Maigh Eo v Corcaigh, 1600, 3ú Lúnasa, Páirc an Crocaigh

Started by macdanger2, July 27, 2014, 12:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Ending of the game had me thinking that referee's decisions/ incidents etc tend to even themselves out over time.

Similiar endings in

AISF 2010 Dublin v Cork ......... Dublin "aggrieved"

AIF 2013 Dublin v Mayo ........... Mayo "aggrieved"

AIQF 2014 Mayo v Cork ............ Cork "aggrieved"

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 04, 2014, 03:49:42 PM
Also very disappointed in the every cork lad going down holding their face/head after the slightest challenge, although they were well able to go in late themselves.
KMcL yellow was one explain, a fair shoulder and Gould (I think) rolling round on the ground

Steady, as good as AOSE is hes one of the biggest divers in the game currently

Syferus

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 04, 2014, 04:28:51 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 04, 2014, 03:49:42 PM
Also very disappointed in the every cork lad going down holding their face/head after the slightest challenge, although they were well able to go in late themselves.
KMcL yellow was one explain, a fair shoulder and Gould (I think) rolling round on the ground

Steady, as good as AOSE is hes one of the biggest divers in the game currently

He's one of the biggest everythings.

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2014, 12:21:35 PM
The only positves are, we won, and beat the biggest shower of w*nkers we are likely to meet this year.

If it looked on tv that the officials favoured Cork, that could only have been becuase the camera didn't pick up their off ball activity. Even we we fall to Kerry, I am just delighted that we picked ourselves up  and outplayed Cadogen and co, and consigned him to many months of no football, although he probably won't notice.

It is also worth mentioning, we will not win an All-Ireland with our current eccentric sideline.

But credit where it is due, the lads dug very deep. and pulled another tight game out of the bag.

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Comeontheturks on August 04, 2014, 02:54:13 PM
Watching the match yesterday, reading today's papers and following threads on these boards. Paints a very clear picture of 2 contrasting counties.
What are Mayo good at?  Whinging, unsporting behaviour (refusing handshake), beating second rate teams, getting high on beating second rate teams.
What are Kerry good at? Winning All Ireland's

I'm glad you noticed Cork were second rate and we are not talking about their football! ;)

Farrandeelin

Glad we won. Great to bate Cork. Haven't a hope in hell in 3 wks time.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 04, 2014, 09:22:38 PM

Ever the optimist Farr! Look we have a better chance than we have ever had of beating Kerry. This is not Kerry Circa 2004-09! There a few from that era left, but they are not the players they were then. I'm not taking anything for granted but we are as close to this Kerry bunch in ability as we were to the teams of 1996/97. Haven't a hope in hell is a bit of an exaggeration.

Lar Naparka

Musha, fair play Farr. You've made my day (or night or whatever.)
I was feeling a biteen windy until you gave us the usual thumbs down verdict.
Now I know we'll bate the hoors halfway up Jones Road! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sans pessimism

Gud man farr,great to see a man stick to his guns 8)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

That's the spirit. If I even detected a sign of optimism I wouldn t bother gettin outa bed for the Kerry game.

Great to bate them as you say. Highlight for me was Aidan bursting by Cadogan and leaving him for dead. Great to see a bully get left. I ve admired many a Cork player down the years and knew a couple of them but I find this team hard to take, apart from the brilliance of Hurley and O Neill. Losing yesterday would have been worse than any AI defeat with the shite talk before the game and incidents like the elbow on McLoughlin and the swinging fist into Boyle's neck.

Also delighted another team adopting a blanket defence did not succeed. Looks like only ourselves and Dubs of teams that are left that don t. While I have my doubts about our defensive strategy I d hate to see every team play the same counter-attacking game. Another reason important to win yesterday.

Moving on I wouldn t be confident either. We could beat Kerry but on the other hand we may not. Cork should have been finished in 3 quarter yesterday but we let them back in (manager has to take the hit here) like we let Dublin back in in 2012 semi. I ve given up thinking that Horan will adapt his tactics a bit. We re on this rollercoaster until it comes off the rails. There s no other way now. So if things go to form we could dominate kerry in many aspects of the game but leave it open for likes of O Donoghue to fillet us. If he fails Murphy or Brogan will be invited to have a few free punches 3 weeks later.

