Corcaigh v Ciarraí - Munster Final 06.07.14 - Parc des Franque

Started by Ciarrai_thuaidh, July 02, 2014, 01:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 06, 2014, 11:51:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2014, 10:34:43 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 06, 2014, 10:29:30 PM
Although Syferus has been incorrectly writing off Kerry for a few years it's hard to argue they are genuine All Ireland contenders based on today.

I stand corrected. They've been great the past two years.

They are a top four team, maybe. That has more to do with where the likes of Cork, Tyrone, Down and Kildare/Meath are at than it does about Kerry. They wouldn't beat Dublin and would probably need a Mayo meltdown to beat Mayo without Gooch.

The count of genuine AI contenders remains at one.

Why are we in there?

I guess because all the teams ahead of ye have being doing the dead fish routine recently. Meath have backed  their way into the top eight or so teams in the country by accident. I wouldn't be so callous as to say Meath have actually improved. That'd be madness altogether.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2014, 09:38:02 PM

Nowt to trouble Kerry so, not with Mayo and Galway championship history with The Kingdom.

We actually had a decent record against Kerry historically. Not so much in recent years though.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 06, 2014, 11:59:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2014, 09:38:02 PM

Nowt to trouble Kerry so, not with Mayo and Galway championship history with The Kingdom.

We actually had a decent record against Kerry historically. Not so much in recent years though.

That day in the rain. Classic Fancy stuff.

Kerry v Galway might be quite a good game if Galway don't emerge from the Connacht final totally deflated. If they do, even getting that far will be a big test.

Banter Panther

As bad as Cork were, Kerry were very impressive. Kerry play Mayo, or Galway, Kerry win. I think they're a few points off Dublin, but I honestly believe they're the second best team in the country. It just so happens that the GAA hipsters refuse to give them any credit, and I await to have my correct opinion looked down upon.
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

blanketattack

Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2014, 10:55:14 PM
Gooch, Galvin and O'Se gone. Star performers in that game last year and even then Dublin's bench finished them off.

The reason Mayo and Donegal (and Monaghan are if they beat Donegal) are ahead of Kerry is because their defensive, physical styles are exactly what has derailed Kerry with regularity over the last decade. I also think that style is probably the only way someone could actually beat Dublin.

I don't think it's a given Mayo or Donegal would beat Kerry but based on the above and the fact they match up with Dublin's globetrotters best it only makes sense that they are ahead of Kerry.

??? Ó Sé's man was MOTM and I thought Galvin was off the pace masked by his two points.

Syferus

Quote from: blanketattack on July 07, 2014, 12:58:18 AM
Gooch, Galvin and O'Se gone. Star performers in that game last year and even then Dublin's bench finished them off.

The reason Mayo and Donegal (and Monaghan are if they beat Donegal) are ahead of Kerry is because their defensive, physical styles are exactly what has derailed Kerry with regularity over the last decade. I also think that style is probably the only way someone could actually beat Dublin.

I don't think it's a given Mayo or Donegal would beat Kerry but based on the above and the fact they match up with Dublin's globetrotters best it only makes sense that they are ahead of Kerry.

??? Ó Sé's man was MOTM and I thought Galvin was off the pace masked by his two points.

Gooch was beyond stellar until Cooper, McMahon and O'Carroll singled him out for special 'treatment'. It was nothing short of a masterclass. I don't see how Kerry have even a chance against Dublin without players like that involved when they were so key the last day in a losing performance.

Galvin certainly wasn't on their levels but he was better than the players who occupy the places he would have been in this year.

Kerry tried to do the Kerry thing of being almost fanatical in their self-belief that they were better than their opposition. They played Dublin at their own game with the assumption that they themselves were still the number one exponents of attacking football. And it worked, for a while.

I think you have to choke the space from Dublin if you're going to beat them. They can beat any team in the country in a shoot-out with relative ease because their bench is so strong that no one survives the second wave no matter how good they play. You have to sit back and frustrate Dublin and engage them in exactly the sort of game Donegal did in 2011, albeit with a bit more craft in knowing when to push forward. You have to slow the game down and not leave your front-line players vulnerable to Dublin's depth late on.

Canalman

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2014, 01:05:43 AM

Gooch was beyond stellar until Cooper, McMahon and O'Carroll singled him out for special 'treatment'. It was nothing short of a masterclass. I don't see how Kerry have even a chance against Dublin without players like that involved when they were so key the last day in a losing performance.

