Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 21, 2014, 11:53:58 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 21, 2014, 11:47:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2014, 11:37:38 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 21, 2014, 11:17:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 21, 2014, 11:00:52 PM
Mayo by one point for another long drive full of dheras back to Gnieveguillia and associated mythologies.

for a supposed gaelgoir you have a piss poor grasp of Irish placenames

still sore about the qtr final eh ?
That's an anglicisation. Not the Erse.
And it's Gaelgeoir btw.
You can't have o following the consonant after an e

Up Mayo.   

Its Gneeveguilla...pronounced Gwen-Eve-Grilla...if you pronounce the Grilla part as Jonathan Ross would. :P

I would say Ginnygwilla. Home of the legendary Rosie!

True..a lot of locals leave out the V part, but you gotta try to squeeze it in there! Rosie is the best of breed from there alright..now half a Crokes man though and Ambrose Jnr is very much a townie.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 21, 2014, 11:59:28 PM
Mayo by one point for another long drive full of dheras back to Gnieveguillia and associated mythologies.

And it's Gaelgeoir btw.

Up Mayo.   

Its Gneeveguilla...pronounced Gwen-Eve-Grilla...if you pronounce the Grilla part as Jonathan Ross would. :P

True..a lot of locals leave out the V part, but you gotta try to squeeze it in there! Rosie is the best of breed from there alright..now half a Crokes man though and Ambrose Jnr is very much a townie.

Some Older locals drop the G and just say 'neevguilla. A lot of others pronounce it like 5-Sams mentioned.
whatever way you pronounce it we can all agree that Seafoid made a complete twat of himself.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 21, 2014, 11:58:57 PM

And it's Gaelgeoir btw.

Up Mayo.   

You've just been called out twice in the space of half an hour by two other kerrymen about your obvious faux pas.

It's like when you try to pontificate about the opinions of Americans. You don't have a clue so stfu and let locals who are in the know educate you about the facts.

You dumb shit.

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 21, 2014, 09:59:18 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 21, 2014, 08:52:13 PM
OffTheBall reporting Declan O'Sullivan is not starting for Kerry. They all reckon he'll play a part though.

Full team:

KERRY (SF v Mayo): Brian Kelly; Marc Ó Sé, Aidan O'Mahony, Shane Enright; Paul Murphy, Peter Crowley, Fionn Fitzgerald; Anthony Maher, David Moran; Michael Geaney, Johnny Buckley, Donnchadh Walsh; Stephen O'Brien, Paul Geaney, James O'Donoghue.

Buckley is a good player but I feel he is lacking something at this level. Not convinced by either Geaney. One is just ordinary, the other is too flakey. Very worried about Aidan O'Mahoney.

It's O'Mahony, you dumb shit! :D :) (At least this particular Anglicised version is spelt thus.)

I take your point though, I too think his time has passed.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

blanketattack

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 22, 2014, 12:18:23 AM

And it's Gaelgeoir btw.

Up Mayo.   

Some Older locals drop the G and just say 'neevguilla. A lot of others pronounce it like 5-Sams mentioned.
whatever way you pronounce it we can all agree that Seafoid made a complete t**t of himself.

Also, you never hear "Ginnygwilla" said on its own. Its usually "wan Ginnygwilla".

highorlow

QuoteVery few realistic/knowledgable Mayo fans calling for an annihilation. Two or three points would be fine for me. I am basing that prediction being at both Q/finals and my feeling that the potential lack of mobility of Kerry around the middle, one or two dodgy backs (we are also a little suspect), and of course Colm Cooper missing.

All year we are gearing our play for one team and one team only. We should easily have the measure of this Kerry team, that's the reality. I said to a few Kerry lads that we would take them by 6 or more and they were shocked. I think they are shocked because they know it's a reality and they will have to face defeat to us and also because Mayo people have an air of confidence about our team for a change.

This confidence came across in the crowd the last day and I hope it does again this Sunday.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

I can't believe how much James O'Donoghue is being allowed to talk to the media (not that I'm complaining) - he is everywhere this week. All print media, RTE, you name it.
He's contributing to his own hype. If he can continue to deliver on it, fair play to him, but he (and the Kerry mgmt) are adding to the pressure on him and could be setting him up for a fall!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AZOffaly

Quote from: blanketattack on August 22, 2014, 09:06:40 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 22, 2014, 12:18:23 AM

And it's Gaelgeoir btw.

Up Mayo.   

whatever way you pronounce it we can all agree that Seafoid made a complete t**t of himself.

Also, you never hear "Ginnygwilla" said on its own. Its usually "wan Ginnygwilla".

Or with 'f**king' as a prefix. "Where are ye playing this weekend?" "Above in f**king Ginnygwilla"

Msgr. Horan

Jaysus lads would ye chill our, theres not alot of love in the room. I'll pray for ye.

