USFC Final - Donegal v Monaghan - Sunday 20th July - St. Tiernachs Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 07, 2014, 01:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Sleater on July 08, 2014, 09:38:42 AM
I can't say who could win, though I hope Monaghan will shade it. I wouldn't be able to say until the teams take the field and I see Monaghan's real line out (not the dummy line out sent to the media)
That implies you know better than O'Rourke.

Real Talk

Its a very intriguing encounter.   I  think the final score with be 0-9 to 0-8 in favour of Donegal ------ no space allowed to create goal chances ----- and Spillane will be in full anti-Ulster mode in the Sunday Game !!!!  Actually the most influenctial factor will be the Referee ----now who will get the job ---- will he be appointed by McEneany the 'great'

Really looking forward to this game

Farrandeelin

Quote from: anfheardubh on July 07, 2014, 10:14:48 PM
Its going to be a tough shout but Donegal have better footballers in my opinion and if Lacey plays Donegal WINS

Simple

Like Monaghan but feel they are still 4/5 players short of an All Ireland winning team and Donegal will be delighted to get a shot at them again this year

Donegal by 4 points Micheal Murphy to score the crucial goal 8) ;) ;) ;) ;) :) :) :) ;D ;D

Donegal never beat Monaghan though...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 08, 2014, 09:59:07 PM
Quote from: anfheardubh on July 07, 2014, 10:14:48 PM
Its going to be a tough shout but Donegal have better footballers in my opinion and if Lacey plays Donegal WINS

Simple

Like Monaghan but feel they are still 4/5 players short of an All Ireland winning team and Donegal will be delighted to get a shot at them again this year

Donegal by 4 points Micheal Murphy to score the crucial goal 8) ;) ;) ;) ;) :) :) :) ;D ;D

Donegal never beat Monaghan though...

How long since Monaghan had beaten Tyrone?

Whitnail

Two weeks is still a fair wait and who knows what injuries either county players will have before then.

McManus & Clerkin in particular give us a torrid time in these games.  These Monaghan lads are firmly under the player's skin  now and if Monaghan go in again at half time 4/5 points up, then it will be a deja vu .

Monaghan half forward line can shoot pretty accurately from 40 yards,  they're defence I think are the best in the championship at snatching, grabbing/fisting the ball clean out of forwards hands (which isn't an easy art to perfect) and McManus will NEVER miss a free.

Having said that we can still beat this team.  Just keep up with Monaghan in the first half and go or an old fashioned shoot out in the 2nd.  Last two finals I felt it were all over after 35 mins with  players spending the rest of the game  wallowing in frustration and just helping monaghan run further away  like the bad old days when they're was  Zero discipline.

I do think unfortunately we will be ultra defensive in the first half and it will be a much durer affair this time around.  Jim will need to pull out something different.

Main Street

I'd say if Donegal play that (dour) ultra defensive  game, they will be beaten.
The same type of game that beat Derry and Antrim will not be enough. They will have to win the first half

Quote from: Sleater on July 08, 2014, 09:38:42 AM
Monaghan have a weeks less prep and that is a disadvantage.
i'd regard the replay against Armagh as necessary preparation, hardly a distraction.

babarino

Quote from: Whitnail on July 08, 2014, 10:37:37 PM
Two weeks is still a fair wait and who knows what injuries either county players will have before then.

McManus & Clerkin in particular give us a torrid time in these games.  These Monaghan lads are firmly under the player's skin  now and if Monaghan go in again at half time 4/5 points up, then it will be a deja vu .

Monaghan half forward line can shoot pretty accurately from 40 yards,  they're defence I think are the best in the championship at snatching, grabbing/fisting the ball clean out of forwards hands (which isn't an easy art to perfect) and McManus will NEVER miss a free.

Having said that we can still beat this team.  Just keep up with Monaghan in the first half and go or an old fashioned shoot out in the 2nd.  Last two finals I felt it were all over after 35 mins with  players spending the rest of the game  wallowing in frustration and just helping monaghan run further away  like the bad old days when they're was  Zero discipline.

