The adventures of Seanie, the cheeky chappy, happy go lucky Cork hurling hero

Started by Sidney, July 27, 2014, 01:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

Today threw into contrast the two sides of Cork GAA. We saw Donal Og O'Croinin in action today. A name and a player who, like fellow Cork football stalwarts Fachtna Hodnett, Tadhg Og Harrington and Jeremiah Jer O'Sullivan, perfectly sums up the tireless, frantic, passionate, yet ultimately lonely and futile nature of West Cork football-biased gaeldom. As honest as a June day is long, Donal Og O'Croinin does all the things that a manager would want. He loves training. He eats up the spuds, the steak, the fruit and the vegetables. He's a joy for a manager to work with. Donal Og O'Croinin will work his socks off for the Cork cause, but has a problem. He can't kick the ball properly. He is permanently destined to be on the end of 20 point thrashings by Kerry in Croke Park, because ultimately, like most of the rest of the Cork team, he's a carthorse.

And nobody in the parts of Cork where civilisation has touched cares.

Contrast that to his happy go lucky, cheeky chappy cornerboy Cork hurling equivalent, Seanie McCarthy/Horgan/Crowley/Mulcahy/O'Connor/O'Sullivan/O'Mahony, the streetwise, thin as a whippet, cute as a hoor corner forward from the backstreets of Mayfield. Seanie hates training, rarely ate his dinner as a kid because he preferred crisps, never grew much, but loves the Glen, loves Ringy, loves Jimmy Barry, loves an 'oul bag of chips and a Mars bar and still likes to play an odd game of marbles or conkers, when he's not wrecking his teeth on gobstoppers. And he loves Liverpool, glorying in his nickname of "Suarez".

Seanie's razor sharp wit makes him great craic, a real joker, a rogue, liked by everybody, loved, even, especially the girls. He's a real Northsider, city to the core, a charmer. If he was a comic book character, he'd be Sidney from the Bash Street Kids. But rarely has there been a poacher to match him. You'll recognise Seanie from the knowing grin on his face as hangs around the goal whistling "The Boys of Fairhill", waiting to pounce on a mistake by a defender, and boy does he pounce when the mistake inevitably comes, as his four All-Ireland medals shows.

Seanie never gets nervous before matches. Seanie's all about the fun of it. Seanie loves to play to the Cork crowd, particularly the ones on the Town End in Thurles. He loves Thurles. He loves a sneaky smoke after a match and is always good for a quote for Jim Carney in the dressing-room after an All-Ireland victory, followed by an 'oul nod, a wink and a grin.

Seanie is proof that an ounce of breeding will always beat a ton of feeding.

Stay tuned for some adventures with Seanie**.

*There's also a fat Seanie who's just as the same as skinny Seanie, except that he's fat.

**There may be no adventures with Seanie.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Sidney on July 27, 2014, 01:20:54 AM
Today threw into contrast the two sides of Cork GAA. We saw Donal Og O'Croinin in action today. A name and a player who, like fellow Cork football stalwarts Fachtna Hodnett, Tadhg Og Harrington and Jeremiah Jer O'Sullivan, perfectly sums up the tireless, frantic, passionate, yet ultimately lonely and futile nature of West Cork football-biased gaeldom. As honest as a June day is long, Donal Og O'Croinin does all the things that a manager would want. He loves training. He eats up the spuds, the steak, the fruit and the vegetables. He's a joy for a manager to work with. Donal Og O'Croinin will work his socks off for the Cork cause, but has a problem. He can't kick the ball properly. He is permanently destined to be on the end of 20 point thrashings by Kerry in Croke Park, because ultimately, like most of the rest of the Cork team, he's a carthorse.

