Gaillimh v Ciarraí, Cluiche Ceathrú-Ceannais na hÉireann, Páirc a'Chrócaigh

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 29, 2014, 09:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicfada

Clarin Pearl

Galway badly need to get into Division 1. The speed of decision making was the primary killer today.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on August 03, 2014, 03:29:03 PM

I think Mulholland should stay on as manager.

That's the one good thing about this result from a Mayo perspective. Many Galway people will see this as a good performance and the media will be easy on them as well.

Syferus

Quote from: Clarin Pearl on August 03, 2014, 03:35:09 PM
Galway badly need to get into Division 1. The speed of decision making was the primary killer today.

Are ya havin' a laugh.

Galway can't put up an effective defence against almost anyone. It's much more than the speed of decision of making that's at play. Galway aren't and shouldn't be thinking about D1 football right now, they need to hone their craft and develop their players before worrying about that.

bcarrier

Paul Geaney is a Decent footballer. Nobody on RTE has noticed.

also David Moran must have given away more ball than any other player on pitch unnoticed by commentary team. he mixes some good stuff with what looks like a lack of concentration.

Clarin Pearl

Quote from: Syferus on August 03, 2014, 03:37:27 PM

Are ya havin' a laugh.

Galway can't put up an effective defence against almost anyone. It's much more than the speed of decision of making that's at play. Galway aren't and shouldn't be thinking about D1 football right now, they need to hone their craft and develop their players before worrying about that.

I'm sayin that 4-5 years in div2 is really showing.  Yes of course that includes learning their drills/skills properly in attack as well as defence. playing mayo/kerry et al only once a year isn't helping.

Syferus

Quote from: Clarin Pearl on August 03, 2014, 03:54:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 03, 2014, 03:37:27 PM

Are ya havin' a laugh.

I'm sayin that 4-5 years in div2 is really showing.  Yes of course that includes learning their drills/skills properly in attack as well as defence. playing mayo/kerry et al only once a year isn't helping.

I think going up to D1 at the wrong time can be more disastrous than not going up at all. Just look at what happened to the other maroon team this year - they lost every game and any momentum gained last year was totally destroyed by the league. Timing is everything.

GalwayBayBoy

A curate's egg of a year for Galway. Got to the last 8 which is good but the same old problem is there of conceding far too many scores at this level. I honestly don't think this team can progress under Mulholland. He hasn't a tactical bone in his body. Just look at the way he left Cillian O'Connor and James O'Donoghue to be isolated 1 on 1 for the entire 70 minutes of two games. Never even attempted to counteract it or to try something. Anything.

Faced with a blanket defence today he had Galway shuffling the ball back and across the field ad nausieum. No runners were coming off the shoulder to punch holes. Everything was static. When Galway got it back to 2 points mid way through the 2nd half you just wanted them to tighten it up a little. If anything they got even looser at the back with acres of space back there in front of the full-back line.

On the credit side Shane Walsh and Michael Lundy had good Summers. The two lads in midfield will keep improving and we had enough possession to win most games. Conroy had a bad day today but is a fine player. Who knows maybe Meehan and Sice will make a return next year?

This team has the potential to be very good in a couple of years time with a few tweaks here and there but until they implement some kind of defensive system and work on it for months and months on end they will always leak too many scores. Don't think Mulholland can do that.

cicfada

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2014, 03:35:21 PM

That's the one good thing about this result from a Mayo perspective. Many Galway people will see this as a good performance and the media will be easy on them as well.
Jaysus talk about insecure, worry about your own county first. Galway have an awful lot to do and most Galway folk know that. It's just a pity that players didn't believe today. O Donoghue is the only forward that Kerry have and he should have been double teamed!!

galwayman

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw from the stand just after throw in we were going man on man at the back.
Our fb line were miles behind their men all day long yet we never changed it.
Kerry got scores a lot more easily than we did.helped by all the space they had no doubt.
Also in ye second half we persisted with going back and over the field ad nauseum rather than letting any quick ball in.
There was a number of occasions where our lads were man on man in the ff line but rather than give a quick ball in we messed around out the field and gave Kerry the time to drop extra bodies back.

I believe Mulholland should go personally.
We are too naive under him.