No harm. Proud of the team yesterday and last 4 years. Yesterday was a day a lot of counties would kill for.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on August 04, 2014, 11:45:19 PM
Also delighted another team adopting a blanket defence did not succeed. Looks like only ourselves and Dubs of teams that are left that don t. While I have my doubts about our defensive strategy I d hate to see every team play the same counter-attacking game. Another reason important to win yesterday.
From yesterdays viewing Cork are unable to play a blanket defence right. What happened to high pressure and all round defensive team strategy you had before this year? sailing close to the wind is the current Mayo defensive strategy.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 05, 2014, 12:04:03 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 04, 2014, 11:45:19 PM
From yesterdays viewing Cork are unable to play a blanket defence right. What happened to high pressure and all round defensive team strategy you had before this year? sailing close to the wind is the current Mayo defensive strategy.

Cork got the defence a lot better v us than they did with Kerry. Plus they kept the ball from their own kickouts and worked many chances from length of the pitch. Mayo forwards continue to give away ball to these counter- attacking teams. This is our biggest failing - not our defenders as individuals. It should be easy enough to address but hasn t been.

I don t see any change in our defensive strategy at all and I don t know where this idea is coming from.

We don t/haven t  play blanket and because we often have most possession we often have 10/11 players in opposition half. Under the circumstances our markers have been remarkably resilient ( see yesterday how Finian Hanley lost the plot when handed a top forward without any cover).

Mayo s defence starts in the forwards. Cuthbert recognised this and tried to mark refs card. Mayo forwards try to turn over ball and often do. People that don t like us call it systematic fouling. It isn t. Likes of Doherty or O Connor are often pissed off because they are trying to win back ball without fouling. In any contact sport some tackles will be a foul. But that doesn t mean that players should be carded if they get a few tackles wrong. Cards are for deliberate fouls and dangerous stuff like Cadogan splitting with elbow or punch into windpipe. Doherty had great tackles yesterday and yes a few were fouls. Referees should be left to decide which is which without managers trying to ref a game in advance.

We might be conceding more but who isn t without parking a bus like Cork did yesterday and Kerry have been doing? Look I know how vulnerable we are at the back but can t see management change tack now. I d prefer a proper xtra defender to cut out ball into likes of Hurley O Donoghue etc. I d also prefer 2 man ff line but don t think we have the personnel to set up that way.

I heard that Vaughan would start in midfield v Cork. Grand, I thought, Barry will go ff to give us a target above the blanket and Andy will come into it later. Barry did not feature at all and that does not make sense unless the big man was injured. Just saying that while Mayo s approach appears bogged down and limited to an extent, there may be a bit of tinkering can be done while there is still time. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: Canalman on August 04, 2014, 04:17:13 PM
Ending of the game had me thinking that referee's decisions/ incidents etc tend to even themselves out over time.

Similiar endings in

AISF 2010 Dublin v Cork ......... Dublin "aggrieved"

AIF 2013 Dublin v Mayo ........... Mayo "aggrieved"

AIQF 2014 Mayo v Cork ............ Cork "aggrieved"

There ia alot of evening out for us Mayo Buckos. We are well in Credit!

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: dublin7 on August 04, 2014, 11:53:03 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 04, 2014, 10:38:18 AM
I thought the ref rode us yesterday. Everytime we won a kick out we were fouled, systematic.
And the amount if frees given away in our half forward line for nothing!
Thought DOC was outstanding for the first hour, kinda died then

I feel sorry for Caff, he gets isolated a lot

Varley, WTF??

I'm soory i'm confused by your username.  You claim the ref screwd you, yet you have a cork username.  Systematic fouling was done by the mayo forwards throughout the game.  Mayo made some bizarre substitutions during the game.  Taking off Cillian O'Connor was a crazy decison.  He is the only mayo forward who offers a consistent scoring threat.  No forward presence when he went off yesterday.  Mayo have a good first fifteen, but very little on the bench.  Mikey Conroy is not even a distant relation of the standard required an inter county forward

Do I? Must fix that
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me