Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Well this colleges game been booked for months, croke park should have foreseen a replay, it would be better to have the game sat week, and give the players a weeks rest, then 2 wks to the final, the problem would arise if dublin and donegal drew next wk, been hard to get a ticket for a double header like that, though it accomodate the die hards who follow the league games

Sidney

Quote from: joemamas on August 24, 2014, 07:04:17 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 24, 2014, 06:55:08 PM
Ah come on lads, Limerick is not that rough. Nothing to be afraid of.

Mike,

iT is a munster venue. Right. Have Mayo ever played a championship there.

Picked the two most populous towns in each county.

Killarney to Limerick  109 km
Tralee to Limerick       101km

castlebar to limerick    165km
ballina to limerick        195km

Hawkeye not available, maybe not a big factor who knows.

bottom line it should be in Croke Park, no matter who ends up winning.
It's not as Kerry are regular visitors there either. They've played maybe four matches there in the last decade, all in front of sparse crowds.

Galway played Donegal in a quarter-final replay in Castlebar in 2003, a pitch Galway would have been much more familiar with. Donegal won.

The venue will be no advantage to Kerry.

Sidney

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 24, 2014, 07:14:49 PM
Well this colleges game been booked for months, croke park should have foreseen a replay, it would be better to have the game sat week, and give the players a weeks rest, then 2 wks to the final, the problem would arise if dublin and donegal drew next wk, been hard to get a ticket for a double header like that, though it accomodate the die hards who follow the league games
They did foresee a replay, hence the arrangement for Limerick was made, and it isn't the first time such a provision has been made - if Kerry and Meath had drawn in 2001 the replay was down for Thurles.

INDIANA

Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2014, 06:45:30 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 24, 2014, 06:29:20 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 24, 2014, 06:15:19 PM
In 1983 Pairc Ui Chaoimh got the All-Ireland semi-final replay and there was huge controversy over that. It was one of the greatest ever GAA occasions.

The Croke Park match experience has gone stale for regular match-goers. Next Saturday will be a 49,000 full house in the open air, beer, craic, and hopefully, if the sun shines, it'll be one of the greatest atmospheres we've seen for years.

Perhaps, although Kerry will have played there much more often than Mayo.
Of course, in the discussion about American football and so on the real reason for the game being in Limerick is that the precious Dubs couldn't be asked to leave Croke Park in the event of the a replay, they always play at home, so a move to the following Saturday is out.

Its posts like that that make me buy a packet of Hamlet cigars on all ireland final evening

Smoking isn't healthy and makes you smell disgusting.

Tongue in cheek you muppet

drici

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-to-request-rescheduling-of-semi-final-replay-1.1906513

Mayo to request rescheduling of semi-final replay

James Horan unhappy with Limerick as venue after Croke Park draw with Kerry

The Mayo county board will request a postponement of the All-Ireland football semi-final to allow the game to take place in Croke Park.

Kerry and Mayo drew 1-16 apiece at headquarters today but, as it stands, the replay will not be staged there this Saturday because the ground is hosting the 'Croke Park Classic' American football match between University of Central Florida and Penn State.

Mayo want the replay to be postponed until Saturday, September 6th, the day before the senior hurling final between Kilkenny and Tipperary, to allow it to be staged back in Dublin

Aaron Boone

Luckily Munster are playing the night before, so there won't be a clash there.
But the Limerick Pride march is on.

AZOffaly

BennyCake

Syferus

How severely traumatised would Kerry be if Mayo of all teams go down to their doorstep and fûck them out of the championship? John B. Keane would have been all over that one.

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2014, 07:56:21 PM
How severely traumatised would Kerry be if Mayo of all teams go down to their doorstep and fûck them out of the championship? John B. Keane would have been all over that one.
The GAA's whinging brigade are already all over John B. Keane's "The Field". Joe Brolly will be playing the Bull McCabe in a special one performance at the Gate Theatre next Friday in protest at the Yanks having Croke Park next Saturday.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

rossiewanderer

What a wonderful game today, such a shame theirs not a few more games like that more often,I cant remember enjoying a game as much despite losing a few quid on Mayo they displayed incredible heart as did kerry.
Replay nicely poised with the impact of the bench players crucial today posing big selection dilemmas.
I think Mayo will come on more from today and win the replay and have a very real chance in the final.

Drummerboy

Great response from Mayo in second half. However I thought they were going to ground very easy and was disgusted to see O'Shea giving the ref the card sign when he was taken down. Watching too much sky if you ask me. Has Donaghy really being injured all season. Made a huge impact when he came on.

seafoid

Quote from: Sidney on August 24, 2014, 06:31:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 24, 2014, 06:15:19 PM
In 1983 Pairc Ui Chaoimh got the All-Ireland semi-final replay and there was huge controversy over that. It was one of the greatest ever GAA occasions.

The Croke Park match experience has gone stale for regular match-goers. Next Saturday will be a 49,000 full house in the open air, beer, craic, and hopefully, if the sun shines, it'll be one of the greatest atmospheres we've seen for years.

Perhaps, although Kerry will have played there much more often than Mayo.
Of course, in the discussion about American football and so on the real reason for the game being in Limerick is that the precious Dubs couldn't be asked to leave Croke Park in the event of the a replay, they always play at home, so a move to the following Saturday is out.
We left Croke Park for the replay in 1983 and got on well enough. Diddums.
Dublin might have been more successful playing all their matches outside Croker over the last 30 years, really.
I thought the team of the early 90s would never win the thing. 

Syferus

Quote from: Drummerboy on August 24, 2014, 08:56:58 PM
Great response from Mayo in second half. However I thought they were going to ground very easy and was disgusted to see O'Shea giving the ref the card sign when he was taken down. Watching too much sky if you ask me. Has Donaghy really being injured all season. Made a huge impact when he came on.

Been injured but even when fit he's been second string under Fitz. Caught two meaningful balls, this is his best performance in three years at least but that tells its own story. I think Mayo would be delighted if Kerry started him the next day. I put more weight on three years of looking like a goner than five minutes of looking like a Star.