Muineachán v Baile Átha Cliath - AIQF

Started by Maguire01, August 03, 2014, 12:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samwin08

Did any one else the clear Black Card which O Gara should have received for a definite trip on the Monaghan defender early in the first half.

Went completely unnoticed / ignored  by Sunday game panellist.

some great pictures in papers of Armagh tactics on Saturday--catch them by the throat stuff

Fuzzman

What paper was that Samwin?
Is it online?

Never saw the trip from O'Gara but as the Donegal lads said to me, you'd imagine Monaghan backs would have thought to charge at him with the ball in order for him to get a second yellow as he's so clumsy and physical.
I thought in fairness to him he played well.
Did the simple things well like win primary ball and lay it off. No fancy stuff.

Estimator

Quote from: samwin08 on August 11, 2014, 01:56:51 PM
Did any one else the clear Black Card which O Gara should have received for a definite trip on the Monaghan defender early in the first half.

Went completely unnoticed / ignored  by Sunday game panellist.

some great pictures in papers of Armagh tactics on Saturday--catch them by the throat stuff
Definitely a black card, intentional trip on a runner breaking from defence. Duffy let play continue before returning to the offence and booking O'Gara. But ultimately it would have meant Rock or Costello replacing him which wouldn't have impacted upon Dublin at all. It certainly wouldn't have changed the outcome
Ulster League Champions 2009

Sleater

I'm just about over the disappointment of that thrashing. Hats of to the Dubs, they are a team of many talents and deservedly favorites for the all ireland. The six day turn around was always going to be tough for Monaghan against a fresher more prepared Dublin team. Would a longer prep period have helped Monaghan? - it would have but probably in only making the result closer, which is painful to admit.

Once I seen the Monaghan line out , I knew we were fucked. I was talking to lads at work the week before hand and i said if we didn't break even in midfield, we'll get wiped out. After O'Gara's disallowed goal, Dublin won 3 Monaghan kick outs and scored 2-1. That won the game, right there and then and knocked the stuffing out of Monaghan. Dick Clerkin has been a great player for Monaghan but I felt the Dublin game was the wrong game to start him. But our options were limited with Lennon injured & Doogan not fully match fit either. Donaghy on Devereux was a complete mismatch - Donaghy is a whole hearted scavenger and worker but has the footballing skills of a junior footballer. Not starting Finlay was also a mistake - sure he's not the most mobile but he is the supply line to the attack. Dermot Malone was another big miss for Monaghan.

The season took it's toll on Monaghan. Hopefully some new blood can reinvigorate the team next year. The dubs have set a bench mark the rest have to aspire too.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fecking hell, no wonder the Monaghan defence opened up after his injury!

Monaghan's Colin Walshe suffers cruciate ligament tear

Defender sustained injury in first half of Dublin defeat but played remainder of the game

Fri, Aug 15, 2014, 17:23

Monaghan's Colin Walshe will spend the next six to nine months on the sidelines thanks to a cruciate ligament injury.
The defender sustained the injury early in the first half of the All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to defending champions Dublin on Saturday but did not leave the pitch.
Walshe, in fact, played the remainder of the 2-22 to 0-11 defeat after receiving treatment.

It has now been confirmed the 2013 All Star tore the knee ligament in the incident and he now looks likely to unavailable to Monaghan and his club Doohamlet O'Neills until well into 2015.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/monaghan-s-colin-walshe-suffers-cruciate-ligament-tear-1.1898318
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

And people were claiming that Karl Lacey playing on with a hamstring pull had to be bullshit!

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2014, 01:27:40 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 10, 2014, 01:04:08 PM
Its just pointless arguing over and over on an internet forum, you are just never going to admit to an ounce of unfairness .its very common in Irish society to get away with a lie whilst both parties know fine well its a lie from political rouges to our  practices in the GAA from paying coaches to what we are talking about.

Sometimes i feel i should just join the liars and life would of been a lot simpler .

Funny that I played golf with a Prominent Mayo man yesterday morning and he told me underage football in Mayo is booming. And judging by your recent minor teams he can't be too far wrong.

