Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 26, 2014, 10:34:26 AM
Quote from: Sidney on August 26, 2014, 10:04:07 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2014, 09:03:02 AM

This is a bizarre post. I thought O'Donoghue was superb on Sunday. 1-3 from play even though he was tightly shackled by the excellent Keith Higgins and with Mayo double teaming him by dropping a sweeper in front. He showed and won nearly every ball that came his way despite shipping plenty of heavy tackles in the process. I personally think he enhanced his reputation on Sunday. As if great players have never missed opportunities from time to time. Of course he hasn't been around long enough to compare to Gooch, but to make that assessment after his performance on Sunday as if he fluffed his lines completely is just unfair.
Good as O'Donoghue is, and he's pure class and the best forward in the game, you can only compare him to Cooper against what both had done by the same age. O'Donoghue is 24 now and has done a hell of a lot in his four seasons, but Cooper had still done more by that age.

Yeah but look at the players Cooper had around him in his first 4 seasons and look at the players around JOD presently.
Another way you could look at it is that Cooper broke into an already supremely gifted Kerry forward line as a skinny 19 year old and became the main man pretty much straight away. O'Donoghue is the same age now that Cooper was in 2007, by which time Cooper was already firmly established as one of the all-time greats. I'm not sure O'Donoghue has quite earned his place in that category yet, although he's likely to do so soon enough if he keeps going the way he is.

While both are great finishers, I'd trust Cooper just that little bit more to hit the target, as Sunday showed. O'Donoghue has a superior ability to beat a man due to his greater pace. What O'Donoghue has yet to display is the type of razor sharp football brain Cooper has in terms of bringing others into the game, waiting for the right moment and pouncing with a killer pass - the type of awareness that made Cooper's switch to centre forward such a success last year. Cooper had already displayed that awareness in spades by 2007.

The Hill is Blue

Headline in today's Indo.

"Would this happen to Dublin? Fans react to decision to play Mayo-Kerry replay in Limerick"

What on earth has Dublin to do with this argument? More sloppy journalism – particularly since the article below the headline goes on to point out that the last time a semi-final was played outside of Croke Park Dublin were involved!

Priceless. 
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Dont Matter

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 26, 2014, 12:49:50 PM

"Would this happen to Dublin? Fans react to decision to play Mayo-Kerry replay in Limerick"

What on earth has Dublin to do with this argument? More sloppy journalism – particularly since the article below the headline goes on to point out that the last time a semi-final was played outside of Croke Park Dublin were involved!

Priceless.

Dubl$n haven't played outside Croke Park in any championship match since 2006, Mayo and Kerry have to play an All Ireland semi final outside Croke Park. It's crazy.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Lar Naparka

Quote from: galwayman on August 26, 2014, 09:30:37 AM
I genuinely can't see anything other than a Mayo win on Saturday.
Unlike most counties - Kerry are generally always there or thereabouts no matter how many new players are being blooded.
The word transition doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary.
But I think Mayo have the stronger 15 at this moment in time.When they get their running game from deep going they are relentless and very difficult to stop.
Kerry weren't able to deal with that for long periods of the second half even with the extra man (albeit they used the extra player poorly which seems to happen a lot to teams who are a man up).
The one worry for Mayo is the lack of impact off the bench.

I do think there will be a plan in place for Donaghy this time though and he will be matched up with somebody who can compete with him in the air.
In theory that should be the case but in practice it's not so clear-cut.
Unfortunately, Mayo seems to have perfected the art of building up impressive leads and then squandering them in the closing stages.
So far in these championships, their luck as held but they may yet have cause to regret their inability to close out a game when the result should not be in doubt. 
Have they the ruthlessness to win an All-Ireland?
They have everything else bar this.
Roscommon almost caught them napping and so did Cork. Over the course of each game, they were the better side on both occasions but were lucky to survive in the end.
Against Kerry, five points ahead with only five minutes to go and yet they were steeped to get out with a draw.    
Bad habits are difficult to eradicate this is my main concern for the next game.
This is the best Mayo side I have ever seen and after the fightback on Sunday you can discard the "chokers" tag.  JH has done a magnificent job of getting them to their third semi on the trot but his tactical nous and his ability to select match ups lets him down.
If I were to mark his card, I'd give him 9 out of 10 but it's the remaining one I'm worried about.
I believe the game last Sunday will have brought Kerry on a lot, all their young players performed with credit and they will be a tougher, cuter team in Limerick.
I'll still put the usual 50 on Mayo but I'm not totally confident about the result.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

