USFC Final - Donegal v Monaghan - Sunday 20th July - St. Tiernachs Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 07, 2014, 01:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babarino

Quote from: Main Street on July 11, 2014, 11:36:08 AM
Quote from: babarino on July 10, 2014, 01:15:32 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 10, 2014, 12:42:54 AM
Donegal seem to be injury free.

Mc Manus seems fully recovered from his injury. How far is Lennon away ?

And what's all this talk about Kieran Hughes being badly injured ? What happened him and how long will be out for ?.

It appears K Hughes didn't fully recover from the knock he took against Tyrone. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the big bruiser start in the Ulster final.

Less is known about Lennon. He would be a 1st choice midfielder, but it might be late August or September by the time we see him up and at it.
One can interpret that line in many different ways.

Only one way to interpret it MS. He's got a serious injury and he isn't going to be rushed back into action until the closing stages of the championship.

orangeman

Dermot Malone injured too. Odds bound to be swinging in Donegal's favour now.

Main Street

Quote from: babarino on July 11, 2014, 11:04:06 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 11, 2014, 11:36:08 AM
Quote from: babarino on July 10, 2014, 01:15:32 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 10, 2014, 12:42:54 AM
Donegal seem to be injury free.

Mc Manus seems fully recovered from his injury. How far is Lennon away ?

And what's all this talk about Kieran Hughes being badly injured ? What happened him and how long will be out for ?.

It appears K Hughes didn't fully recover from the knock he took against Tyrone. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the big bruiser start in the Ulster final.

Less is known about Lennon. He would be a 1st choice midfielder, but it might be late August or September by the time we see him up and at it.
One can interpret that line in many different ways.

Only one way to interpret it MS. He's got a serious injury and he isn't going to be rushed back into action until the closing stages of the championship.
That's an unflinching, affirmative vote of confidence in semi final / final activity for Monaghan.

donelli

season tickets released.
back in the mcgrane stand like last year.

hope its not lashing!

GrandMasterFlash

Jaysus, not even making the first page and it on in 5 days..

The BBC have it that K Hughes and Malone are good to go, not that I doubted that anyhow..

AccuWeather have it (not very accurately) as: 'Periods of sun with a shower'

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/clones/210613/daily-weather-forecast/210613?day=5

J70

Everything's been said already, really, pending the announcements of the teams. Its a hard match to predict. As a Donegal man I'm hopeful, but definitely very fearful. I just hope we're not outworked, out-hustled and physically second-best like we were last year. And hopefully McGuinness has used Monaghan's battles so far to identify a few weaknesses! I'm not too concerned by the subsequent performances of Derry and Antrim. I'm much more concerned about Monaghan looking like they had our number in the two matches in the past year!

Main Street

Sure, it's not the past history that has any relevance, but the recent history since last year's final.
Even so, I can't call this game, but if we do manage to beat Donegal this time, then I can say that we have their number for another 10 years.

Bingo

Its going to be a battle but I think football will break out after a tight start. I don't expect a dirty game, rather a physical intense battle where scores will be hard earned. Can't see either team getting goals. Donegal bound to be hurting after last year, while Monaghan have a chance to win back to back Ulsters, so both teams will be giving everything.

Can't really call it and from a monaghan point of view I'd worry if it level with 5/10 minutes to go. We haven't been good at seeing out games and I think our lack of options in the middle make it hard to get the midfield pair playing for a full 70mins. With Doogan back, it should help and vital that Kieran Hughes can play the full 70 or at least be fit to put in a spell in the middle.

Not even going to guess at O'Rourkes team as he will always make a change or two.

Looks like it going to be close to a full house, so should make for a good atmosphere, with a 4pm start, plenty of time to sample the delights of Clones before hand. I won't but I'm sure plenty will!

upmonaghansayswe

Another Ulster Final build up – what summers are made for!. And with the Casement development getting underway, days like Sunday should be cherished especially for Monaghan folk. Who knows how many more we will get... Anyway, that's something to lament about for another day - time for Part II.

It`ll be interesting to see if there'll be any changes to the starting 15. As someone said earlier, will MOR prefer a more physical back 6 meaning Kieran replacing Ryan (or even Paudie, if he wants a more defensive sweeper). Bar a few kicks, Paudie had a really good game and is much better option going forward. I`d assume 10 min against Armagh isn't enough for Gavin Doogan either, and ideally we need a third option in midfield that doesn't involve Kieran coming out. Only for Dicks virtuoso efforts so far this year we mightn't be in a final, let's hope he has another one in him.  On a side note, this is Dicks Ulster swansong – it'd be great for him to win a title playing a full roll.  Same again up front you`d guess, Paul on the 40 with Jinxy and Dermot alongside with Conor and Kieran inside. Hopefully those hands, knees and ankles all hold up!.

Zulu

MONAGHAN: Beggan; R Wylie D Wylie C Walshe; Mone Corey Kelly; Clerkin D Hughes; McKenna Gollogly Finlay; Malone K Hughes McManus

Maguire01

That's pretty much the team I'd have picked, only I'd probably have Corey in the back line and bring Ryan Wylie forward.

timmyot501

Can't argue with that lineup if it really starts. Normally a change or 2 by malachy but I wouldn't like to see any this time. Looking forward to it now

Schkite

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 17, 2014, 08:52:14 PM
That's pretty much the team I'd have picked, only I'd probably have Corey in the back line and bring Ryan Wylie forward.

If there are no personnel changes(and I wouldn't rule out one or two, not that I'd want any), I'd expect the odd positional change, probably the ones you've mentioned. Vinny's done a great job both times he was moved back there against Donegal so there's no reason not to stick with that this time.

Whitnail

The prob I have is I don't know what level were actually at and I don't think anyone in Donegal really knows either.
We all know how  collectively bad the players can be and how collectively decent . We've seen the contrast in first half's/second half performances in two games over two months and the comparison between 2012 & last year but, in 2014 only Jim really knows the  true ratio and he's not gonna reveal anything worthwhile. There's also the absence of Mark McHugh and what that really means and where does Rory Gallagher come into any of it considering he hasn't played at all yet?

I've heard a few people locally say that we've just done what we've had to so far and been as economical as possible in doing it but I  couldn't buy into that kind of  thinking at all. That's just the 'myth' talking.
On Sunday if the lads want to(finally) beat Monaghan they kind of have no choice but to reveal 'exactly' what level they're at over 70 grueling mins. That's why everyone is looking forward to the game and why Monaghan are the perfect test. We're either gonna be approaching our best ( as in 2012) or they're gonna completely expose us ( as in 2013).
Its the main reason no-one(including paddy power) can call it.
Monaghan are in a good place and  will just look to do what they've already done twice, but, in fairness even they wont really know what they're  dealing with either until actual kick-off!