Not true -  at least not everywhere in Mayo. The county s most successful club in history hasn't had a minor panelist last 2 years. Same club had to ring around to try and field an u16 team for championship. Hammered at u14. How does this happen to a club with easily enough players for 2 teams u12. Probably lack of proper coaching a factor. Still relying on volunteer coaches. In other words pushy Daddies. That's where a bit of money comes in. We re losing young players like a drain.

Zulu

If pushy unqualified parents are the issue then money won't solve it. I don't think any Dublin club have paid U12 coaches but they have adopted best practice and are getting the rewards now. It sounds to me like Ballina are a very poorly run club and if they got in some people with vision and enthusiasm then they could turn it around very quickly.

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on August 15, 2014, 10:03:04 PM
Its just pointless arguing over and over on an internet forum, you are just never going to admit to an ounce of unfairness .its very common in Irish society to get away with a lie whilst both parties know fine well its a lie from political rouges to our  practices in the GAA from paying coaches to what we are talking about.

Sometimes i feel i should just join the liars and life would of been a lot simpler .

Funny that I played golf with a Prominent Mayo man yesterday morning and he told me underage football in Mayo is booming. And judging by your recent minor teams he can't be too far wrong.

Not true -  at least not everywhere in Mayo. The county s most successful club in history hasn't had a minor panelist last 2 years. Same club had to ring around to try and field an u16 team for championship. Hammered at u14. How does this happen to a club with easily enough players for 2 teams u12. Probably lack of proper coaching a factor. Still relying on volunteer coaches. In other words pushy Daddies. That's where a bit of money comes in. We re losing young players like a drain.

Not possible the two best minor Mayo football teams I've ever seen are 2013 and 2014.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 15, 2014, 10:18:49 PM

Not possible the two best minor Mayo football teams I've ever seen are 2013 and 2014.

It s hard to tell with minor at county level and it remains to be seen if we get any senior players from these lots. But the current management have to be given credit.
Maybe your golfing mate was talking about teams representing the county underage? He s still wrong. Our u16 poor this year and our u21 unmentionable poor for some years.
Some important clubs have a problem underage with players quitting in droves.

Syferus

The 2014 team isn't better than the one that lost an AI final a few years ago, certainly not on this year's performances so far. Gilvarry has actually made moves that would make you think he was quite worried about this panel, but it's a testament to his management that they're in a position to make another AI final.

moysider

It s hard to tell with minor at county level and it remains to be seen if we get any senior players from these lots. But the current management have to be given credit.
Maybe your golfing mate was talking about teams representing the county underage? He s still wrong. Our u16 poor this year and our u21 unmentionable poor for some years.

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on August 15, 2014, 10:48:28 PM

New clubs replace old clubs. Same in Dublin. I wouldn't worry about that end of it. U16 county level is an anomaly anyway. Always lads missing during the summer when the competitions are played.

When you've crap minor teams I'd start to worry. And that certainly isn't the case.
You've had teams in the all ireland minor, all ireland senior and all ireland club finals. A crisis it isn't.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 15, 2014, 10:54:49 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 15, 2014, 10:48:28 PM

New clubs replace old clubs. Same in Dublin. I wouldn't worry about that end of it. U16 county level is an anomaly anyway. Always lads missing during the summer when the competitions are played.

When you've crap minor teams I'd start to worry. And that certainly isn't the case.
You've had teams in the all ireland minor, all ireland senior and all ireland club finals. A crisis it isn't.

No crisis no. But the new clubs replacing old not accurate either. Ballintubber and Breaffy have emerged strongly in recent years but cant be compared with likes of Crossmolina, Knockmore and Ballina that were capable of winning AIs.
Mayo is suffering from rural depopulation. Ballina will have more players available U12/U14 than many country clubs would have in - pick a number more than 10. The rural clubs amalgamate to give lads football - often in lower divisions. The urban club loses talented players hand over fist. I don t want to labour the point any further but it is an issue.
Mayo s recent senior and minor success is incidental. A football mad county we will always be competitive. Both highs can largely be attributed to respective management teams rather than any great plan. In recent times Mayo have gone from zero to almost hero in no time. Bit like putting a pub team together .85, 96, 2004, 2011.
Right now the clubs can t wait to see the back of Horan because they think the club scene would be better off without him. That s the shite we re dealing with.