BBC 110 World Cup Greatest Players

Started by Wildweasel74, June 08, 2014, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

mentioned Puskas on the opening post, would have had him in the team as a deep lying midfielder, he on the site as a striker, though my team would been very unbalanced, with the defensive midfielder over run by himself

stew

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 11, 2014, 06:42:40 PM
mentioned Puskas on the opening post, would have had him in the team as a deep lying midfielder, he on the site as a srtiker, though my team would been very unbalanced, with the defensive midfielder over run by himself

I stand corrected weasel, Ferenc was unreal as were any of the players mention on this thread!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: Canalman on June 10, 2014, 10:52:13 AM
Personally think a minimum of playing 2 good World Cup finals needed to make the team. Would rule likes of Rossi, Cruyff and a few others out.

Lineker would make my team.

Could easily have a goalie and entire backline made up of Italians tbh.

Lineker  :D

Great player but even Greaves was a ton better!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Wildweasel74

A poacher nothing more, not a inch on Van Basten, Ronaldo, Pele, Eusebio, or Zico

moysider

Late to this thread but this would be my overall XI ( but its silly as well as impossibly but fun.

Maier.

Gentille
Baresi
Der Kaiser
Maldini

Garrincha
Socrates
Falcao/Gerson
Cruyff

Pele
Maradonna

Rossie11

Here's a question for Italian (or "real") defender fans
In 2010 Spain conceded no goals in the knock outs on their way to winning it
If the same thing happened this year would anyone put Ramos or Pique in ahead of any of the Italians?? Or will those 2 every be considered proper defenders?

moysider

Quote from: Rossie11 on June 11, 2014, 11:58:08 PM
If the same thing happened this year would anyone put Ramos or Pique in ahead of any of the Italians?? Or will those 2 every be considered proper defenders?

No. No player or nothing that happens now will upset the historical greats of the game - unless England win another World cup. Nobody ever can ever be as good as Garrincha, Pele, Maradonna or Cruffi no more than there be changes to the Presidents on Mt. Rushmore. They are timeless.
Football is the polar opposite of the Gaelic. Gaelic only started in 2002 and football was finishing up as a credible sport round about then but in reality it was fucked up long before then. A bit like the boxing. Only fighters from 70s,80s, and 90s qualify. Or earlier if you re old enough to have seen Sugar Ray or De Stefano. Later stuff is over paid and hyped. Messi or Ronaldo the Port. can never be considered better than the earlier players for obvious reasons.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rossie11 on June 11, 2014, 11:58:08 PM

My view is that Spain's midfield's ball-retention was so good that their defence wasn't truly 'tested' - the opposition was so bollocksed trying to get the ball that they weren't able to do anything with it when they got it.  As Spain's midfield is now on the wain I think this WC will tell us about the defensive merits of the two in question.

I'm like a child today I'm so excited.   :D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

PAULD123

Quote from: moysider on June 12, 2014, 12:18:58 AM
No. No player or nothing that happens now will upset the historical greats of the game - unless England win another World cup. Nobody ever can ever be as good as Garrincha, Pele, Maradonna or Cruffi no more than there be changes to the Presidents on Mt. Rushmore. They are timeless.
Football is the polar opposite of the Gaelic. Gaelic only started in 2002 and football was finishing up as a credible sport round about then but in reality it was fucked up long before then. A bit like the boxing. Only fighters from 70s,80s, and 90s qualify. Or earlier if you re old enough to have seen Sugar Ray or De Stefano. Later stuff is over paid and hyped. Messi or Ronaldo the Port. can never be considered better than the earlier players for obvious reasons.

I don't agree with that. I've seen football since the days of Cruyff. Yes there are some great historical players from the 70's and 80's who would be better than most players today. There isn't a team around that wouldn't take Platini, Cruyff, Maradona, or Pele over anyone in their current line-up today, But I firmly believe that given a choice between Cristiano Ronaldo and any other wide player, in history that Ronaldo would be selected. I think that we are seeing a great of the game right now. he is head and shoulders above the players in Madrid and they are all world class to begin with.

Messi is slightly different in that he is a No.10. So he is up against Maradona and several other greats in that position. He deserves to be mentioned with them but I would never pick him ahead of Maradona.

Though, both Messi & Ronaldo really need to prove something at world level to cement their memories. I think Ronaldo is finally on the brink of showing his class at this tournament, providing he isn't hampered by injury

Hardy

Brazil

Gonzo
Junior  Minor  Senior  Tom
Inho  Meenho  Minho  Mo
Tennyson  Macbeth

Hardy

Mozarella
Mirafiori  Spaghetti  Consigliere  Trapattoni
Macaroni  Cascarino  Vermicelli
Tutti-Frutti  Valpolicella  Pepperoni

Hardy

I'm going to keep at this till someone makes me stop.

Pistachio
Oratorio  Pinnochio  Studio  Patio 
Scenario  Portfolio  Cheerio 
Polio  Rio-de-Janerio  Fellatio

Hardy

Grnzy 
Yrngz  Z. Znyrg  Ngryz  Rnzgy
Nrgzy  Nyrgz  Gzynr  Y.Znyrg
Gzrny  Andy Reid

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Hardy on June 12, 2014, 12:13:53 PM
I'm going to keep at this till someone makes me stop.

Pistachio
Oratorio  Pinnochio  Studio  Patio 
Scenario  Portfolio  Cheerio 
Polio  Rio-de-Janerio  Fellatio

Out injured, tight muscle
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Hardy

Archer
Baker  Fletcher  Hunter  Miller
Robber  Gouger  Gurrier
Spinnaker  Oxbow-Lake