Thought Lundy was excellent today

Captain Obvious

Potential is there however Galway have much improving to do they only reached today's quarter final by beating Tipperary if they had Armagh route at least they could say progress has been made. At no stage did Kerry look like losing that game the room they were given to play was extraordinary for this stage of the competition. A defensive system and long distance shooting are two things Galway must look at if they are to reach their potential.

From the Bunker

Quote from: cicfada on August 03, 2014, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 03, 2014, 03:35:21 PM

Jaysus talk about insecure, worry about your own county first. Galway have an awful lot to do and most Galway folk know that. It's just a pity that players didn't believe today. O Donoghue is the only forward that Kerry have and he should have been double teamed!!

I was talking about my own county. Have ye improved in the last 12 months? Mulholland staying on improves our (or Ros) chance of winning connacht next year. Ye have good (that could be great) footballers, but ye are tactically naive, a bit off conditioning wise and lack a bit of controlled nastiness.

prewtna

I'm amazed there isn't more of ye Galway lads having a stringer cut at Mulholland. He should be taking a serious amount of blame for today's Galway fiasco.

First things first, he set the team up with a 'blanket defence'. He obviously doesn't understand the first thing about what a blanket defence is or how it's supposed to work. the blanket defence relies on midfielders and half forwards doing a serious amount of running and he as a manager is supposed to teach them how to effectively fill space while the defenders can focus on marking their men. Certainly the half forwards came back to fill the space, but did it in such a way as to dilute the responsibility the defenders are supposed to take with the result that they were all standing around watching Kerry lads waltz thru more or less unchallenged. So then when he pulled those half forwards out of the defence at the start if second half, lo and behold it didn't make a bloody bit of difference to the defence (why? because they weren't contributing there anyway) but what happened? Galway came back into the game up front and made a game of it.

The other thing that the blanket defence is based on, is those same half forwards and midfielders breaking up field en-mass when they get the ball. How many time did we see 5 and 6 Galway men standing between their own 45 and halfway hands on hips while the poor buggers in the full forward line were being eaten alive by kerry men? It's no wonder they were shooting from out the country, they had no choice.

The other thing Mulholland needs to have a think about is the apparent lack of belief he seems to have in them galway lads. He didn't even set them up with a chance of winning. It appeared to be a keep the score down exercise from the start. if galway have any hope of progressing, it isnt with him, at the helm.

I don't like blanket defences, but if you choose to set your team up in one, fair enough, and if thats the case you need to commit to it fully. Basics are fill the spaces, stand an attacker up, then swarm on him, win possession, then break en-masse. Now either Mulholland doesn't understand that, or he doesn't appreciate the amount of running needed by the players to make that happen. The players for Galway are certainly good enough to play any system given to them, as,long as its clear from their manager, which it couldn't have been.

Anyway my sympathies to Galway, we have taken plenty a hiding from them Kerry hoors in the past. It's never a nice place to be.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: prewtna on August 03, 2014, 11:38:22 PM
I'm amazed there isn't more of ye Galway lads having a stringer cut at Mulholland. He should be taking a serious amount of blame for today's Galway fiasco.

I actually think a fair few have had a cut at him. I don't like blaming defeats solely on managers but I'm just constantly surprised by how unprepared he seems to have his teams. Especially at senior level. At underage there are very few tactics or systems anyway. That was a Kerry team that could easily have been beaten today. Even by this current Galway side had they had a modicum of belief and organisation.

I like the man but I find it difficult to see Galway progressing under him. And there is some very good talent there to work with. Albeit they need a year or two yet to fully mature.

Mulholland has blooded some very useful players. Micheal Lundy for example has been a revelation. Shane Walsh you can't give him credit for as a blind man could see Shane Walsh's talent. I am convinced though that he is not the man to take this young Galway side to the next level. Just my opinion.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: bcarrier on August 03, 2014, 03:41:36 PM
Paul Geaney is a Decent footballer. Nobody on RTE has noticed.

also David Moran must have given away more ball than any other player on pitch unnoticed by commentary team. he mixes some good stuff with what looks like a lack of concentration.
The media can only handle two or three topics at a time gleaned from callers to phone in shows, you cant expect them to be analyzing things.
Ironically if Galway had forwards they probably won that game