Galvin certainly wasn't on their levels but he was better than the players who occupy the places he would have been in this year.

Kerry tried to do the Kerry thing of being almost fanatical in their self-belief that they were better than their opposition. They played Dublin at their own game with the assumption that they themselves were still the number one exponents of attacking football. And it worked, for a while.

I think you have to choke the space from Dublin if you're going to beat them. They can beat any team in the country in a shoot-out with relative ease because their bench is so strong that no one survives the second wave no matter how good they play. You have to sit back and frustrate Dublin and engage them in exactly the sort of game Donegal did in 2011, albeit with a bit more craft in knowing when to push forward. You have to slow the game down and not leave your front-line players vulnerable to Dublin's depth late on.

Wrong Syferus. O'Sullivan was sent to mark C. Cooper in the 2nd half and that was the last we saw of him in the game. No skullduggery at all.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: blanketattack on July 06, 2014, 10:30:59 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 06, 2014, 02:56:04 PM
Kerry will mass the defence and will be interesting to see how their cyncial game has evolved from last year, expect plenty of fouling from Kerry in this half, oblivious to RTE.

Nice prediction

Kerry are a very cynical team, majority of Cork scores came from frees, coincidence?

#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Canalman on July 07, 2014, 09:20:16 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2014, 01:05:43 AM

Wrong Syferus. O'Sullivan was sent to mark C. Cooper in the 2nd half and that was the last we saw of him in the game. No skullduggery at all.

Talking about the off-the-ball antics, not man-marking. I was there at the game and saw it and it was even more obvious in the photographs.

Dublin did the smart thing after Gooch had cut them open so easily in the first half. You can rightly give O'Sulivan some credit for marking him well too but Gooch was targeted in the same way Donegal targeted Johnny Doyle in 2011. Not pretty, but effective.

Bensars

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 07, 2014, 10:13:40 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on July 06, 2014, 10:30:59 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 06, 2014, 02:56:04 PM
Kerry will mass the defence and will be interesting to see how their cyncial game has evolved from last year, expect plenty of fouling from Kerry in this half, oblivious to RTE.

Nice prediction
Kerry are a very cynical team, majority of Cork scores came from frees, coincidence?

There has been a hugh degree of "experience" there for years. To listen to Dermot Early last night on the Sunday Game you would be forgiven to think that kerry had only adopted a defensive strategy this year ! Kerry have been very defensively for years with many men behind the ball, but because so much media attention was paid to other counties by certain ex players, their defensive gameplan escaped the same degree of scrutiny.

Cork were woefully bad. A comprehensive demolition of their greatest rival. Kerry can only beat whats in front of them

Jinxy

The Dubs are very rough alright.
We'll need a strong ref on the 20th.
Does Joe McQuillan still do all the Dublin games?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 07, 2014, 11:43:31 AM
The Dubs are very rough alright.
We'll need a strong ref on the 20th.
Does Joe McQuillan still do all the Dublin games?

Marty Duffy is your only man.

macdanger2

Was at the game yesterday, good crowd but a poor enough game for a neutral.

The seats in Pairc Ui Caoimh are unbelievably uncomfortable, glad it's being redeveloped!! The seats must have been designed for midgets.

On the match itself, pretty much as mentioned on here. Cork were very naïve, no kickout strategy (the keeper tried it once but the ref pulled him back as he was booking someone and he didn't try it again), the FB line were hung out to dry with nobody dropping back to help them and nothing done to remedy this on the sideline - it reminded me of the Mayo / Galway game last summer. The lack of fight from Cork must have been depressing for their supporters, corner forwards losing the ball and barely making half-hearted efforts to get back while Marc O'Se sprinted away up the field on the overlap. If Tipp get Cork in the qualifiers, I'd back Tipp to do the job this time around.

Kerry were very good but you'd have to wonder how they'll play against a better organised team. The forwards won't get that kind of space against any sort of a serious team. That said, they're back in Croker now and will be confident of a September rematch with the Dubs – their last two encounters have seen Dublin win by a single late score and rightly or wrongly Kerry will fancy their chances against them.

macdanger2

One other thing – there was a Cork shot in the first half that was waved wide and after some discussion was confirmed as wide. Where we were sitting on the uncovered side of the field, it looked like it curled well inside although it's obviously hard to tell whether it curled early enough or not – was it any clearer on TV?

Some poor enough calls by the ref in favour of Kerry in the first half and in favour of Cork at the start of the second I thought.

moysider