I do think unfortunately we will be ultra defensive in the first half and it will be a much durer affair this time around.  Jim will need to pull out something different.

Clerkin hardly featured in the Ulster and Division 2 finals. He will this final and he's playing great stuff. His hit on McKeever after he dished one out to Darren Hughes, at the start of the game on Sunday, was legendary. Such a pity there isn't footage of it. Lennon has been good in these matches against Donegal, but is a different type of midfielder. He's out for this one, which swings midfield in Donegal's favour if the ball goes high i lár na bpairce.

Regarding McManus, he seems to be back to himself, but will need K Hughes to take a bit of the heat off him. Hughes's injury is a real concern for Monaghan. Donegal seem to have found new blood, as have we.

Our defence is strong, but McGuinness will have had a good luck at how Armagh found openings.

Bingo

Just out of interest if say, Stephen Gollogy started and he couldn't stop himself running into someone in the Donegal team early on, who would that be this year with no Mark McHugh? Just asking for a friend.

J70

orangeman

Quote from: babarino on July 08, 2014, 11:52:28 PM
Quote from: Whitnail on July 08, 2014, 10:37:37 PM

Clerkin hardly featured in the Ulster and Division 2 finals. He will this final and he's playing great stuff. His hit on McKeever after he dished one out to Darren Hughes, at the start of the game on Sunday, was legendary. Such a pity there isn't footage of it. Lennon has been good in these matches against Donegal, but is a different type of midfielder. He's out for this one, which swings midfield in Donegal's favour if the ball goes high i lár na bpairce.

Regarding McManus, he seems to be back to himself, but will need K Hughes to take a bit of the heat off him. Hughes's injury is a real concern for Monaghan. Donegal seem to have found new blood, as have we.

Our defence is strong, but McGuinness will have had a good luck at how Armagh found openings.

Donegal seem to be injury free.

Mc Manus seems fully recovered from his injury. How far is Lennon away ?

And what's all this talk about Kieran Hughes being badly injured ? What happened him and how long will be out for ?.

babarino

Quote from: orangeman on July 10, 2014, 12:42:54 AM

And what's all this talk about Kieran Hughes being badly injured ? What happened him and how long will be out for ?.

It appears K Hughes didn't fully recover from the knock he took against Tyrone. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the big bruiser start in the Ulster final.

Less is known about Lennon. He would be a 1st choice midfielder, but it might be late August or September by the time we see him up and at it.

J70

Donegal have a few lads such as Rory Kavanagh and Paddy McGrath carrying knocks, but apparently they're expected to be fit.

However, Lacey and Kavanagh were named to start the last day and didn't feature at all, so McGuinness may not necessarily be being totally honest with whatever news is being released.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2014, 06:52:19 AM
Donegal have a few lads such as Rory Kavanagh and Paddy McGrath carrying knocks, but apparently they're expected to be fit.

However, Lacey and Kavanagh were named to start the last day and didn't feature at all, so McGuinness may not necessarily be being totally honest with whatever news is being released.

Is big Neil Gallagher in the same position or is he rarin to go?

J70

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 10, 2014, 07:18:19 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2014, 06:52:19 AM

Is big Neil Gallagher in the same position or is he rarin to go?

Apparently he had a minor hamstring issue and didn't play for club at the weekend, but he is expected to be fit. Same  for McFadden, McGrath and young O'Connor.

Main Street

Quote from: babarino on July 10, 2014, 01:15:32 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 10, 2014, 12:42:54 AM

It appears K Hughes didn't fully recover from the knock he took against Tyrone. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the big bruiser start in the Ulster final.

Less is known about Lennon. He would be a 1st choice midfielder, but it might be late August or September by the time we see him up and at it.
One can interpret that line in many different ways.

I see the betting odds people have the game at exactly 50/50. I though Donegal would be a bit more favoured.