Guinness to sponsor pro 12 rugby

Started by Redhand Santa, July 11, 2014, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 11, 2014, 01:38:56 PM
Haven't heard any outcry against this. Where is the doctors coming out telling us how many people this will kill. Why no media outcry to think of the children etc? That's the two main rugby competitions irish teams play in sponsored by drinks companies. Very different attitude from the Dublin press to rugby than gaa in the country.
The difference is that the GAA is about more than just sport. You don't see the IRFU promoting the Irish language, national reunification, etc etc. You won't see hoardes of high ranking Catholic clergy, Irish army officers, etc sitting in the best seats at a big rugby match. GAA is tied up in the national psyche in a way that rugby and football aren't. For that reason, whatever the GAA does, it'll always be scrutinised much more than other sports.

keep her low this half

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 12, 2014, 09:20:52 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 11, 2014, 01:38:56 PM
Haven't heard any outcry against this. Where is the doctors coming out telling us how many people this will kill. Why no media outcry to think of the children etc? That's the two main rugby competitions irish teams play in sponsored by drinks companies. Very different attitude from the Dublin press to rugby than gaa in the country.
The difference is that the GAA is about more than just sport. You don't see the IRFU promoting the Irish language, national reunification, etc etc. You won't see hoardes of high ranking Catholic clergy, Irish army officers, etc sitting in the best seats at a big rugby match. GAA is tied up in the national psyche in a way that rugby and football aren't. For that reason, whatever the GAA does, it'll always be scrutinised much more than other sports.
The President of Ireland attends most home Ireland rugby matches especially in the six nations. Politicians of all shapes and sizes are routinely in the seats of the great and good at the aviva. Rugby has plenty of high profile hangers on too

Syferus

Quote from: johnneycool on July 11, 2014, 03:25:49 PM
never liked Coca-Cola or McDonalds sponsoring FeĆ­le's etc etc, as they peddle pure muck and tagging their brands onto childrens competitions is just wrong.

Getting picky isn't in the job remit.

foxcommander

Why would it? Rugby isn't an irish sport.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Myles Na G.

Quote from: foxcommander on July 12, 2014, 08:15:06 PM

You're right, rugby is a global sport, though not on the same scale as football, obviously. I was maybe careless with my choice of words when I said 'psyche' - I was thinking more of the fact that GAA is part of the Irish establishment in the way that other sports aren't. GAA will never have the potential to capture the interest and imagination of the Irish people in the way that the republic's world cup team did Italia 90, for example. It's too parochial in every sense.

foxcommander

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 13, 2014, 12:37:39 PM

You're right, rugby is a global sport,

Hahahah...it's not a global sport, stop trying to convince yourself. There's about 7 countries that play it.
And in Ireland I don't need to spell out that it's an british imperial sport but theres a lot out there that don't like to hear it.

I'm sure you unionists are fans eh Myles?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: foxcommander on July 13, 2014, 02:58:38 PM

Hahahah...it's not a global sport, stop trying to convince yourself. There's about 7 countries that play it.
And in Ireland I don't need to spell out that it's an british imperial sport but theres a lot out there that don't like to hear it.

Here's the rugby world rankings table:
http://www.irb.com/rankings/sportid=1/ranking/index.html
Have you got a similar one for gaelic football or hurling?  ;D

foxcommander

When you see the likes of Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Samoa on the top ten of any sporting list you have to know that it's a diddy of a sport.

Hahahaha you said global. I could probably get a game with any team under the top 20 of the list and I don't even know how to play.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: foxcommander on July 13, 2014, 06:39:25 PM
When you see the likes of Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Samoa on the top ten of any sporting list you have to know that it's a diddy of a sport.

Hahahaha you said global. I could probably get a game with any team under the top 20 of the list and I don't even know how to play.
I'd say that a diddy of a sport is one that hasn't been able to catch on outside its own backyard, despite the fact that Irish people are to be found in numbers all over the globe.

foxcommander

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 13, 2014, 06:46:49 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on July 13, 2014, 06:39:25 PM

I'd say that a diddy of a sport is one that hasn't been able to catch on outside its own backyard, despite the fact that Irish people are to be found in numbers all over the globe.

Where did I ever boast that Gaa was a global sport. You said that about rugger and shown up that your facts are bullsh*t. Fiji, Samoa and Ireland indeed.

Again begs the question why you are on a Gaelic Website if you hate GAA so much. I trust you had fun yesterday at Orangefest 2014?

michaelg

Quote from: foxcommander on July 13, 2014, 02:58:38 PM

What a crock of shite.  So every game / sport invented in the UK is a british imperial sport?  You only interested in games / sports invented outside of Britain?

foxcommander

Quote from: michaelg on July 13, 2014, 09:20:55 PM
What a crock of shite.  So every game / sport invented in the UK is a british imperial sport?
No

I was referring to rugby...so in this case yes.

Rugby football is a style of football that developed at Rugby School. I note that it isn't called Mullingar Union or Ballyjamesduff Union.
What what old chap...tally ho.

Seems like theres a few out there in denial that it's a british sport.

michaelg

Quote from: foxcommander on July 13, 2014, 10:03:09 PM
What a crock of shite.  So every game / sport invented in the UK is a british imperial sport?
No

Rugby football is a style of football that developed at Rugby School. I note that it isn't called Mullingar Union or Ballyjamesduff Union.

Nobody is denying that it's a British sport.  Was merely enquring as to how it was an imperial sport?  Also, is it just rugby you have a problem with?  What about other sports / games invented in Britain e.g. netball, darts, snooker, ice hockey, tennis, baseball, association football etc?

foxcommander

Quote from: michaelg on July 13, 2014, 10:12:00 PM
No

Nobody is denying that it's a British sport.  Was merely enquring as to how it was an imperial sport? 

Because they took it to their colonies. Read a little history why don't you.
Next you'll be saying India and the West indies accidentally started playing cricket for no reason!

anyway, just to reiterate. Rugby = Imperial sport.

michaelg

Quote from: foxcommander on July 13, 2014, 10:21:06 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 13, 2014, 10:12:00 PM
No

Nobody is denying that it's a British sport.  Was merely enquring as to how it was an imperial sport? 

Because they took it to their colonies. Read a little history why don't you.
Next you'll be saying India and the West indies accidentally started playing cricket for no reason!

anyway, just to reiterate. Rugby = Imperial sport.
Surely they took all the other games / sports they invented to their colonies too?  As such, are they not all imperial sports too?