Gaillimh v Ciarraí, Cluiche Ceathrú-Ceannais na hÉireann, Páirc a'Chrócaigh

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 29, 2014, 09:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Kerry have yet to convince me they are capable of living with a really top team but Galway aren't there yet. Galway are certainly building again and by all accounts have talented young players coming through from recent minor teams but you'd have to fancy Kerry and it'll be interesting to see how the teams set up against each other.

moysider

Quote from: Canalman on July 30, 2014, 09:12:48 AM
All those players from the U21 winning teams do not just disappear. Galway as I keep saying are imo anyway the one county everyone should fear due to the surgical way they can strike when least expected.

You re joking right? When was the the last time Galway struck when least expected? Never in my time. Getting them confused with Mayo maybe who continually bounce back quickly after disastrous management.

I wouldn t pay much heed to U21. Mulholland won an U21 AI as a manager but has looked perplexed as a senior manager at times. Galway, with their borderschool tradition continue to produce good footballers, but not as good as at times in the past when Mayo borders showed them how to play - and Galway went on to reap the rewards ;).

I thought Galway looked a bit flaky v Sligo and Mayo. Galway have good footballers still but not as good as the Donnellans, Joyses and Meehans, Savages or Clancy. Not only were they technically A listers they were also leaders, mentally tough/physically tough and ambitious. They even managed to win  AI s with Johnno in charge :' ???

Syferus

Sure Galway already wasted one set of two AI U21 winning teams. It's all about having the right man at senior or all the good work at underage becomes a distant memory and a source of undue expectation. If Galway make a breakthrough they'll earn it like everyone else has to.

GalwayBayBoy

All those players from the U21 winning teams do not just disappear. Galway as I keep saying are imo anyway the one county everyone should fear due to the surgical way they can strike when least expected.

You've only annoyed some of the sensitive souls around here now. ;D

Listen when we are good enough we win All-Ireland's. Sin É.

When we are not good enough we are ordinary. Or just downright bad.

You wouldn't want to meet us in an All-Ireland final though. We usually win those. Never mention 83 ;)

GalwayBayBoy

On more important matters.

Galway team v Kerry

Tom Healy
Donal O'Neill
Finian Hanley
Joss Moore
Gareth Bradshaw
Gary O'Donnell
Paul Varley
Fiontain O'Curraoin
Tom Flynn
Michael Lundy
Shane Walsh
James Kavanagh
Michael Martin
Paul Conroy
Danny Cummins

Msgr. Horan

Joss Moore being back is a big help, should strengthen up the back line a bit.
I see Fitzmaurice is taking a leaf outta James Horans book and putting a third midfielder at 11, does O'Donnell follow him and leave a big hole in the middle or sit and defend and give him free reign.
Personally I'd like to see Mulhullond put the thinking cap on and tell Kavanagh to follow Sheehan and allow O'Donnell sweep across the CHB line and protect the full back line. If ye go man for man I cant see it working.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: moysider on August 01, 2014, 12:39:21 AM

You re joking right? When was the the last time Galway struck when least expected? Never in my time. Getting them confused with Mayo maybe who continually bounce back quickly after disastrous management.

I wouldn t pay much heed to U21. Mulholland won an U21 AI as a manager but has looked perplexed as a senior manager at times. Galway, with their borderschool tradition continue to produce good footballers, but not as good as at times in the past when Mayo borders showed them how to play - and Galway went on to reap the rewards ;).

I thought Galway looked a bit flaky v Sligo and Mayo. Galway have good footballers still but not as good as the Donnellans, Joyses and Meehans, Savages or Clancy. Not only were they technically A listers they were also leaders, mentally tough/physically tough and ambitious. They even managed to win  AI s with Johnno in charge :' ???

I like what you've tried to do here, you're pretending that you're not getting wound up by his comments but we all know he's rattled your cage  ;D

Naturally when you keep producing excellent U21 teams then the talent is coming through, the obvious problem is the transition taking them to the next level which we failed in 02 & 05.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 01, 2014, 03:17:26 AM

You wouldn't want to meet us in an All-Ireland final though. We usually win those. Never mention 83 ;)

or 71, 73 or 74. Ye have lost 5 of ye're last 7 AI Finals. God ye love ye're Myths!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2014, 01:40:15 PM

or 71, 73 or 74. Ye have lost 5 of ye're last 7 AI Finals. God ye love ye're Myths!

we've won 2 out of our last 3 or 5 out of last 10, you can twist statistics whichever way you want, even Mayo have won 3 out of their last 11  ;)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2014, 01:40:15 PM

Or won 5 of the last 10 if you just include just senior.

Or won 7 of the last 8 including senior, U-21 and minor.

Sure we can all try and skew stats to suit an argument. ;D

From the Bunker

Ah, the quote was that Galway usually win  finals. The reality is they lose as many!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2014, 02:27:55 PM
Ah, the quote was that Galway usually win  finals. The reality is they lose as many!

Don't get worked up by it. Life is too short.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 01, 2014, 02:36:00 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2014, 02:27:55 PM

Don't get worked up by it. Life is too short.

Agreed!  Hopefully ye get a long over due win in Croker on Sunday.

J OGorman