INDIANA

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 26, 2014, 12:57:48 PM
Unlike most counties - Kerry are generally always there or thereabouts no matter how many new players are being blooded.
But I think Mayo have the stronger 15 at this moment in time.When they get their running game from deep going they are relentless and very difficult to stop.
Kerry weren't able to deal with that for long periods of the second half even with the extra man (albeit they used the extra player poorly which seems to happen a lot to teams who are a man up).

I do think there will be a plan in place for Donaghy this time though and he will be matched up with somebody who can compete with him in the air.
Unfortunately, Mayo seems to have perfected the art of building up impressive leads and then squandering them in the closing stages.
So far in these championships, their luck as held but they may yet have cause to regret their inability to close out a game when the result should not be in doubt. 
Roscommon almost caught them napping and so did Cork. Over the course of each game, they were the better side on both occasions but were lucky to survive in the end.
Against Kerry, five points ahead with only five minutes to go and yet they were steeped to get out with a draw.    
Bad habits are difficult to eradicate this is my main concern for the next game.
This is the best Mayo side I have ever seen and after the fightback on Sunday you can discard the "chokers" tag.  JH has done a magnificent job of getting them to their third semi on the trot but his tactical nous and his ability to select match ups lets him down.
If I were to mark his card, I'd give him 9 out of 10 but it's the remaining one I'm worried about.
I believe the game last Sunday will have brought Kerry on a lot, all their young players performed with credit and they will be a tougher, cuter team in Limerick.
I'll still put the usual 50 on Mayo but I'm not totally confident about the result.

If Cillian O Connor is held what happens. thats my fear for Mayo. To me Mayo are always one inside forward short of being a top class side

macdanger2

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 26, 2014, 12:49:50 PM

Priceless.

TBF, it's nothing to do with Dublin except that the reason the GAA are giving for not having it on Saturday week is the possibility of a Donegal / Dublin replay – that's more to do with money than Dublin GAA

macdanger2

This is a bizarre post. I thought O'Donoghue was superb on Sunday. 1-3 from play even though he was tightly shackled by the excellent Keith Higgins and with Mayo double teaming him by dropping a sweeper in front. He showed and won nearly every ball that came his way despite shipping plenty of heavy tackles in the process. I personally think he enhanced his reputation on Sunday. As if great players have never missed opportunities from time to time. Of course he hasn't been around long enough to compare to Gooch, but to make that assessment after his performance on Sunday as if he fluffed his lines completely is just unfair.

True, he was well marked by one of the best corner backs in the game but he had two relatively simple chances to win the game for Kerry and he showed a lack of composure both times in missing them. Like I said, he's a class player but previous comparisons with Gooch seem to be premature. I actually thought his link play was pretty good, his ball across to Donnacha Walsh was inches away from being an easy goal chance and he also crossed from the right for someone to get a point (can't remember who).

David Moran really stepped up for Kerry in the first half in particular. He faded a bit in the second but was still on hand to play in the ball for Donaghy's goal. He's someone Mayo will need to counteract on Saturday to have a chance of winnning

highorlow

QuoteIf Cillian O Connor is held what happens. thats my fear for Mayo. To me Mayo are always one inside forward short of being a top class side

So it's 2 marquee forwards we need now? COC was held scoreless from play by Ross and got just 2 from play against Cork, the rest of the lads chipped in then. Our half forward line and whatever our new midfield will be should jab in more on the scoreboard the next day when it's back to 15 v 15.   

COC is getting better by the game. Replay will only go one way and that's our boys to win. I predicted a handy win at the weekend but didn't factor in the sending off.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

BennyHarp

Quote from: Sidney on August 26, 2014, 10:04:07 AM

Good as O'Donoghue is, and he's pure class and the best forward in the game, you can only compare him to Cooper against what both had done by the same age. O'Donoghue is 24 now and has done a hell of a lot in his four seasons, but Cooper had still done more by that age.

