Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Great game yesterday, congrats to both teams. Mayo showed serious bottle to come back in the second half 5 points down and a man down, unbelievable stuff just a pity we couldn't close it out.

For me, AOS was motm, thought he was outstanding when we needed him at the start of the second half. Dillon, Boyle and cillian all excellent as well.

Stupid stuff from keegan to get sent off, harsh enough call though. Walsh didn't cover himself in glory with his carry on after the incident.

Surprised Barry didn't get on yesterday, I would have put him on for SOS after 60 mins.

Looking forward to next Saturday, would have preferred Croker but I think we'll be good enough to see off kerry. Massive improvement needed from whichever team goes through if they're to win an AI.

macdanger2

What was the idea behind leaving Dec O'S on the bench and bringing him on after 20? If he was fit enough for 50 mins, he was surely fit enough to start??

AZOffaly

He's not, but I think when O'Brien got hurt, they thought Declan could get on the ball a bit around the middle. I wasn't expecting him to finish.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2014, 03:16:47 PM
It was an emotional day and most of us. At half time thought this was the end of this core of this group of players. I have to say i did not enjoy yesterdays game. Relief was my main emotion yesterday. The Keegan sending off at the time had double ramifications. Firstly losing him for the second half and us down to 14 and secondly losing him for the final. The sending off changed the game and despite what people think that the sending off inspired Mayo, I actually believe that Mayo gear up for a big third quarter anyway. This has been the form all year. So I don't think the sending off was the inspiration most think. In fact it shagged out our defense and Left JOD a freer role. I felt we would have definitely won with 15 and so I see it as a chance missed in getting this tie over and done with. That said I am still glad we are still in the Championship.

Gaa referees are gas they make a big decision like yesterday and spend the rest of the game evening things up. Mayo could do whatever they liked in the second half and got most of the marginal decisions. This was no doubt talked about in the dressing room at half time. Kerry like most Kerry teams naturally would see shame in losing to a Mayo team and even more losing to only 14. A sense of fear gripped them in the second half and if it was not for the older heads that were brought on that added more calm than guile for the last 10 minutes they would have lost. 

Both teams will be brought on by yesterdays game. Kerry will have to be worried that that they had an extra man for a whole half and Mayo had lost one of it best players. The this is not soccer quote has been thrown about. But the extra man came home to roost when Mayo became tired in closing out the game. Not sure if this was to blame. We had difficulty closing out the Cork game aswell.

Both Managers have shown their hand. Match fitness, Condition and Form of players as well as tactics cannot be faked for the next outing. Both Managers will really know the weak points in each others amour.

Horan gets allot of flack for Mayo people (who have short memories). But yesterday he got allot right. His subs were good. They all added to our performance. Conroy, Andy and Parsons held their own and added to our display yesterday!

Of the two Managers interviewed after the match, Horan looked the more pleased and I'd say the asking for the game to be rescheduled on Saturday week would have been a dream fixture. As the winners would have just 2 weeks until the final and almost a perfect run in! Anyway not to be, so it Limerick here we come.
Horan sounded far more upbeat after the match. Great character by the team. Up Mayo.

macdanger2

Didn't realise O'Brien was injured. Will o's start on Saturday??

On the Mayo side, it's hard to see Gibbons starting, either Parsons or Moran to start instead.

magpie seanie

Ballaghman

Savage stuff from the boys yesterday. Wasn't feeling too hopeful at half-time but the way they dug in, especially in the 3rd quarter, was something else.
All in all I felt Coldrick was a bit harsh on us, he may have 'evened' things up a little in the second half but as a few lads have already said, if Keegan was sent off on a technicality then O'Connor definitely should have won a penalty in the first half. Minimal contact has to work both ways, we were on the wrong end of both calls.
Also Kerry's persistant fouling went unchecked all day. I didn't like seeing AOS waving the imaginary card but he gets so little protection and after watching Donnacha Walsh's riverdance audition I can fully see why he did it. He is like a minor playing against 14 year olds and refs seem to thing he's a punching bag and offer him not protection whatsover, just as well he's an ox of a man.
5 points up with 5 to go looks like a throwaway but we were so wrecked at that stage if the game went on any longer we'd have lost so all in all Mayo have to be more relieved with the draw.

I'd be confident enough about the next day now but replays can be surprising. It's always the team that learns the most that wins so if Donaghy was to be thrown in earlier we need to react quicker.
Caff did a great job on him back in 2011 but was shagged by the time he came on yesterday and is also not playing quite as well as 3 years ago. If Donaghy comes on the next day I'd also consider Barry Moran on him and have lads under the breaking ball. I'd only do this if it's late in the game when a lot of shape is lost anyway. If he comes on early in the game I'd still trust Caff. He's getting criticised here for yesterday but he was on a class player and apart from the goal chance (Geaney should have scored), I thought he held him up very well. It is worrying how he is tiring so bad at the end of games now though.

Will Barrett come back in now or maybe he'll leave McLoughlin at wing back and bring in a forward......... did someone say Varley?

rodney trotter

It was surprising Freeman started for Mayo, no offense to him. What form has he shown in the championship this year?

Jinxy

Freeman is the sort of lad that could have a big say if he got an early score and settled.
He could also just as easily contribute nothing.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Carr on TSG commenting on coc's penalty shout, "he might have been fouled but he got the advantage and didn't take it". Someone would want to explain the advantage rule to Tom

AZOffaly

The man is cat. I watched it on Sky. I can't listen to Tom, the artist formerly known as Tommy, Carr.

rodney trotter

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 25, 2014, 04:54:40 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 25, 2014, 04:44:43 PM
It was surprising Freeman started for Mayo, no offense to him. What form has he shown in the championship this year?

Had a great league Match against Kerry. Game suited him that day. So it was worth chancing. As Jinxy said he can be hit and miss! But thats the way with allot of inter county forwards?

He has been more miss then hit this year though, very poor against Derry in the League Semi and against Roscommon, poor when introduced against Cork.

He doesn't seem to have the aggression for a top County forward?

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 25, 2014, 04:44:43 PM

What chance has he had to have form? Horan seems to treat him like a toy, to be wheeled out on special occasions. Freeman is a confidence player and as he showed last year, the manager sticking with him leaves everyone happy, supporters included. Atrocious ball in to Freeman for most of the game, if the service was good he could have had a field day like he did in the league meeting, which obviously played into Horan's decision. Freeman was also injured by Hennelly in the warm-up of the the Hyde game so coupled with the style of game it's hard to pick out that performance.

It seems a shoot-out between Andy and Freeman for one spot but the best Mayo team right now would have both named.

rodney trotter

If he had Andy Morans ball winning ability he would be a very good player,

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 25, 2014, 04:39:24 PM
Will Barrett come back in now or maybe he'll leave McLoughlin at wing back and bring in a forward......... did someone say Varley?

Gone from the panel if reports are to be believed
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me