn up taking some of the attention away from Cillian. Silly turnovers need to become an endangered species for 70 mins along with Dillion, Kevin Mac and Doc having a 50 or 60 min version of their third quarter performance from the last day!! Andy , Parsons ,Sweeney Harrison and maybe even the Castlebar duo Barry Moran/Richie Feeney will probably be needed to drag us into an unlikely third final in a row. Looking at all these factors says to me a win, while not impossible, is probably unlikely but the boys should give all they have which will be enough for me regardless of the result.

whitey

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 28, 2014, 10:41:06 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 28, 2014, 09:30:22 PM
Tickets available for all parts of the ground. Might be less traffic jams than people are predicting. You'd think there'd never been a game in limerick before judging by the reactions. Go early make the day out of it and enjoy your county being on the verge of an all Ireland final. For years fans in the south of Kerry have had to travel longer to games than rest of country.

It reminds me of when the tall-ships came to Boston a few years ago. Every single news outlet was predicting armageddon from a traffic standpoint, so much so that no one showed up and it was a complete flop.

Mayo will travel regardless of where it is....they travelled in numbers to Irvinestown at the height of the troubles for an U21 replay when most people from the South would have $hit the,selves at the prospect of crossing the border

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mike Sheehy link.msg1393709#msg1393709 date=1409261535
Good.

Would Declan O'Sullivan,Bryan Sheehan not be starters if fully fit? Stephen O Brien selected to start but I'd say he's unlikely to play after going off injured last Sunday.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 28, 2014, 10:32:15 PM
Good.

Fair play Mike that is very magnanimous and sporting of you. I wouldn't hold it against any Kerryman to be a bit mad about this considering some of the trial by Sunday game stuff along with some very harsh bans that  Kerry players had to put up with over the last decade.

BennyHarp

On what grounds was Lee Keegan's appeal successful? Seems a strange one to me unless there was some sort of technicality.
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

As I said before I'm really looking forward to watching the replay. Despite being a bit sick of the complaining over venue by some supporters and ministers etc I'd love to see mayo win and go on to win the all Ireland.

They put a huge amount of effort into the second half on Sunday and need to play at a high intensity for longer spells to win this weekend. There game relies on high energy levels and good support play. Delighted Keenan is free to play as harshly got the line. I'd be a we bit worried if win this weekend they could fall short again but no point worrying about that yet.

As for Kerry they deserve huge credit for their displays the last 2 years. They've been written off and lack the big names of previous teams. Sometimes it can be hard for a county to compete after a successful team finishes but they've stuck at it and new guys have stepped up.

sans pessimism

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 28, 2014, 10:56:56 PM
On what grounds was Lee Keegan's appeal successful? Seems a strange one to me unless there was some sort of technicality.
T'wasnt the Gaelic grounds anyway!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ballinaman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 28, 2014, 11:01:07 PM
As I said before I'm really looking forward to watching the replay. Despite being a bit sick of the complaining over venue by some supporters and ministers etc I'd love to see mayo win and go on to win the all Ireland.

They put a huge amount of effort into the second half on Sunday and need to play at a high intensity for longer spells to win this weekend. There game relies on high energy levels and good support play. Delighted Keenan is free to play as harshly got the line. I'd be a we bit worried if win this weekend they could fall short again but no point worrying about that yet.

As for Kerry they deserve huge credit for their displays the last 2 years. They've been written off and lack the big names of previous teams. Sometimes it can be hard for a county to compete after a successful team finishes but they've stuck at it and new guys have stepped up.
The guff about the venue has come a vocal minority, as usual. Anyone I know doesn't give 2 shites.

moysider

Who'd be a ref.

Indeed. But I m sure Coldrick would have looked at video before he wrote his report. Technically it could be but I m convinced Coldrick was influenced by Walsh s exaggerated tantrum which was as coreographed as you could not hope to see. I suspect Coldrick is relieved that Mayo got draw and Keegan is available to play. The appeal shows that he got it wrong - he was conned.

This is a big swing to Mayo - maybe.

Kerry tried to get him sent off and succeeded. But we survived and know he s back and motivated. We d have been motivated if he was missing but now that our year nearly ended because he was cynically targeted it will motivate the team to get stuck in.

On the other hand we were brutal while Keegan was on the pitch and if we continued like that with 15 we could have been hammered. So Keegan or no Keegan if we re timid like that again we ll be in trouble again. We repeated the same poor decision making and turnovers that were there v Cork, Galway , Ros and back to league.
Great that Lee beat the rap. He ll have learned his lesson. The team showed the last day that they have courage. If management get it a bit better we could pull through.,

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 28, 2014, 10:49:21 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy link.msg1393709#msg1393709 date=1409261535
Good.

Would Declan O'Sullivan,Bryan Sheehan not be starters if fully fit? Stephen O Brien selected to start but I'd say he's unlikely to play after going off injured last Sunday.

Well, at full strength relative to the last day anyway. I think O'Brien is ok to start.