I agree with this, O'Donoghue hasn't done enough to be considered in the same bracket as Gooch, my point is that Sundays performance, in my opinion, enhanced his reputation rather than gave more evidence to suggest he's not in that class.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: highorlow on August 26, 2014, 02:25:56 PM
QuoteIf Cillian O Connor is held what happens. thats my fear for Mayo. To me Mayo are always one inside forward short of being a top class side

So it's 2 marquee forwards we need now? COC was held scoreless from play by Ross and got just 2 from play against Cork, the rest of the lads chipped in then. Our half forward line and whatever our new midfield will be should jab in more on the scoreboard the next day when it's back to 15 v 15.   

COC is getting better by the game. Replay will only go one way and that's our boys to win. I predicted a handy win at the weekend but didn't factor in the sending off.

CO'C was still the key. His frees were what kept Mayo in the game.

To honest, though, it's Mayo's defence that is the problem now. The likes of CO'C, AOS, Dillon and Andy are in fine form right now and if anything are the ones carrying the others. Stabilising the FB line is much more important to Mayo's chances than any chatter about marquee forwards.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: INDIANA on August 26, 2014, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 26, 2014, 12:57:48 PM

If Cillian O Connor is held what happens. thats my fear for Mayo. To me Mayo are always one inside forward short of being a top class side
Actually I believe they are  good enough for any game bar the AI Final.  It's a case of the total being greater than the sum of the parts.
Moysider put in very well once when he said JH would need about 5% more from his team if they are to win this year. Kerry will be no pushover and it remains to be seen which manager learned the I'm afraid you are right. I think the Mayo forwards, as a unit, are better than last year and they make up for the shortage of classy forwards with hard work and sheer determination.
most about the opposition last Sunday. I feel Fitzmaurice has the edge here but if Mayo can reproduce their second half form, they should prevail.  Dunno what effect Keegan's enforced absence will have on the proceedings but I hope the team will go  the extra yards to get him back for the final.
Ah, if only we had Ciaran Mac back in harness again! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 02:35:59 PM

To honest, though, it's Mayo's defence that is the problem now. The likes of CO'C, AOS, Dillon and Andy are in fine form right now and if anything are the ones carrying the others. Stabilising the FB line is much more important to Mayo's chances than any chatter about marquee forwards.

True. And no obvious solutions either.
I suspect that Caff. has been carrying an injury for some time. Even fully fit he wouldn t be able to deal with a Donaghy or Murphy in the air. Now he s struggling against opponents that used to be able to shackle.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 26, 2014, 02:46:20 PM

I suspect that Caff. has been carrying an injury for some time. Even fully fit he wouldn t be able to deal with a Donaghy or Murphy in the air. Now he s struggling against opponents that used to be able to shackle.

He was doing a fair amount of stretching before the goal, I had thought he'd cramped up but it may be more. Fully fit Caffrekey should make mince meat of the 2014 Kieran Donaghy. He's a long way off Murphy now, even in the air alone. If Caffrekey does have an injury he could be a doubt for Saturday.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2014, 02:50:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 26, 2014, 02:46:20 PM

He was doing a fair amount of stretching before the goal, I had thought he'd cramped up but it may be more. Fully fit Caffrekey should make mince meat of the 2014 Kieran Donaghy. He's a long way off Murphy now, even in the air alone. If Caffrekey does have an injury he could be a doubt for Saturday.

Unlikely cramp. He would have covered half the ground others were at.
He pulled up in a league game and has not been right since imo. Any injury would be hush hush because you don t want the opposition to know that the full back is struggling. But the cat is out of the bag now and he will be tested at every opportunity now.
He missed a year out with a nasty pelvic bone condition years ago. Probably not that but he has looked a yard slow and unsure since Spring.

theticklemister

He was caught out about 5/6 times under the high ball on different men on Sunday. Nothing to do with injury, his positional sense was shocking.