Donegal v Mayo NFL Final

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, April 15, 2007, 06:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgreenery

This injury thing in Mayo is getting worse and worse. Has anyone ever seen Morvyn play?? Is he any good?, been down to our third choice keeper is really bad. If Kilcullen is out who's to replace him? Heaney or mabye Howley but if Heaney goes there who'll take the midfield position? K O Neill is getting these injuries bad, I wonder would A O Malley or M Conroy take that place?

J70

Are all of these injuries real, or is O'Mahoney playing a few mind games?

ildanach

i would think there are injuries but not so serious as to keep them out, the only ones i can see definately out for sunday are  d brady,t mortimer, mcgarrity, mcdonald and omalley- but that is a heavey injury list 3 definate starters if availabel.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Greenabovethered

Quote from: Redgreenery on April 18, 2007, 04:54:29 PM
This injury thing in Mayo is getting worse and worse. Has anyone ever seen Morvyn play?? Is he any good?, been down to our third choice keeper is really bad. If Kilcullen is out who's to replace him? Heaney or mabye Howley but if Heaney goes there who'll take the midfield position? K O Neill is getting these injuries bad, I wonder would A O Malley or M Conroy take that place?
[/quote

Morvyn??????? Surely they could dig Fintan Ruddy or John Madden out retirement. Even John Healy would be worth the nod. First call up for Mayo, League Final in Croke Park, it could all end in tears. Does Paddy Kenny have a Mayo Granny?

dodo

Quote from: ildanach on April 18, 2007, 05:29:13 PM
i would think there are injuries but not so serious as to keep them out, the only ones i can see definately out for sunday are  d brady,t mortimer, mcgarrity, mcdonald and omalley- but that is a heavey injury list 3 definate starters if availabel.

It is surely a long injury list. But they have all bar O'Malley been absent for the majority of the league, which is encouraging from the point that we have still won all our games except for Donegal and got to the final.

McDonald been out since AI final '06
D Brady and McGarrity out since late february
T Mortimer has not played regularly since 2005

K O'Malley and D Clarke will be big losses as it forces us to play a relative unknown untried goalie. He could be the hero come sunday though  :P.

highfielder

lads mayo sent up the second string team to tyrone left the big guns on the bench and still won comfortably

Fishead_Sam

Yes highfielder but we now are going into our third string players, this means one of two things we are in trouble, or the depth of available talent in Mayo is breath-taking.

Redgreenery

Yeah, without a lot of our players we can win, hard to know how we get beaten with our full team out! But the situation now is getting very bad, now having to resort to unknowen players!

Fishead_Sam

Garymore it seems, any of his clubmen or past opposition have any views, best of luck to him & McNuty the U-21s second goalkeeper who is also filling in for O'Malley

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: J70 on April 18, 2007, 04:56:38 PM
Are all of these injuries real, or is O'Mahoney playing a few mind games?

I wish it was just mind games but I doubt it very much. Anytime Jonno has said we have injuries it has been true, so unfortunately we could be in dire trouble this weekend. Hopefully they are minor injuries and most of the latest casualties will get through 70 mins. It would be much better for both sides to play strong opposition, no point winning a league and raising expectations only for problems to appear in the c'ship.

rosnarun

QuoteJohn Madden
FFSI hope thats not JOM writing under a false name.
any thruth in the rumour (ive just made up ) the dermot geraghty is being recalled to mark Kevin Mcmenemen neither of the over 5 foot, Id pay to see that  it'd be like watching a really good under 12 match
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Msgr. Horan

All I want from Sunday is a good solid performance, especially from the key number 3 and 6 positions. I dont expect any miracles in midfield because I think we all know we only making the best of what we have there until some of the missing men return. We're still winning a fair share of breaking ball which is encouraging. Thats no knock on Heaney who is doing a fine job under the circumstances, I think we all just know its a stop gap and if DB or RMCG return then he'll be in the 6 jersey. I dont know where BJ goes then, but hes good enough to deserve a spot in the team. thats not sentiment, hes one of the few players you can be guaranteed will always give 100% and it was a testemant to him that he didnt go missing last September in Croker. I dont know why he was subbed that day.
Anyway, hoping for a solid performance, I dont really care about the result that much, more the performance although granted if the win is there for the taking in the last 5 minutes we would be very glad of it.
One thing I'm starting to like about this team is that we are becoming stickey f**kers who dont really know when they are beating. The victory over Galway was a Meath under Sean Boylan type situation. To be fair Galway should have had the game wrapped up but we hung in there and snuck it. The same thing has happened this year against Cork, Dublin and you could even argue Tyrone. Thats the most encourgaging thing I've seen so far under Johno's reign.

nephinbeg

padden could maybe do a job at 14 as we still need some form of physical prescence. Padden can play anywhere and maybe thats his downfall but he has yet to get a runa round a chb despite marking some good footballers there, as a belmullet freind of mne told me, only two men have scored of him in the league so far. I did not think he should have started the aif last year but turns out he was our best player that day by a long way, still got subbed - was madness. 

We need Harte in the thick if things on sunday, and maybe another run for aom as wee need a little more bulk against these fella,  they will run riot in the middle when they did not, Just hope we win !!!!!

Maradona

In fairness lads, feck the performance, the result is everything on Sunday. Our last two managers got us to AI Finals and we were badly beaten and we all blamed the management for it. Now the man the majority of us wanted has us in another final, can he do any different? Please dont say 'its only the league' because that is bull. If Mayo arnt good enough or arnt motivated enough to go out and beat Donegal with all the stuff that has been, then we may as well admit we will not do it under this group of players. We have beaten Tyrones, Dublins, Galways in big matches over the years, now its time we started doing it in finals. All due respect to Donegal, but they are not yet Kerry, Tyrone, Armagh or even Dublin. I am surprised the media have not made more of 'Mayo - another final - can they do it' thing, but behind the facade I imagine the management and the players know Sunday is a mini watershed for them and I expect the performance to match that.
Expecting that, I expect a win.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: Maradona on April 19, 2007, 01:51:40 PM
In fairness lads, feck the performance, the result is everything on Sunday. Our last two managers got us to AI Finals and we were badly beaten and we all blamed the management for it. Now the man the majority of us wanted has us in another final, can he do any different? Please dont say 'its only the league' because that is bull. If Mayo arnt good enough or arnt motivated enough to go out and beat Donegal with all the stuff that has been, then we may as well admit we will not do it under this group of players. We have beaten Tyrones, Dublins, Galways in big matches over the years, now its time we started doing it in finals. All due respect to Donegal, but they are not yet Kerry, Tyrone, Armagh or even Dublin. I am surprised the media have not made more of 'Mayo - another final - can they do it' thing, but behind the facade I imagine the management and the players know Sunday is a mini watershed for them and I expect the performance to match that.
Expecting that, I expect a win.

I dont agree with you Maradonna, we won the league in 2001, and Cross and Ballina have won All Ireland finals in Croker so that removes the hoodoo of Mayo teams not being able to win finals. The reason an good performance is required as this is what will tell us where we potentially stand for the championship, as that is what the real goal has to be. I dont know about you, but I wont be too happy if "all" we win is the league and have a dismal championship. Lets be honest here about how important the performance is versus the result, in both Laois games and the Dublin game we allowed the result to paper over the performance. In all 3 games our backs were complete shite and we all know what happened versus Kerry.
I'd be perfectly happy to win the league but would have serious concerns if the performance is not up to par given its only 4 weeks till the championship and the big one versus the Tribesmen. Donegal will be mad to win this one as the press are blowing shite about them not being able to win a final since 91. I'd gladly swtich places with them if we had won Sam that recently.