Galway v Tipp AI Football Qualifier 26/07/2014 Tullamore

Started by galwayman, July 14, 2014, 04:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 16, 2014, 02:11:50 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 16, 2014, 01:55:29 PM
Going to be a very interesting game. Tipp improving all the time and are in a good frame of mind aswell I would think. They have a good age profile in that team with several guys who have proven themselves in Sigerson or Minor teams in recent years so it's no surprise the graph is moving upwards.
Galway continue to be miles off where I thought they'd be given the u21 successes. The collapse of midfield in Connacht final was particularly concerning. Can anybody tell me why Martin wasn't playing btw? Looked to be a quality inside forward any time I've seen him.
I'd be veering towards backing Tipp if anything for this one given the state of both camps. Could be a very tight game though.

I'm not a fan of Martin, don't think he's that accurate and lacks the pace of someone like Cummins. I'd rather we stick with Cummins for the Tipp game.

We have a manger who is way out of his depth like no other county. I feel sorry for the players who have to play under a manager who doesn't really know whats he's doing. I'm not claiming we should be winning All Irelands with this team but we'd a good bunch of young players here who will develop providing they play under the right man. We still managed to kick 16 scores against one of the best 3 teams in the country and it should have been a lot more.

The midfield wouldn't concern me, their up against some of the best and most experienced opponents in the country. Their only young and no doubt they will be more physically developed next year.

Concerns for me are the amount of goal chances we concede, far too many. How many time did we dispossess Mayo yet they won it straight back, very frustrating. Nothing was done to stop the threat of O'Connor, he was outstanding but he was given so much space that he probably doesn't find in a club game. These are issues created by the lack of a decent manager, its his 3rd year in charge and were not really further on as a team , individually were in a far better place for moving forward.

From what I've seen (and I've seen both players quite a bit) Cummins might have a bit more pace, but Martin is far more accurate, a lot stronger AND his movement is smarter and more economical. Cummins will run all day but won't produce much. His shooting was very poor the last day overall.

There are undoubtedly people here more familiar with both but to me, looking in from the outside I think Martin would add a lot to the forward line.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Adrian Varley would add more. Galway need continuity up front and Varley is very good at play-making and making a forward line consistent. Whoever takes over next year (as much as I'd like it, ye won't keep Mulholland, will ye?) will have to look towards nurturing his talents better next year.

The likes of Martin, Hoare, Cummins and Armstrong aren't the future for Galway up front. Cummins might be better as a workhorse forward playing deeper.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2014, 05:34:42 PM
Adrian Varley would add more. Galway need continuity up front and Varley is very good at play-making and making a forward line consistent. Whoever takes over next year (as much as I'd like it, ye won't keep Mulholland, will ye?) will have to look towards nurturing his talents better next year.

The likes of Martin, Hoare, Cummins and Armstrong aren't the future for Galway up front. Cummins might be better as a workhorse higher up the field.

Cummins had a bad day with his finishing but that was as bad as I've seen him finish. I wouldn't write him of on that display alone. On another day he could have had 4 or 5 points because he was winning ball and turning his marker constantly. Finishing was just dire.

That said I see him as more of a complimentary forward rather than someone who should be the main man up front.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2014, 05:46:32 PM

The likes of Martin, Hoare, Cummins and Armstrong aren't the future for Galway up front. Cummins might be better as a workhorse higher up the field.

Cummins had a bad day with his finishing but that was as bad as I've seen him finish. I wouldn't write him of on that display alone. On another day he could have had 4 or 5 points because he was winning ball and turning his marker constantly. Finishing was just dire.

That said I see him as more of a complimentary forward rather than someone who should be the main man up front.

Talking about him high up the field like he has been a lot of times I saw him. You've a lad full of running with no where to run to. Give him more field in front of him and he can cause damage. I certainly wouldn't be writing him off.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 16, 2014, 05:28:38 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 16, 2014, 02:11:50 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 16, 2014, 01:55:29 PM
Going to be a very interesting game. Tipp improving all the time and are in a good frame of mind aswell I would think. They have a good age profile in that team with several guys who have proven themselves in Sigerson or Minor teams in recent years so it's no surprise the graph is moving upwards.
Galway continue to be miles off where I thought they'd be given the u21 successes. The collapse of midfield in Connacht final was particularly concerning. Can anybody tell me why Martin wasn't playing btw? Looked to be a quality inside forward any time I've seen him.
I'd be veering towards backing Tipp if anything for this one given the state of both camps. Could be a very tight game though.

