Linkedin and Local SEO

Started by pullhard, July 19, 2014, 01:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

Work has demanded that we get a company presence on Linkedin to hopefully generate some leads and new business. I have been tasked with getting it up and running.

I'm still quite new to Linkedin but have managed to set up a company page. However having done some reading we could do with having more followers/likes to stimulate some debate and clicks on the homepage. Does anyone have any experience of using Linkedin for companies? Any tips? Warnings? Advice? All gratefully heeded

Next up is the use of google and local SEO. Any success stories?

I'm only to aware they these can be very powerful but can also be a massive drain on time and resources.

Syferus

SEO being a drain on time a resources? It's basically a case of making sure the meta info in the HTML of each page is relevant and uses the keywords you want to return your business when someone searches on Google. Page titles and meta descriptions obviously also need to be clear and concise for good search results.

It's pretty straight-forward honestly, but it isn't the silver bullet some people seem to think it is. Even good SEO isn't going to magically make you top five on Google. It takes time.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: pullhard on July 19, 2014, 01:12:56 PM
Work has demanded that we get a company presence on Linkedin to hopefully generate some leads and new business. I have been tasked with getting it up and running.

I'm still quite new to Linkedin but have managed to set up a company page. However having done some reading we could do with having more followers/likes to stimulate some debate and clicks on the homepage. Does anyone have any experience of using Linkedin for companies? Any tips? Warnings? Advice? All gratefully heeded

Next up is the use of google and local SEO. Any success stories?

I'm only to aware they these can be very powerful but can also be a massive drain on time and resources.

For the part in bold you are better off with a facebook page to generate more interest in your company, the LinkedIn page will be more for people trying to sell to you looking for contact info and colleagues looking for leads/info/advice. The facebook page will be for your customers or potential customers to get a brief view of your company and its operations which will then lead them to your webpage or vice versa.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

imtommygunn

Would LinkedIn not be more useful for getting contacts of buyers in other companies?

Talking to a guy recently who reckoned that LinkedIn has limited sales guys usefulness. New sales guys bring new contacts but you can get them through LinkedIn he reckons.

pullhard

Execellent Facebook and twitter are the next phases of my plan!

How about getting up the google rankings?

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: pullhard on July 19, 2014, 11:18:19 PM

Facebook would be better over twitter IMO just because your potential clients want to see your company/products/service with pics or videos than reading about it...people are more visual. If you look up O'neils facebook site they show their products/specials and hold contests. They also have their customers talking good or bad about their products were they can interact with their customers, that's what you want.

Google rankings would be your IT department or research how that works, I am sure there is plenty of people on here who would be of help...not my area of expertise.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

pullhard

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on July 19, 2014, 11:35:33 PM
Quote from: pullhard on July 19, 2014, 11:18:19 PM

Facebook would be better over twitter IMO just because your potential clients want to see your company/products/service with pics or videos than reading about it...people are more visual. If you look up O'neils facebook site they show their products/specials and hold contests. They also have their customers talking good or bad about their products were they can interact with their customers, that's what you want.

Google rankings would be your IT department or research how that works, I am sure there is plenty of people on here who would be of help...not my area of expertise.

Im not sure that will work for my company, in financial services, we don't sell anything on our website. Instead we want folk to call the office or complete an online form.

Getting up the google rankings for local searches would be great, E.G. financial services liverpool, financial services Manchester, financial services Chester....

IF any

93-DY-SAM

There is a bit more to search engine optimisation than a stuffing keywords in page text and HTML meta tags. You'll find countless SEO "experts" about the place but in my experience very few of them actually know what they are at and give the industry a bad name.

As has been said before, there is no single magic bullet in getting your site to the top of Google search engine listings and it's a combination of many different things including time. The Google search engine is extremely clever and it knows when you are trying to short cut the system or you are using dubious techniques and they will actually penalise you. You'll see plenty of sites about that were designed for search engines first and people second which provide a horrible user experience.

My advice is to do a bit of research first so you can understand some of the basics, then speak to a few SEO experts so at least you'll be able to work out which ones are the bullsh*tters.

PS other search engines are available ;)
PPS for what it's worth in my opinion LinkedIn is a complete load of sh1te

93-DY-SAM

One of the best things you can do for SEO is create a blog and starting blogging your view on whatever industry you are in. This will create regular content specific to your business and help you stand out as an authority. Search engines love regular fresh content as long as it relates to your business. There is no point copying and pasting this from else where as the search engines will spot this a mile away and penalise you for it. Rather it needs to be written by you. It can be your take on an article on another site for example.

Also you need to do this regularly, once a month for example is not going to do you any good. If the crawlers can see you are putting effort into your site and providing useful content you'll start to reap the rewards. But remember this is just one piece in a bigger jigsaw and it won't happen over night.