AIQ Round 3B - Roscommon vs. Armagh (19/07/14, 5pm - Live on SKY)

Started by Syferus, July 13, 2014, 05:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 16, 2014, 08:36:58 PM
What style of play do we expect these teams to adopt for this game? Will we see defensive formations with 12 or 13 men behind the ball or will it be all out attack from both teams, which could lead to a high scoring game? Can't really see any changes to the Rossies starting line up. Would like to see an in form Donie Smith get back in at some stage as he's also a handy free taker..

We will definitely be playing a defensive style of football with at least one sweeper.

Shrewdness

If Ronan Stack was to come in, who would ye envisage losing out. If fit, surely Keenan, N Daly and Cafferkey will man the half back line. I think Donie Smith would offer more from a scoring point of view, than David O'Gara, who hard though he works, never seems to score.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 16, 2014, 10:55:34 PM
If Ronan Stack was to come in, who would ye envisage losing out. If fit, surely Keenan, N Daly and Cafferkey will man the half back line. I think Donie Smith would offer more from a scoring point of view, than David O'Gara, who hard though he works, never seems to score.

Caff has had a fine debut season and his goal against Mayo was beautiful. Local lad too so I have lots of time for him and I think he has a bright future. I just think places in HB line are so contested now that you need to be going with the hot hand and that hand is Keenan-Niall D-Stack right now. Conor Daly thrives in a more attacking position.

What puts Donie clearly ahead of DOG for me right now is our troubles with frees with the right foot, something Donie can do very well. Were the bigger Donie fit again picking Donie Smith over DOG would be a more murky call, they do different things as players.

Ohtoohtobe

Do ye reckon Armagh will opt for a melee or no melee in this one? Would it be likely to help or hinder the Rossies?

balladmaker

QuoteDo ye reckon Armagh will opt for a melee or no melee in this one? Would it be likely to help or hinder the Rossies?

If Ross want one, they'll have no problem getting one :-)

Would love to see Armagh on a day when the goal chances they create actually go into the net, some team will get an awful hiding ...

Collie Brolly

No way should Donie Smith start this game.If DOG misses out there are other more suitable alternatives.He's not a half-forward.Comin on and playing like a star against a beaten half a team from the half-acre doesn't make it so.In overall context his 21 campaign was poor and be has been overtaken by the likes of Murtagh.
Dare I suggest he's going backwards?

Syferus

Quote from: Collie Brolly on July 17, 2014, 10:52:41 AM
No way should Donie Smith start this game.If DOG misses out there are other more suitable alternatives.He's not a half-forward.Comin on and playing like a star against a beaten half a team from the half-acre doesn't make it so.In overall context his 21 campaign was poor and be has been overtaken by the likes of Murtagh.
Dare I suggest he's going backwards?

Smith has probably only been properly fit and match sharp for a month or two. First game back was the Mayo U21 game where he cut them apart when clearly not at 100%. Everyone knows that a fully fit Smith is always going to be pushing for a place. Too talented to ignore.

We need a free-taker and we're playing a natural HB in the HF line as it is. Coupled with how Cregg is used and how deep Kilbride was playing the last day there's absolutely room for another out-and-out forward.

Collie Brolly

Hf and hb are effectively the same position now. That 6 should be Keenan/Daly/Caff and Stack/E smith/Daly eile. Can't see Donie getting in after that.Might have been a tad harsh in original assessment but wasn't far off.He's a long time back from injury now.Anyone know how he's goin in training or in our recent Connacht challenge matches?No doubting the boy is talented but it's his temperament I'd worry about especially against McKeever and co.

Rossfan

Donie Smith hasn't really developed as we'd expected so far. Hopefully by next July he'll have been sorted out and be delivering on the pitch for us.
I suspect Evans will start the same 15 again to get Keenan back in the groove.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

I would love to add to this debate, but feel that it would contravene the Armagh media ban.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Orior on July 17, 2014, 03:33:57 PM
I would love to add to this debate, but feel that it would contravene the Armagh media ban.

Declare yourself an honorary Mayo supporter temporarily and you can get around it. Fianna Fáil has passed legislation to allow this and it doesn't require a vote at Congress.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Quote from: Collie Brolly on July 17, 2014, 01:56:20 PM
Hf and hb are effectively the same position now. That 6 should be Keenan/Daly/Caff and Stack/E smith/Daly eile. Can't see Donie getting in after that.Might have been a tad harsh in original assessment but wasn't far off.He's a long time back from injury now.Anyone know how he's goin in training or in our recent Connacht challenge matches?No doubting the boy is talented but it's his temperament I'd worry about especially against McKeever and co.

Yeah, just a tad...

Our top scorer in the minor championship 2011 only Ciarán Kilkenny scored more than him the following year he was our top scorer for our U-21s on route to the AI final. Last year our top scorer in div 3 of the NFL. I thought Donie played well v Mayo,Cork in the U-21 championship this year and was threatening to cut loose in the Connacht final but for a very harsh black card.

His senior championship action so far was one half v Mayo last year and a few minutes off the bench v Tyrone,Mayo and Cavan i think the lad deserves a run in the senior side before any type of judgement call is made. By all accounts his form in training,challenges has been good and has been in fine form for his club. He won't start Saturday but is a good option to bring on.

Keenan has been training so unchanged side expected. Low scoring hard hitting contest looks most likely with more scores from frees than play, it might not be a game for the 'purists'  however a goal or two could open the game up.  Any type of win will do for us the prize for the winner is championship football in August a opportunity we may not get next summer.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Collie Brolly

Frees are fantastic for bigging up a lad just look at COC.
He doesn't score enough from play.

Syferus

Quote from: Collie Brolly on July 17, 2014, 06:07:16 PM
Frees are fantastic for bigging up a lad just look at COC.
He doesn't score enough from play.

Eh? COC is one of the best forwards in the country now and even when he wasn't his quality on frees alone were worth his starting spot.

Donie can score points and goals from play in his sleep.