AIQ Round 3B - Roscommon vs. Armagh (19/07/14, 5pm - Live on SKY)

Started by Syferus, July 13, 2014, 05:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

It's been a nice run and reputations have been restored, but there is no way in hell we beat the Common, I mean they are one game too far for us, maybe, maybe if we start AK we have a chance but I will remember this season fondly and wish the Rossies all the best in the quest for Sam!

Prediction, 2-18 The Orchard 1-15
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

Commonman and Moysider. Well remember 1977 too. Rarely has anyone played a captain's role in Croke Park thas Jimmy Smyth did, particularly in the drawn game, singlehandedly dragging Armagh back from the dead. The official who ran across Dermot Earley was Armagh manager Gerry O' Neill (brother of current Ireland boss Martin O'Neill) who was ahead of his time in terms of psychology! I remember him putting Nudie Hughes completely off his game (indulging in a slanging match) in a championship clash between Armagh and Monaghan a couple of years later!

Two great games between two teams who were unfortunate that Dublin and Kerry were so strong in that era, and as Roscommon showed in 1980, neither were that far away

ziggy90

Quote from: BennyCake on July 14, 2014, 02:38:26 PM
What's to do in Roscommon and surrounding areas for the weekend?

Any lads with black hair (or those who wish they had) should stay the night in Loughglynn. Make sure you wash your hair while there and you're guaranteed to be black for life.  :P
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Rossfan

Hard to know how this one will go.
In our favour is the Venue, we're under no pressure as we've already had a good season, Armagh may be worn out from 4 hard games, they may have won their All Ireland last Sunday( reports of players crying after it and all that), will Armagh be able to handlea non Ulster team who play football only?
Against is that Armagh have been more battle hardened ( in every sense) by 4 games v Ulster opponents, Jamie Clarke, McKeever, McGeeney and the siege and anti media mentality......
It's a 50/50 game that both teams will feel they can win and will all depend on how things pan out on the day.
I'm hopeful that Johneen will have our lads minds right, will have an oul Kerry trick or two up his sleeve, will impress on our lads not to get involved in the Armagh brawl tactic and that the ref will implement the rough/dangerous play and black cards rules as they are written in the T.O.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

illdecide

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2014, 11:33:41 AM
Hard to know how this one will go.
In our favour is the Venue, we're under no pressure as we've already had a good season, Armagh may be worn out from 4 hard games, they may have won their All Ireland last Sunday( reports of players crying after it and all that), will Armagh be able to handlea non Ulster team who play football only?
Against is that Armagh have been more battle hardened ( in every sense) by 4 games v Ulster opponents, Jamie Clarke, McKeever, McGeeney and the siege and anti media mentality......
It's a 50/50 game that both teams will feel they can win and will all depend on how things pan out on the day.
I'm hopeful that Johneen will have our lads minds right, will have an oul Kerry trick or two up his sleeve, will impress on our lads not to get involved in the Armagh brawl tactic and that the ref will implement the rough/dangerous play and black cards rules as they are written in the T.O.

It is hard to know tbh...the thing you got with Armagh was inconsistency but this we run we're on can galvanise them (2 wins from 4...lol). You guys won't have to worry about any bully tactics from Armagh (unless you try it on first ;)) Playing another team out of Ulster may well result in a more open game of football from Armagh and Roscommon have some good footballers on their side so it should be interesting.

I said earlier i would def like to see A Kernan and R Grugan start, these two can play a bit and will get a bit more space and can get crucial scores.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

general_lee

I think Grugan is better coming on especially when the game has opened up, his passing inside is exceptional and although in both his cameos he has been crucial I still think he is better as an impact sub. I'd rather the likes of McVerry/A Forker in there to do the dirty work at early stages.

With A Kernan you could do either. I'm sure there's nothing worse for the opposition than seeing him getting warmed up to come on. He gave the team a lift when he came on on Sunday and helped close the game out.

I'd second calls for Stefan Campbell to be played in FF. Himself and Clarke had a good chemistry going in the first Monaghan game. Scores will be harder to come by and someone needs to chip in with scores as Armagh are too reliant on Jamie.

Is there any word on Dyas? He has been unreal for Armagh lately!

T Fearon

Armagh bound to be on a high after beating Tyrone and motivation will be high after losing here in 2012. If they can convert chances better I can't see them losing here. I'm right in thinking that fourth round qualifiers are generally held Iin Croke Park?

Shrewdness

I hope Marty Duffy is nowhere near Hyde Park on Saturday evening..

Syferus

Quote from: AFS on July 15, 2014, 09:18:50 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on July 15, 2014, 08:54:53 PM
I hope Marty Duffy is nowhere near Hyde Park on Saturday evening..

The ref is Eddie Kinsella.

He could be the standby ref. He'd break Eddie's legs if it meant he could screw over the Ros.

Quote from: T Fearon on July 15, 2014, 08:50:16 PM
Armagh bound to be on a high after beating Tyrone and motivation will be high after losing here in 2012. If they can convert chances better I can't see them losing here. I'm right in thinking that fourth round qualifiers are generally held Iin Croke Park?

You are not right and don't worry your head about Round 4.

Shrewdness

Isn't Eddie Kinsella the individual that reffed our match against Mayo? Didn't impress me that day.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 15, 2014, 10:24:03 PM
Isn't Eddie Kinsella the individual that reffed our match against Mayo? Didn't impress me that day.

Everyone that's not a Duffy deserves a second chance.

illdecide

Quote from: Syferus on July 15, 2014, 10:26:14 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on July 15, 2014, 10:24:03 PM

Everyone that's not a Duffy deserves a second chance.

Lol...quote of the week...but he may feel he got a few decisions wrong in your last game and might wanna make it up you by sending C McKeever off and a couple of penalties should help you lot on your way... :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Shrewdness

What style of play do we expect these teams to adopt for this game? Will we see defensive formations with 12 or 13 men behind the ball or will it be all out attack from both teams, which could lead to a high scoring game? Can't really see any changes to the Rossies starting line up. Would like to see an in form Donie Smith get back in at some stage as he's also a handy free taker..

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 16, 2014, 08:36:58 PM
What style of play do we expect these teams to adopt for this game? Will we see defensive formations with 12 or 13 men behind the ball or will it be all out attack from both teams, which could lead to a high scoring game? Can't really see any changes to the Rossies starting line up. Would like to see an in form Donie Smith get back in at some stage as he's also a handy free taker..

Donie Smith has every chance of replacing DOG. Stack almost surely has to be starting after his last two displays.

Rossfan

Hate to agree with Syfín but he has a point.
However a  horse like Ian K might start instead of Stackín.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM