Tom Flynn
Michael Lundy
Shane Walsh
James Kavanagh
Michael Martin
Paul Conroy
Danny Cummins

Tipp are unchanged.

Great to see Moore back but disappointed to see Comer & Hoare drop out.

Starting to worry about the game now, I've no faith in AM to implement any sort of tactical plan to beat an organised team.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 25, 2014, 03:08:49 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 24, 2014, 09:24:54 PM
Galway team

Tomas Healy
Donal O'Neill
Finian Hanley
Joss Moore
Gareth Bradshaw
Gary O'Donnell
Paul Varley
Fiontain O'Curraoin
Tom Flynn
Michael Lundy
Shane Walsh
James Kavanagh
Michael Martin
Paul Conroy
Danny Cummins

Tipp are unchanged.

Starting to worry about the game now, I've no faith in AM to implement any sort of tactical plan to beat an organised team.

Alan to win at the weekend and give Kerry a surprisingly good rattle and then keep his job.

8)

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on July 25, 2014, 02:21:40 PM
Well in fairness Breathnachs kickouts have consistently been a problem. Anybody who has been to a reasonable amount of Galway league and championship games over the past two seasons will have seen that. And kick outs are a huge element in the modern game.
This is an extremely difficult game to call.

Agree completely with you on the kick-outs, as I previously stated here after the Mayo game they were the clearest indicator of the gap between the two sides in terms of planning, given that the days of lumping the ball from a kick-out as far and as high as possible are now gone from the game it is now the single most important skill for any goalie to excel at.

How much of this is down to Breathnach not being able to carry out a plan versus Alan Mulholland not actually having a strategy in place for them will only be seen tomorrow night.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2014, 03:13:24 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 25, 2014, 03:08:49 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 24, 2014, 09:24:54 PM
Galway team

Tomas Healy
Donal O'Neill
Finian Hanley
Joss Moore
Gareth Bradshaw
Gary O'Donnell
Paul Varley
Fiontain O'Curraoin
Tom Flynn
Michael Lundy
Shane Walsh
James Kavanagh
Michael Martin
Paul Conroy
Danny Cummins

Tipp are unchanged.

Alan to win at the weekend and give Kerry a surprisingly good rattle and then keep his job.

8)

That's what your hoping.

Just don't see it under AM, its one step forwards one step backwards. Any sort if improvement thus year is down to improvements in individuals but collectively were as much as a shambles as last year. He's had 12 months to work on a strategy that makes us a more difficult opponent yet we still concede 3-14 against Mayo and it should have been at least 5 goals.

DJGaliv

I appreciate his kickouts have been questionable at times but I don't understand changing horse midstream.
It doesn't help defence to settle by chopping and changing your keeper.

If problems all through season then why just now to make the change?
I wouldn't solely blame Breathnach for our performance against mayo. Who was winning breaking ball? Didn't see many runs that were bypassed by him for a big lump down the middle.

Ah well, we will get behind the lads and see how it goes. Very hard game to call

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 25, 2014, 03:26:07 PM
Well in fairness Breathnachs kickouts have consistently been a problem. Anybody who has been to a reasonable amount of Galway league and championship games over the past two seasons will have seen that. And kick outs are a huge element in the modern game.

Agree completely with you on the kick-outs, as I previously stated here after the Mayo game they were the clearest indicator of the gap between the two sides in terms of planning, given that the days of lumping the ball from a kick-out as far and as high as possible are now gone from the game it is now the single most important skill for any goalie to excel at.

How much of this is down to Breathnach not being able to carry out a plan versus Alan Mulholland not actually having a strategy in place for them will only be seen tomorrow night.

On average a goalie will have 27 possessions a game between kick outs and balls dropped short, think Cluxton in last years final only failed on two occasions to find his own player with his kick outs. Breathnach's kicking just sums AM up, it seems to be just aim for FOC and hope for the best. 

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 25, 2014, 03:41:36 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 25, 2014, 03:26:07 PM

On average a goalie will have 27 possessions a game between kick outs and balls dropped short, think Cluxton in last years final only failed on two occasions to find his own player with his kick outs. Breathnach's kicking just sums AM up, it seems to be just aim for FOC and hope for the best. 

Personally I thought there was no plan whatsoever in place in the Sligo and Mayo games bar, as you say, aim at O'Curraoin and see what happens.
It worked in the Sligo match due to the ineptness of the Sligo midfield but we all saw what happened in MacHale Park when Mayo had a clear POA for kick-outs, I wouldn't have had Breathnach at fault (unless it really was his decision to take 30 seconds over every one) but we'll see tomorrow if there's any improvement.

hairyUlsterman

I think Galway will win this hence why I'm putting all my £300 previous bet winnings on them, the odds are too good.

rodney trotter

Tipperary played Galway last in the qualifiers so they will be familiar enough. Galway won that game by 4pts in Pearse Stadium,  this game is in a neutral venue.Tipperary have pushed on from last year getting promoted and running Cork close in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Hammered Longford and had a comfortable win against Laois. O Riordan a good addition for them this year, still 18. Fancy Tipp to win.

Captain Obvious

The leakage of four goals against Laois should be a cause of concern for Tipperary. Galway scored 0-16 and could have scored a few goals in the Connacht final and that was against Mayo who are known as good in defence.

rodney trotter

They had a 13 point lead at half time against Laois I think, maybe complacency crept into it. Won by 5 in the end

Syferus

Comical recording of the national anthem being played before this match. The sort of thing you'd hear out of a street seller's car stereo on a market day.

haveaharp

Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2014, 07:00:18 PM
Comical recording of the national anthem being played before this match. The sort of thing you'd hear out of a street seller's car stereo on a market day.

The version in the Hyde wasn't too hot either

Syferus

Quote from: haveaharp on July 26, 2014, 07:02:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 26, 2014, 07:00:18 PM

The version in the Hyde wasn't too hot either

We usually get one of our many Scór champions to sing it. Only for the big matches so maybe yer arrival didn't qualify.

Some counties don't bother at all.

inexile

Ollie Turner is being very negative about Galway and their play.