Maigh Eo v Corcaigh, 1600, 3ú Lúnasa, Páirc an Crocaigh

Started by macdanger2, July 27, 2014, 12:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Cahill was first picked by Jacko in 1993. Nallen in 1995 IIRC.

As for Cork. I have never seen a Cork team that feared Mayo. But reading the above I have now seen a Cork Management team that is already looking for excuses.

Cork have enough good players to win this on their own, but if it comes down to the sideline, we are miles ahead.
MWWSI 2017

highorlow

QuoteCork have enough good players to win this on their own

We are far ahead of them in terms of fitness, pace and physicality, that will be the difference in this game, not forgetting our midfield dominance.

I don't understand some posters saying we are not giving Cork respect. f**k that, respect doesn't win games, it's time our supporters started going into games with a similar confidence that Cork themselves had in their prime. We have no reason not to.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Fuzzman

I'll be in Westport on Sat with a group of Dubs so will hopefully be in some pub somewhere watching it.
Will be supporting Mayo of course

Looking for a bed for the night as I was a late addition to their trip. As you'd imagine everywhere is booked up ages ago.

Go home ref

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 30, 2014, 12:01:41 PM

Will be supporting Mayo of course

Looking for a bed for the night
Have you no shame ?  :D

Fuzzman

Nope
Never had.
That's why I'll be wearing my Tyrone shirt playing football with a bunch of Dubs in Mayo this weekend

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2014, 10:53:04 AM
Sure that was what I m saying. Came from nowhere. No years of team building involved at all. That s exactly the point I was making.

Then I'm confused, I dont know that I'd call it building a team just because it takes more than one year, I dont think Mulholland is ramping up, hes flatlining

The other side is that Horan could be described as building up, improving each year, similiar to McGuinness and Gavin
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

armaghniac

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 30, 2014, 12:50:04 PM
The other side is that Horan could be described as building up, improving each year, similiar to McGuinness and Gavin

I think McGuiness built more quickly, in 2 years from zero (v Armagh)  to hero (AI champs).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

highorlow

Mayo -2 at EVENS has to be the GAA bet of the year so far?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

muppet

Given that the Cork management has probably added 3 or 4 points to our score line I would agree. If we respond like we did to McGuinness last year it could be more.
MWWSI 2017

mayoman dan

Any team news for Mayo? Is Cunniffe out? I dont think we can start both Andy and Dillon i would go with Andy from the start and have Dillon when the game slows down a bit.Freeman in for Dillon would be my only change from the Galway game.

moysider

Unless Cuniffe is good to resume I d go with the same starting 15 again. I think we ll  have to try and get a lead with the starters and hope we can hold on. 

Tubberman

God Moy, I don't know about that. Mayo don't really 'hold on' too well. I'd prefer to be pulling away in the last 15 rather than watching a lead be reeled in. "Wouldn't we all" says you, but this Mayo squad are good enough to be looking to pull away rather than hang on.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on July 30, 2014, 11:33:31 PM
God Moy, I don't know about that. Mayo don't really 'hold on' too well. I'd prefer to be pulling away in the last 15 rather than watching a lead be reeled in. "Wouldn't we all" says you, but this Mayo squad are good enough to be looking to pull away rather than hang on.

Are we? I m talking about against the likes of Donegal, Dublin and Kerry in particular. Hopefully we get by Cork but not as bullish about that as some. I don t believe we have the forwards numbers  but maybe we can do it another way.

Donegal are back to 2012 level. If they re ahead down the stretch they don t give it up. No amount of Andys and Dillons being introduced would change that. We had 55mins to chase a game against them in 2012 and couldn t make any inroads. You beat Donegal from in front.

Dublin can only be beaten by a frontrunner as well imo. They will counteract any impact from Andy and Dillon with impact forwards of their own - at a time when they could be in command because their starting forwards would be much better than ours. We just held on in 2012 semi but that was an avoidable collapse. If Donegal can close out a 3 point game surely at this stage we can close out an 11/12 point game. Not that I expect we will have that luxury again against the likes of Dubs but ye know what I mean.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 31, 2014, 12:02:24 AM

Are we? I m talking about against the likes of Donegal, Dublin and Kerry in particular. Hopefully we get by Cork but not as bullish about that as some. I don t believe we have the forwards numbers  but maybe we can do it another way.

Donegal are back to 2012 level. If they re ahead down the stretch they don t give it up. No amount of Andys and Dillons being introduced would change that. We had 55mins to chase a game against them in 2012 and couldn t make any inroads. You beat Donegal from in front.

Dublin can only be beaten by a frontrunner as well imo. They will counteract any impact from Andy and Dillon with impact forwards of their own - at a time when they could be in command because their starting forwards would be much better than ours. We just held on in 2012 semi but that was an avoidable collapse. If Donegal can close out a 3 point game surely at this stage we can close out an 11/12 point game. Not that I expect we will have that luxury again against the likes of Dubs but ye know what I mean.

A good imitation of it, yeah, but if would take a herculean effort if they are to ever play ye this year and honestly ye'll be delighted if you make the final and find it's not Dublin there waiting for you. Mayo's attack and midfield have basically been what they've been for the last two seasons. What is worrying is the defence.

For a team that looked so veracious and was pressing and forcing turnovers high up the field last year they've looked decidedly shakey this season and there hasn't even been many injuries to blame (one of Barrett and Cunniffe were injured or unavailable pretty much all season but each are similarly talented players and only one of them was going to start with Higgins back in the corner anyways). Cork would be a good time to roll back the clock because even beating Kerry may be impossible if the concession rate remains as high as it has been.

I heard Adam Gallagher is injured, not that he was going to feature.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2014, 12:15:40 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 31, 2014, 12:02:24 AM

A good imitation of it, yeah, but if would take a herculean effort if they are to ever play ye this year and honestly ye'll be delighted if you make the final and find it's not Dublin there waiting for you. Mayo's attack and midfield have basically been what they've been for the last two seasons. What is worrying is the defence.

For a team that looked so veracious and was pressing and forcing turnovers high up the field last year they've looked decidedly shakey this season and there hasn't even been many injuries to blame (one of Barrett and Cunniffe were injured or unavailable pretty much all season but each are similarly talented players and only one of them was going to start with Higgins back in the corner anyways). Cork would be a good time to roll back the clock because even beating Kerry may be impossible if the concession rate remains as high as it has been.

I heard Adam Gallagher is injured, not that he was going to feature.

Good housekeeping can address defensive issues. Mayo have some of the best defenders about, even among the forwards. Kevin Mac is probably the best corner back in the Mayo panel. Cillian O Connor's first defensive work rate is brilliant - cue the langers whinging about him in particular. The reason we ve been shaky Sy is our lack of respect for possession in a lot of our games. The amount of 'unnecessary' turnovers v Galway approached 30 and largely explained Galway s respectably score on the day.When we should have been killing them we coughed up soft ball and our backs were exposed several times by silliness in possession. I m hoping that will be reduced by 70% the next day and we will be in business. But if that turnover rate continues we haven t much future. I expect that will have been sorted though. That s the easy bit. I don t get your concern about the defence. It was our forward limitations that did for us last 2 years. As well as tactically being raw on the big day as well.