I'm not a fan of Martin, don't think he's that accurate and lacks the pace of someone like Cummins. I'd rather we stick with Cummins for the Tipp game.

We have a manger who is way out of his depth like no other county. I feel sorry for the players who have to play under a manager who doesn't really know whats he's doing. I'm not claiming we should be winning All Irelands with this team but we'd a good bunch of young players here who will develop providing they play under the right man. We still managed to kick 16 scores against one of the best 3 teams in the country and it should have been a lot more.

The midfield wouldn't concern me, their up against some of the best and most experienced opponents in the country. Their only young and no doubt they will be more physically developed next year.

Concerns for me are the amount of goal chances we concede, far too many. How many time did we dispossess Mayo yet they won it straight back, very frustrating. Nothing was done to stop the threat of O'Connor, he was outstanding but he was given so much space that he probably doesn't find in a club game. These are issues created by the lack of a decent manager, its his 3rd year in charge and were not really further on as a team , individually were in a far better place for moving forward.

From what I've seen (and I've seen both players quite a bit) Cummins might have a bit more pace, but Martin is far more accurate, a lot stronger AND his movement is smarter and more economical. Cummins will run all day but won't produce much. His shooting was very poor the last day overall.

There are undoubtedly people here more familiar with both but to me, looking in from the outside I think Martin would add a lot to the forward line.

If you'd have asked me last year I'd have agreed with you. Cummins was very wasteful against Mayo but took some good scores against Sligo scoring 4 points from play whilst Martin only got a point from a free. I hope he's given another chance, his pace caused Barrett problems and in fairness there was a lot of rubbish balls delivered into him.

Maroon Manc

The likes of Martin, Hoare, Cummins and Armstrong aren't the future for Galway up front. Cummins might be better as a workhorse forward playing deeper.

I'll be fuming if Mulholland is kept on. I agree Varley should have a future in our forward line but I wouldn't have thought he was physically ready yet. Were light weight enough with throwing another one in. How has he performed for his club this year?

Rossfan

We need Galway to win this one to keep up Connacht's representation in the closing stages.
I suppose poor oul Shliiiigo will hardly do the Corkies.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mouview

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2014, 05:46:32 PM

Cummins has a bad day nearly every day with his finishing; how many times have you seen him miss very good goal chances? I have in practically every game he plays. Good player to show for the ball to be sure, but somebody a-la Joyce or Meehan needs to give him a workshop in how to score.

Duine Eile

So apparently Sean Armstrong has withdrawn from the football panel over the weekend. It came out on Galway Bay sports news today so there must be some truth to it.

Edit: According to Ollie Turner he has rejoined the panel again. Strange!

An Fhairche Abu

The reports coming out of the camp aren't something that would give you much hope going into what will be a tough encounter, it's disheartening to hear, especially as whatever chance you have as a top team with some internal issues, if you are a middle of the road unit like Galway if everyone isn't pulling in the one direction you are done.
The team and management got a free pass against Mayo once they didn't lose by 18 points, it's a different story next Saturday night.

GalwayBayBoy

So Armstrong apparently walked off the panel then came back fairly quickly. Others contemplated walking. Rows over expenses, gear, etc.

Not sure how much is true or not apart from the Armstrong one.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team

Tomas Healy
Donal O'Neill
Finian Hanley
Joss Moore
Gareth Bradshaw
Gary O'Donnell
Paul Varley
Fiontain O'Curraoin
Tom Flynn
Michael Lundy
Shane Walsh
James Kavanagh
Michael Martin
Paul Conroy
Danny Cummins

Tipp are unchanged.

Duine Eile

So Michael Martin who didn't even get a run in the Connacht final is now good enough to start while Sean Armstrong who scored 2 points after coming on isn't?  Looks like AM is making a statement here after last weekends  shenanigans.

DJGaliv

I'm a bit worried looking at that team. It would make you wonder what consistent plan we have if we just change the keeper for no particular reason thinking that will solve our problems

galwayman

Well in fairness Breathnachs kickouts have consistently been a problem. Anybody who has been to a reasonable amount of Galway league and championship games over the past two seasons will have seen that. And kick outs are a huge element in the modern game.
This is an extremely difficult game to call.