Donegal v Mayo NFL Final

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, April 15, 2007, 06:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OirthearMhaigheo

We'll need to improve alot next week if we're going to stop the form team in the country from winning their first league title. However, if Devenney doesn't make it that's worth a few points to Mayo. Glad the game is in croker to be honest, it gives our lads another chance to play there and exorcise a few more ghosts (unless we feckin lose again!!). It's also good for the Likes of Kicullen who had never played there before yesterday.
By the way Kilmovee is on a different side of Ballaghaderren to Carracastle. The Mayo border goes to within 3 miles of Ballagh on that side of town. O'Mahony is indeed from one of the last houses on the Mayo side of Ballagh, i.e. he's from just inside Kilmovee parish. I hope that clears things up for Messrs Carty et al.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Kieran Shannon did say in his article that Johnno was born in the last house on the Mayo side of Ballaghaderreen, not from there (which assumes that part of Ballaghaderreen is actually in Mayo), or is that a non-existent/nonsensical subtlety lads?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

OirthearMhaigheo

AH fear, its an age old debate that shows no sign of ending any time soon! Ballaghaderren is in ross, was in Mayo, part of the parish is in Mayo, Jonno was born in Kilmovee which is in Mayo, but he now lives in Ballagh. Clear as mud??

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on April 16, 2007, 11:32:33 AM
AH fear, its an age old debate that shows no sign of ending any time soon! Ballaghaderren is in ross, was in Mayo, part of the parish is in Mayo, Jonno was born in Kilmovee which is in Mayo, but he now lives in Ballagh. Clear as mud??

Thanks OirthearMhaigheo, crystal  ;)

Fishead_Sam

He is from inside Mayos County Boundaries, but even if he was not and born in Ballagh he is still as much an Mayoman as someone born in Derry is an Irishman.

Ballagh GAA & 85% from there of their people consider it Mayo. Even look up the AIB website, they have listed the AIB in Ballagh as being in Mayo. I have met many Ballagh people and the actually say they are from County Mayo or Ballaghadeeren County Mayo despite the 5 miles into Rossie, this due to the fact that a Greedy Landlord called Dillon had the area moved about 120 years ago from Mayo to Rossie, he was a British MP and had a motion passed to move the parishs, he did it because land rates for Landlord was cheeper in Roscommon than Mayo. It was against the will of the locals and against the will of Ballaghadeeren GAA a founder club of the Mayo GAA.

OirthearMhaigheo

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on April 16, 2007, 12:59:51 PM
He is from inside Mayos County Boundaries, but even if he was not and born in Ballagh he is still as much an Mayoman as someone born in Derry is an Irishman.

Wasn't disputing that in the slightest. And as for Derry... sure that's a whole different planet don't you know!  ;)

westmayo

On the football front, Mayo will have a lot of work to do next weekend if they are going to over turn Donegal in the final. Yesterday Mayo were very sloppy on a number of occasions with at least three poorly judged passes out of defence ending up in Galway scores.  The forwards didn't look sharp, took the wrong options on a number of ocasions. I know that the win was paramount yesterday, but we need to be looking for better performances especially with the championship not to far away.

highking

Anyone have a throw in time yet

Tubberman

4pm throw-in.
The U-21 game v Laois is on at 3pm on Sat in the Hyde
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

IolarCoisCuain

The NFL final is throwing in at four I believe, and is preceeded by the Colleges Final.

The D2 semi-finals are under lights in Croker on Saturday night, Meath v Monaghan at six and Roscommon v Cavan at 7.45.

Fishead_Sam

So it would be possible to travel from Mayo to Roscommon catch the match against Laois then head up to Croker for saturday night then off to Croker again on Sunday, sounds like a damn good weekends entertainment to me.

Redgreenery

This is the line up for Sunday in Croker:
PAIRC AN CHROCAIGH
ALLIANZ NATIONAL FOOTBALL 
12:45PM CROKE CUP FINAL
2:15PM HOGAN CUP FINAL
4PM NFL DIVISION 1 FINAL
SUN 22-APR-07

highfielder

Farrandeelin

Won't be able to make the game v Laois in Roscommon as I've loads of college stuff to get through on Saturday. I will be at the NFL final though on Sunday. I don't think it's fair to the players involved in both to be playing 2 games in the one weekend but I suppose they are all super fit and would have no qualms with playing the games. PS, who are in the Croke cup final?? Hopefully the Mayo fans will travel in larger numbers than travelled yesterday. Donegal will more than likely bring a massive croud as they attempt to bring a bit of National silverware back to the hills for the first time in 15 years, I don't think I'll be too disappointed with the May contingent that travel on Sunday though. Donegal will start as favourites no doubt as they are unbeaten this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.