At this stage I'm afraid of everything Fitzmaurice does, hes starting to look like he has vodoo powers or something. I do think hes planning to drive on the last 20 minutes with the bench and win it then. Thats where they look stronger based on this team selection, if the Mayo team rumored is correct then the only potential game changer we have coming off the bench is Andy Moran. Barry Moran maybe as well although he wouldn't be a game changer as such, just would add more physicality to the middle for the last 15 to 20
Last year I would have said Ritchie Feeney coming in with 20 minutes to go in this match would be a possibility, and a big positive for Mayo, and I'd be very happy with that given the engine he has and the physicality he displays, but whatever he's done there doesn't seem to be any way back for poor Ritchie. And we're the worse off for it.

bcarrier

Surprised O'Mahony held his place but Kerry dont have a lot of options at the back.

Midfield will need plenty of help ...David Moran mixes the sublime with the ridiculous and Maher drifts in and out of games.

The forward line is handy though - not one man at all.

highorlow

Mayo Team Named; Same as previous match.

1.)   Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
2.)   Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3.)   Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4.)   Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5.)   Lee Keegan - Westport
6.)   Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
7.)   Colm Boyle - Davitts
8.)   Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
9.)   Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
10.) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11.) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
12.) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
13.) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
14.) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Capt.)
15.) Alan Dillon - Ballintubber

James Horan - Manager
Donie Buckley - Selector
Tom Prendergast - Selector
Ed Coughlan - Selector

Rossfan

Quote from: highorlow on August 22, 2014, 09:06:50 AM
[. We should easily have the measure of this Kerry team, that's the reality. I said to a few Kerry lads that we would take them by 6 or more ...... Mayo people have an air of confidence about our team .

This kind of talk can only have a sad ending...... when will they ever learn?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highorlow

QuoteThis kind of talk can only have a sad ending...... when will they ever learn?

Go for a spin on your magic bus.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Any team with aspirations of winning Sam should not have Donal Vaughan and Moran in the starting 15

Lar Naparka

I don't see any reason for undue optimism as we approach the game. If Mayo play like they did in the third quarter against Cork, we should prevail by a couple of points at least.
However, if one was to go by the final quarter, we'll be well and truly fooked.
Really, inconsistency has been the trade mark of this year's Mayo side, since the beginning of the league in fact.
I've laboured this point before so I won't go into it again; JH criticised his team's performance after most if not all league games, which I thought was uncharacteristic of him. He was going on about basic errors and lack of concentration and the likes.
Make no mistake about it, JH would have liked to win the league and was pissed off by the result of the semi-final against Derry.
Ross was very unlucky not to pip us at the post and Cork could feel hard done by as well.
Still, this is, overall;, a good Mayo side and if they don't o off the boil at crucial stages of the game, they would be a match for any team in the land.
IMO, the forward unit this year is the best we've seen since James took over and while there's no so-called marquee forward about, the degree of teamwork and devotion to the cause is commendable,  very much so.
Aidan O'Shea is turning into a class CHF; Kevin Mac is back on form again, COC is playing closer to his true potential than ever before. Add in that Doc has upped his game considerably and I think this side is four or five points better than last year.
Still, I won't be happy till the final whistle, no matter what the score is, as tere's is always the danger of lads losing the plot at some stage.
I won't feel anyway confident until Farr comes out and prophesies that we'll be bate half way up Clonliffe Road.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Crete Boom

Quote from: highorlow on August 22, 2014, 10:47:50 AM
Mayo Team Named; Same as previous match.

1.)   Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
2.)   Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3.)   Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4.)   Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5.)   Lee Keegan - Westport
6.)   Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
7.)   Colm Boyle - Davitts
8.)   Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
9.)   Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
10.) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11.) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
12.) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
13.) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
14.) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Capt.)
15.) Alan Dillon - Ballintubber

James Horan - Manager
Donie Buckley - Selector
Tom Prendergast - Selector
Ed Coughlan - Selector

I would have preferred if Gibbons and Freeman started instead of Moran and Barrett but James wants to stick to his tried and tested. This will also probably mean that Conroy and Varley will be the first two subs in and they have to show us more than they have so far although in my view this is unlikely. We really have to somehow wipe Kerry out in the middle third to have any chance and probably need Dillion , Kevin Mac and Cillian shooting the lights out too. It's a big ask for these two things to happen and I think is highly unlikely that both will come to pass!!

I just think Barrett has lost a little bit of form and with our full back line being isolated I fear they will struggle massively which against Kerry usually means and a couple of early goals are conceded before you can make any adjustment!! I was being seduced by some of the yerra stuff toward the middle of the week which got my hopes up a little but I am going to go with my gut instinct that we will be hit hard and early but go down fighting with our boots on only for the tank to run out of fuel around the hour mark.

Kerry by 5 or 6 with their bench finishing us off.