Contrast that to his happy go lucky, cheeky chappy cornerboy Cork hurling equivalent, Seanie McCarthy/Horgan/Crowley/Mulcahy/O'Connor/O'Sullivan/O'Mahony, the streetwise, thin as a whippet, cute as a hoor corner forward from the backstreets of Mayfield. Seanie hates training, rarely ate his dinner as a kid because he preferred crisps, never grew much, but loves the Glen, loves Ringy, loves Jimmy Barry, loves an 'oul bag of chips and a Mars bar and still likes to play an odd game of marbles or conkers, when he's not wrecking his teeth on gobstoppers. And he loves Liverpool, glorying in his nickname of "Suarez".

Seanie's razor sharp wit makes him great craic, a real joker, a rogue, liked by everybody, loved, even, especially the girls. He's a real Northsider, city to the core, a charmer. If he was a comic book character, he'd be Sidney from the Bash Street Kids. But rarely has there been a poacher to match him. You'll recognise Seanie from the knowing grin on his face as hangs around the goal whistling "The Boys of Fairhill", waiting to pounce on a mistake by a defender, and boy does he pounce when the mistake inevitably comes, as his four All-Ireland medals shows.

Seanie never gets nervous before matches. Seanie's all about the fun of it. Seanie loves to play to the Cork crowd, particularly the ones on the Town End in Thurles. He loves Thurles. He loves a sneaky smoke after a match and is always good for a quote for Jim Carney in the dressing-room after an All-Ireland victory, followed by an 'oul nod, a wink and a grin.

*There's also a fat Seanie who's just as the same as skinny Seanie, except that he's fat.

your taste in humour is as shit as your grasp of geopolitics

trileacman

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 27, 2014, 02:30:54 PM
Quote from: Sidney on July 27, 2014, 01:20:54 AM

f**k off.

I enjoyed that, beats the standard WUM-ing that usually passes for entertainment round here.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Sidney

Hi Mike. I have no problem with you saying I've a shit sense of humour.

But don't ever, ever, disrespect my grasp of geopolitics again, as I have a degree in both geography and politics. or as I like to call it, polraphy. If you do that again, I'll hunt you down in real life and throw an egg at your house, and if that's not a threat, I don't know what is.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Sidney on July 28, 2014, 12:46:33 AM

Hi Mike. I have no problem with you saying I've a shit sense of humour.

But don't ever, ever, disrespect my grasp of geopolitics again, as I have a degree in both geography and politics. or as I like to call it, polraphy. If you do that again, I'll hunt you down in real life and throw an egg at your house, and if that's not a threat, I don't know what is.

It wasn't shit. I was just having a go. I apologize and take it back.......Carry on.

I still disagree with you on geopolitics.

seafoid

Sidney

Give this crowd a shout

http://www.rentokil.com/

I presume Seanie went to North Mon and won Harty cup under Brother Jer Harrington who noticed his talent in an under 12 match in the Mardyke against Beamish and Crawford u12s . The first time he was in the city after a lifetime spent in Imokilly milking cows and pucking the ball up against the gable wall of John Fenton's house .

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sidney

Quote from: seafoid on July 28, 2014, 01:29:54 PM
Sidney

Give this crowd a shout

http://www.rentokil.com/

I presume Seanie went to North Mon and won Harty cup under Brother Jer Harrington who noticed his talent in an under 12 match in the Mardyke against Beamish and Crawford u12s . The first time he was in the city after a lifetime spent in Imokilly milking cows and pucking the ball up against the gable wall of John Fenton's house .
The word "North" is superfluous. It's simply "The Mon".

Seanie missed out on one Harty victory (he returned the following year to take his place on the team that retained the title) after being suspended for being caught bushing it* by Brother Toddy on the school grounds with a group that included, amongst others, the younger brother of the lead singer of The Sultans of Ping FC. In fact the song "Where's Me Jumper" was written about a prank that Seanie played where he stole the school jumper of the same lad. Seanie gave the jumper back in the end though - while he loves a prank, there's never any nastiness to them.

*A Cork colloquialism for drinking alcohol outdoors.