iol.ie

Started by Hardy, July 16, 2014, 12:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

My email address is @iol.ie. Yesterday, I found I couldn't receive emails, though I could send them. Incoming mail server down, presumably.

I called my ISP, Eircom. "We can't help you," they said. "Vodafone supports the iol.ie server. We did hear there was somethning wrong with iol.ie today."

So I decided they're probably on it - I'll wait and see if it comes back.

This morning, it's back, but no emails from yesterday are on the server. I'm just receiving new emails today. So I called Vodafone support, 1907. But I can't get through their service wall, as I'm not a customer any more and my phone number isn't recognised.

So I'm a customer of Vodafone for email whether I like it or not. But not as far as they're concerned. And there's a bunch of emails people sent me yesterday that I didn't and probably won't ever see.

Any ideas?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Hardy on July 16, 2014, 12:16:26 PM
My email address is @iol.ie. Yesterday, I found I couldn't receive emails, though I could send them. Incoming mail server down, presumably.

I called my ISP, Eircom. "We can't help you," they said. "Vodafone supports the iol.ie server. We did hear there was somethning wrong with iol.ie today."

This morning, it's back, but no emails from yesterday are on the server. I'm just receiving new emails today. So I called Vodafone support, 1907. But I can't get through their service wall, as I'm not a customer any more and my phone number isn't recognised.

So I'm a customer of Vodafone for email whether I like it or not. But not as far as they're concerned. And there's a bunch of emails people sent me yesterday that I didn't and probably won't ever see.

Any ideas?

Hardy, me too.

E-mails went down at lunchtime yesterday and came back about 10am this morning (but not the various e-mails that various people rang me yesterday afternoon to tell me had bounced back).

If you are still in diffs, ring 1 800 924 025 then press option 3 and then option 2.

Apparently, iol.ie is looked after by BT Systems as a "legacy" issue.

Best of luck.

Cloot

clootfromthe21

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on July 16, 2014, 12:32:53 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 16, 2014, 12:16:26 PM

Any ideas?

Hardy, me too.

E-mails went down at lunchtime yesterday and came back about 10am this morning (but not the various e-mails that various people rang me yesterday afternoon to tell me had bounced back).

If you are still in diffs, ring 1 800 924 025 then press option 3 and then option 2.

Apparently, iol.ie is looked after by BT Systems as a "legacy" issue.

Best of luck.

Cloot

Sorry meant to type 1 800 924 925

Boycey

Its possible you will also have to be vodafone customer to register for their forums but thats what I always use to solve any issues I have. The forums are constantly monitered by a couple of customercare agents who will usually are pretty helpful and prompt too.

Hardy

Thanks, all. One way or the other, yesterday's emails are lost. At least the senders got an "undelivered" notification.

Hardy

I've just called that number Cloot posted. I got a fast response. They simply confirmed that yesterday's emails are gone, as I assumed, since they're not on the server.

Thanks, Cloot. It is good to know there's a route to support.

Premier Emperor

iol.ie
1995 rang to say it wants its internet domain back!

Shamrock Shore

Jazes Hardy.

Too true about 1995 wanting its email address back.

Would you not spend a few bob and get your own domain.

hardy@hardyarse.ie would cost about 40 lids per annum and you won't get anymore emails about mickey extensions or Nigerian generals.

foxcommander

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 16, 2014, 02:35:18 PM
iol.ie
1995 rang to say it wants its internet domain back!

Can you upgrade to the 56k model in Meath or are the lines ready yet?

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

armaghniac

Some of yous Meath ones are probably still on Internet-Eireann.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Very good lads. Those of us who had heard about the internet before the black card, alcohol-free driving and the epic absence of Garth Brooks do tend to have venerable email addresses. I have more addresses/domains/hangouts than I can shake a poxy server at, but the iol.ie is the one by which my followers, devotees and hangers on find me and I don't fancy the hassle of changing it.

The rest of yez can get me at hardy@kissmyarse.com.

Syferus

Real men get Gmail and forward old e-mail addresses to it.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on July 16, 2014, 03:10:11 PM
Very good lads. Those of us who had heard about the internet before the black card, alcohol-free driving and the epic absence of Garth Brooks do tend to have venerable email addresses. I have more addresses/domains/hangouts than I can shake a poxy server at, but the iol.ie is the one by which my followers, devotees and hangers on find me and I don't fancy the hassle of changing it.

The rest of yez can get me at hardy@kissmyarse.com.

Do you still use Nobber 5 as your phone number?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ardal

It's weird I've been using gmail for so long I can't even open a new account, but if I remember correctly you shouldn't be able to have the user names; "jesus christ" or "god", as I think I've both of these.

How often are you in contact with God / Christ?